Conflicted

The Malfunction.

Imagine Earth as a big machine that rotates and revolves and stays afloat in a massive expanse of stars and air and other planets. It produces plants and creatures and holds them down so they don't float away in space. Now, bearing in mind Earth is a machine and nothing more, you'll need people to operate it and a battery to keep it working.

The Operators resemble creatures on the Earth they call humans. They resemble them, but they are so much more. Granted powers from the so-called 'battery', the Operators keep nature's balance, working in harmony with all Mother Earth's creatures.

The battery, the Earth's life source, is Surge, and it lives deep within the planet's core like a beating heart, using gravity and energy to bring life to its body. If Surge is killed, the planet dies. Surge relies upon his Operators to protect his world. Surge is your god, and the Operators are your angels.

Again, bear in mind that the Earth is a machine. Machines malfunction. Machines catch viruses. One particular malfunction is Cease, the rebel Operator, and he cannot be destroyed. He set out to cause chaos, to bring down Surge and take his place as controller of the Earth.

No other Operators have ever been immoral enough to join him.

Until Rain was born.
♠ ♠ ♠
Rewriting this. Hopefully it won't suck so hard this time around.