Conflicted

Panic on the Airship.

Gabriel swept down the corridor, his white and gold cloak billowing behind him. Irritation beat at his stomach like wasps, and his face was contorted into an ugly frown. He glanced out the window as he walked, at the puffy white clouds and the world below. His daughter was down there somewhere, causing havoc wherever she was, and time was running out.

He burst into the conference room, late, trying to compose himself and mask his fury. Nine Operators sat in their seats, waiting, the seat at the head of the table taken by their leader, Cassiel. He was dressed in golden robes, and his sleek black hair had been pulled into a neat braid that trailed down his back.

Gabriel took his seat beside Cassiel, clearing his throat and muttering an apology to the board. Unfortunately for Gabriel, most of the airship was made from glass, so he had a perfect view of the Earth below, a constant reminder of what a failure he was to his daughter.

"It's nice to see you all, as ever," began Cassiel, folding his hands on the table in front of him. "Let's not waste any more time. Gabriel, why don't you tell us why we're all here?"

Gabriel sighed. "It's... My daughter."

Immediately, murmurs began to spread around the table, building up like an angry swarm of insects, and Gabriel closed his eyes in disdain. He knew this would happen. No one believed she was a threat. She was just over three hundred, still a child. This was just a faze to them. But they didn't know Gabrielle like he did.

"Please," projected Cassiel, casting silence around the room. "Let us hear what Gabriel has to say."

"This is the fifth meeting you've called since she left," complained Thrones, rising from his seat and banging his staff on the floor for emphasis. "We've all agreed she won't do any harm. Why do you keep pursuing this, Gabriel?"

"She's taken a human hostage," Gabriel proclaimed, "a girl!"

"Are you sure it's a hostage?" asked Cassiel. "Has she broken any of the rules?"

"Several," confirmed Gabriel. "Fraternising with a human girl. Surge's energy flow needs to continue onto new lives. Humans need to reproduce in order to-"

"Those rules are old fashioned," Seraph cut in. "The humans continue to reproduce. There is no problem there."

"That's not all!" Gabriel exclaimed, growing flustered. "Gabrielle has been toying with Free Will."

"Are you sure?" Cassiel asked again, and Gabreil struggled not to roll his eyes.

"I saw the girl's eyes," he snapped, failing to keep the bitterness from his tone. "She's under the Influence."

"Well there's a simple way to deal with that," said Thrones decisively, pushing back his seat to leave. "You've wasted our time yet again, Gabriel."

"Wait!" cried Gabriel as the others followed suit. "Stop, please!"

"I'm sorry, Gabriel," sighed Cassiel, rising to his feet. "I fear they may be right. Please stop bothering the council with news of your daughter."

"She's trying to summon Cease!" cried Gabriel.

Every Operator in the room froze. For a heartbeat, all was silent. And then uproar occurred. Thrones stamped his staff on the ground in outrage, almost cracking the glass floor. Seraph let out a harsh scream, horror consuming her pretty face. The Operators screamed at each other in protest, panic overcoming them.

Gabriel sat back in his seat, conjuring a wine glass out of thin air and taking a sip of the bitter liquid. He felt serenity take him over, relieved that he'd finally got through to them. All he had to do now was wait. Gabrielle would be taken in and locked up, and all this would be over.

"Everyone please, COMPOSE YOURSELVES!" thundered Cassiel, and the room fell silent.

Everyone turned to face Cassiel, awaiting guidance from their leader. He stroked his neat black beard thoughtfully, pacing the room behind his chair. He looked to Gabriel, whose gaze never wavered from his wine.

"There is not yet reason enough to panic," announced Cassiel, and Gabriel finally glanced up at him. "No one has seen Cease anywhere for hundreds of years. I will have Gabrielle followed for the next few weeks, and if Cease shows, we will take action. We will not let him overthrow Surge. We will protect the Earth."

Gabriel scowled into his glass. He'd expected Cassiel to take more drastic action, before it was too late. Cease was smart; he wouldn't approach Gabrielle while she was being watched. Why was Gabriel the only one who knew this? Why would no one listen to him?

He got up, his chair scraping against the glass floor, and swept out of the room, having heard enough. At least with Gabrielle being watched, she couldn't meet up with Cease. That was something. Maybe they'd catch her in the act and finally bring her home. There was still time to turn all this around, make her realise she belonged here, with her family.

Gabriel heard footsteps clinking on the glass behind him, but he didn't stop walking until Seraph fell into step with him, breathing heavily, her golden hair falling out of its bun.

"Is it really true, Gabriel?" she whispered, and he scowled at her. "Is she really trying to summon him?"

"Why would I lie, Seraph?" he snapped, and it was her turn to frown.

"You've wanted nothing more than to get Gabrielle back since she left."

"She's dangerous," he hissed. "And now we have proof of that."

"You think she'll really do it?"

He crossed his arms and looked at her for a while before saying, "Our daughter is reckless. She'll do whatever it takes, and she's smart enough to realise she's being watched. She'll be careful."

"What can we do?" she whispered.

"She has to be stopped," he announced, "and if Cassiel won't do it, I will."
♠ ♠ ♠
Please comment? I'm lonely over here ;D