Merch Girl.

Vancouver.

Canada was cooler, throwing on a The Maine sweater and shorts with tights, ‘so you majored in Music?’ ‘minored in philosophy’ she smiled, ‘really?’ ‘hmm, really like it, and I’d read a lot of it before I got into university’ he smiled, ‘you like Sartre?’ ‘I do, actually, though, I still think Sociology has more influence on our lives, but part of that is family and friends, existentialism makes sense’ he smiled ‘we’ll get on fine’ she nodded, ‘did my mum ask you to keep an eye on me?’ ‘she did, but you’re an adult, when you’re drunk, I’ll save your ass, that’s taking care to me’ he laughed, ‘thanks’ she smiled, ‘I like the way you talk, it’s just can you walk the walk and be the better man, consider that existential problem’ he smiled, ‘you make a good point’.

‘Lu, do you want coffee?’ John asked, ‘I’m really busy for the next hour’ he nodded, ‘well, can I help?’ ‘if you’re free but you have interviews in 30 minutes anyway’ he sighed, ‘so, can I get you alone?’ ‘I, I think you have a hour around 3, is that alright?’ ‘sure’ he smiled, ‘do you know the whole schedule?’ ‘it’s very boring, and if I don’t know what’s going on I get anxious’ he smiled, ‘oh, darling’ she felt her stomach do funny things, ‘I have to finish up and you have pupfresh’ she smiled, ‘thanks for the advanced warning’ she smiled, ‘any time’ she nodded, finishing up.

John bought her coffee and a cupcake, removing the icing slowly, and licking it off her finger, he smiled, ‘so, whatcha like doing?’ ‘I love music, I like old motorbikes, I own a Harley, I read a lot, I don’t know, normal stuff’ ‘I own a motorbike..’ ‘I bet it’s new and some lurid colour’ ‘it’s orange’ ‘accurate then’ laughing talking over coffee, he smiled, ‘you’re around for the whole next 5 weeks’ ‘indeed, I finish in Tucson too’ he smiled, ‘good, I like you’ ‘I had a feeling’ she smiled, ‘anyway, your lovely fans will be waiting to buy stuff, and Joel has promised me a guitar lesson’ ‘you can’t play guitar?’ ‘I can play piano I guess, I just never needed to’ he smiled, ‘well, if you need another’ ‘I will, I assure you, I play drums too, I think it’s cos it’s in front of you’ he smiled, ‘maybe’.

John led her back, ‘thanks for joining me’ ‘oh, no problem’ he smiled, ‘good, right, I need to get back’ she kissed his cheek, ‘have a good set’ he grinned practically skipping into soundcheck, as she begun to get stuck in, ‘thanks for your money’ she smiled, finishing up, she began to pack up, ‘can you come and help, it gets crazy’ she nodded, ‘course’ walking with Joel, ‘good lesson?’ ‘thanks’ ‘oh, no problem’ she smiled, ‘John likes you’ ‘John likes women, and I have the only boobs on tour’ Joel laughed, ‘well, the only ones who has to have them’ they laughed, heaidng out for signings, ‘this is Lucy, she’s our merch girl’ ‘just call me Gu’ helping the order, she loved this.