Zombie apocalypse

Chapter 3

~Sometime in the early morning (2)~
A clap of thunder sounded outside and it woke me up instantly.

I opened my eyes as I saw lightning light up the sky.

Ryan, still passed out, groaned as I moved to open the blinds a little to watch.

Cracks of light filled up the sky as the roar of thunder filled my ears.

Ryan’s arm tightened around my waist as I shifted back down to lay on his chest.

I felt him take a deep breath and I watched as I met his startling blue eyes.

“You haven’t changed have you, always waking up to watch the storm,” He said groggily.

I laughed and kissed his chest.

“Nope, it’s like watching TV only it’s unedited,” I spoke quietly.

He laughed and rubbed my bare shoulder lovingly as we watched the lightning.

After a while I saw a lone figure standing out in the storm.

It was hunched in a terrible position and it was missing an arm.

“Ryan there’s a zombie out there,” I whispered.

My house had iron wrought fencing around it, so we were ok it was just odd to see a zombie.

We were transfixed as it stood there and looked up into the clouds.

Then in a flash, lightning struck it down and it slowly burned.

When nothing was left, the storm seemed to have stopped and it was only raining.

~In the kitchen 9am~

I was fixing up some eggs and smoothies so we didn’t have waste the perishable foods when I felt someone’s stare on me.

“Didn’t anyone tell you it’s impolite to stare,” I called out to the person.

“I was only wondering what a young woman like you holds herself well, without a parental figure,” John spoke coming out from behind the corner.

I sighed, “My mom was away a lot when I was younger and still is so I’ve learned to fend for myself.”

“So no father figure I guess?” he asked.

I shook my head as a silent tear fell down my face.

My father had passed away last spring from diabetes complications.

Thankfully Ryan was there to hold me up at my weakest moment like I was able to do for him, yesterday.

I heard the floor creak and felt an arm around my shoulder and felt a hand wipe away my tears, Ryan held my face and smiled his goofy smile.

John silently left when I leaned into Ryan, and relaxed.

“Hey it’s ok,” Ryan said lovingly.

I smiled in appreciation and moved the plate of eggs to the table as both Nolan and Lily rolled in.

“Morning,” I greeted as I set the eggs and bacon down in front of each of them.

They grumbled a good morning.

Lily ate slowly as she watched Ryan and I clean up the mess.

“So I was thinking of leaving right after breakfast since we packed most of the stuff last night,” I voiced out.

“Do we want to take both cars or just one?” Ryan asked me.

“I was thinking we could just take my car it’ll just be a tight squeeze in the back seat,” I said.

“I don’t mind,” John commented.

So we agreed to take my car and packed up the last few things and I locked my house and we left.

We drove for about two hours, me driving, Ryan in shotgun; John and the kids in the back.

We reached the outskirts of a little town called Fisher when I saw the familiar road to the safe house.

“Here we are,” I said pulling up the dirt road.

It was a spacious farmhouse with a gas dispenser, a windmill, a barn and plenty of land with iron gates running around the property.

“Wow,” Nolan commented as I parked the car.

We unloaded the car and brought everything inside.

The house was somewhat clean, just a couple cobwebs in a corner or too.

We put the supplies away but put the guns in areas if we needed to protect ourselves.

John went to the bathroom and the kids were watching the TV when I came downstairs.

Ryan was laying on one of the couches when I sat down in front of him.

“ So how long do you think we can stay here?” Nolan asked me turning away from the TV.

“I think we should be ok for a while but eventually we are gonna have to go into town to get more supplies, I mean we have enough for a year but I just want to be safe,” I answered.