The Chaser and the Keeper

► More than Friends

***

Jessica quickly dashed out of the common room, desperate to escape the glares of the people in her house. Everyone was so angry at her. She knew she screwed up. James had yelled at her loud enough to wake the dead and everyone she ran into reminded her of it. Jessica just wanted to forget that the game had ever happened.

Thinking of what Kailey had said made her blood boil. Kailey had pushed her buttons and caused her to be distracted from the game. If Kailey hadn’t screwed with Jessica’s mind, Gryffindor could have won the game. Of course it didn’t help that everything Kailey had said was true. She did fancy Fred. She had fancied him since third year. However, she was certain that the friend zone was where she’d be spending the rest of her time.

“Jessica! Wait up!” she heard a voice call behind her.

She froze. She would recognize that voice from anywhere. In most cases, she would have been thrilled to talk to him. However, she was certain that he was just going to yell at her like everyone else. She had to face him, though. Otherwise, he could figure out what really was bothering her.

“Hi Fred,” Jessica replied, plastering a fake smile on her face as she turned around.

No matter how much she didn’t want to see him at the moment, her heart started to beat faster. Her fake smile turned into a real one. Damn, this confrontation was not going to be easy at all.

“Why aren’t you in the common room with everyone else?” Fred asked.

“In case you didn’t notice, everyone hates me,” Jessica replied, “They hate me more then they hated James after the house cup game last year.”

“I don’t think they hate you that much. You just got distracted; we all get distracted at times. Why were you talking to Kailey anyway?”

“I was trying to distract her!”

“Well, it seems as if that kind of back fired.”

Jessica looked at the ground and nodded.

“What were you two talking about any way?”

Jessica gulped. This conversation was definitely not heading in the direction that she wanted it to.

“Just potions homework,” Jessica lied, “I just got really excited that I did better on the homework than she did.”

“You really suck at lying, Jess,” Fred replied, “Anyway, you told me yesterday that you got an acceptable on the homework while Kailey got an outstanding.”

This wasn’t really going well for Jessica. She was making a fool out of herself. He was going to find out eventually. It would make things so awkward.

“There are not many things that can get you to freak out and be that distracted,” Fred pondered.

“I think I’m going to go to sleep now so I’ll see you tomorrow Fred,” Jessica stated, heading back towards the common room.

“It’s only three in the afternoon!”

Jessica continued walking towards the common room, acting as if she didn’t hear what he had said. However, what he said next caused her to stop in her tracks.

“Were you talking about me?”

Fuck, Jessica thought, This isn’t happening. I just have to stay calm and deny everything. Maybe I can save our friendship.

“No, of course not,” Jessica stuttered, “That’s preposterous. Why -”

She was interrupted before she could ask her question though. He had pressed her lips against hers. She had to admit, it felt more amazing than her wildest dreams. Had he actually fallen for her? She kissed him back hard, clearing her mind of any doubts she had. He ran his fingers through her hair. They stayed there for a few seconds before separating from each other.

“That was amazing,” Fred whispered.

“Totally,” Jessica agreed.

“We should do that again.”

He leaned in but she stopped him. As much as she loved Fred, she hadn’t been blind to his long line of snog buddies that had come and go over the years. Jessica was determined not to end up being on of them.

“Fred, I really fancy you, but if you’re just interested in using me as your next snog buddy, I’m not interested,” Jessica stated firmly.

“Why would I do that?” Fred asked.

“Well, you never really have actual relationships. It’s pretty much just snogging random girls all the time in broom closets. If you’re planning the same thing with me, I’m not interested. It’s better just to tell me now.”

Fred grabbed her hand and looked her in the eyes. It was strange for Jessica, because he actually looked serious for once.

“Jessica, I’ve been really good friends with you since first year. We’ve been there for each other through everything. Do you think I’d risk losing a friend like you just to try and make you a snog buddy?” Fred asked, “I’ve fancied you for months, Jess. I first realized it when you were knocked unconscious during that quidditch game last May. Holding you in my arms as I brought you to the ground made me realize that I wanted to be more to you than just a friend. That I couldn’t stand the idea of losing you.

“If I was brave, I would have told you when you woke up. I have no idea why I’m in Gryffindor, because I’m not all that brave. When you were being very vague about what you were talking about, I realized that you might fancy me as well. So I risked it. Jess, will you be my girlfriend?”

“Yes!” Jessica exclaimed, tackling him with a hug.

For the first time that day, Jessica was glad that Kailey had been such a pain in the ass. She didn’t care that most of Gryffindor was pissed at her. She didn’t even care that they had lost the game. After all, there were more important things in life, and quidditch was just a game.
♠ ♠ ♠
A/N: I am so sorry that i had taken a long time updating this. please don't hate meeee.. TT_________TT