‹ Prequel: Madness

Just Bent

Right From the Start

The players invited for the all star game sat in suits, each waiting for their name to be called, either for Team Gaborik or Team Toews. With one of his first picks, Marian grabbed Duncan, shooting a smirk in Jonathan's direction. He soon had an impressive collection of players, including Patrick Kane, Hank and Pekka. Jonathan had nabbed Roman, as well Marc Staal and Kris LeTang.

On his next pick, Marian picked up Shea and Camille cheered wildly for him. When he reached the stage, he pulled on his jersey and turned to the waiting interviewer.

"Shea Weber, how does it feel to be the twelfth pick?"

"Really nice," he answered.

"You're having a great season so far. Rumor is you got married just before the season started. Any truth to that?"

He grinned. "That is true. Four months ago,the week before training camp started to be exact."

"Is that why you've been playing so well?"

"Yes!" Pekka called out behind him. The players on the stage laughed, as well as the people in the arena. "She keeps him on his toes," Pekka laughed.

"Why did you pick Shea?" The interviewer asked Marian.

Marian grinned easily. "Because his wife would've disowned me as a friend if I didn't. She likes me better than Tazer and I’m trying to keep it that way." Shea shook his head as he took his seat amongst Team Gaborik and the draft continued.

When the draft had concluded, a group of the guys convened at a local club for drinks and revelry. Camille held court in a group of players, laughing and joking with them. Shea handed her a drink and she returned to her conversations.

Duncan eyed the crowded bar, scanning the women crammed inside.There were all kinds of girls vying for the attention of the hockey players assembled. Girls in tiny dresses, girls in jeans. Aggressive girls who approached the guys, passive girls who held their eye a moment too long before turning away, waiting for them to make their move.

And then there was the girl.

She was sitting at the bar, carrying a conversation with the female bartender between her serving drinks to the crowded club. A few men had approached her but she had dismissed each of them in short order. Duncan was debating how to ask her to dance without being another dismissal when Camille walked up and squeezed his arm.

“Who are we looking at?” she asked, following his gaze. “She looks normal.”

“She’s barely said two words to anyone other than the bartender all night.”

Camille's face lit up. “So I’ll talk to her.”

“You think that will work?”

“Why not?”

“I dunno,” Duncan shrugged.

“I’ll have you know I am a very good wingman.”

“I’m sure you are.”

"You don't believe me."

"I mean, you're a girl. Normally I have Seabs for this kind of thing."

"Trust me, I'm better than Seabs. Watch." Camille moved confidently towards the bar and slid into the space beside her, ordering a drink. She started chatting with the girl, and then caught Shea's eye and waved him over.

Shea slid an arm around Camille and kissed the exposed nape of her neck. The girl smiled and shook hands with him as Camille introduced her. They laughed about something and then Camille was leading her towards him with a triumphant smile.

"Who is that?" Patrick asked, sitting down beside Duncan and watching Camille.

"Not for you," Duncan growled.

"Amanda, these are some of my friends. That's Patrick. Ignore him at all costs and this is Duncan. He's one of my best friends."

"It's nice to meet you both."

"Cammie!" Rick called out as he sauntered over. "Dance with me!"

"Did my hunk of a husband lay out his ground rules for you?" Camille asked.

Rick rolled his eyes. "Yes."

"Okay, I'm in. Be back in a little while." She waved and followed Rick through the club.

"I'm out," Patrick announced. He wandered off, leaving Duncan alone with Amanda.

"So..." Duncan said.

Amanda smiled. "You and Camille are friends?"

"Yeah, we've known each other for four years."

"How did you meet?"

"In a hotel bar truth be told. Some creep was hitting on her and my teammates girlfriend, well, his wife now, she walked over to Camille like she was late and they had known each other forever and she hung out with us that night and that was it. She was a part of our group from then on."

"Teammate? You play a sport?"

"Hockey."

"Oh."

"Not a hockey fan I take it?"

"Never followed it. I should. They're crazy for the Blackhawks where I live."

"You're from Chicago?" Duncan asked.

"I am. Izzy, she's the bartender, she moved here last year for graduate school. I told her I'd visit but I haven't been able to get time off until now."

"How long are you here?"

"Through next week."

"You should come to a Blackhawks game when you’re home. I could get you tickets."

"You could?"

"Yeah. I play for the Blackhawks."

"You do?"

Duncan nodded. "For eight years."

"Oh."

"Is that too forward?"

"No; I just didn't expect to meet anyone from Chicago here."

"Me neither. At least not anyone that wasn't already teammate."

"Why are you here?"

"All star game weekend."

Amanda nodded. "You're an all star?"

"Yep."

"Have you won a championship?"

"I have, in 2010. I won a gold medal that year too."

"As in an Olympic gold medal?"

"The one and the same," Duncan smiled.

"Wow," Amanda replied. "Impressive."

"If you wanted to, you could come Saturday to the game. You could sit with Camille; she'd teach you the game, if you wanted."

"Izzy is off on Saturday...."

"You could both come. It's no problem."

"Let me talk to her about it."

"Okay. Let me give you my number and you call me and let me know." Amanda nodded and pulled her phone out, adding Duncan to her contacts. "Do you want to dance?" He asked as she stowed her phone in her purse.

"Sure," she said. Duncan offered his hand to her and she placed hers in his, letting him lead her out into the packed crowd of bodies. Camille spotted them and she caught Duncan's eye, mouthing 'I told you so' to him. He rolled his eyes back at her and she laughed, spinning back to Rick.

"Why are we laughing?" Rick shouted in her ear over the music.

"Because I'm always right and Duncs is wrong," Camille answered him.

"We're hockey players; of course we're wrong."

"You've got a leg up on the competition since you already recognize that shit. Come on," she said, taking his hand. "I need a drink. You buy."

"Hey Izzy!" Camille called out when they reached the bar. "This is my friend Rick."

"Hi Rick," Izzy said brightly. "What'll it be?"

"You," he answered with a smirk.

"Oh Lord, Rick," Camille said, swatting his chest. "That's not how you talk to a woman."

"Sorry; I'm Rick, you're really hot and I want to get to know you, Izzy."

"Better," Izzy commented. "I'll let your bad manners slide because you're also really hot and I want to get to know your mouth."

"Does that mean we're gonna make out? I'm totally down for that if it does."

"I have a break in twenty minutes. We are definitely making out."

"Sweet!" Rick exclaimed.

"I'll find you," Izzy told him with a wink before turning to help customers at the other end of the bar.

"You are the best wingman ever," Rick told Camille, hugging her tight.

"You're welcome," Camille laughed.

"Did you forget the rules?" Shea asked, coming up behind Rick and tapping his shoulder.

"Your wife is awesome! The hot bartender is going to make out with me!"

"He's a little excited," Camille told Shea. "Forgive him." She slid away from Rick and wrapped an arm around Shea, going on tiptoe to kiss him. "Love you, Webs."

"Love you too, Mrs. Webs."
♠ ♠ ♠
This should come as no surprise but expect at the least a one shot spinoff (eventually) for Rick Nash to evolve from this chapter. :)

Happy 4th for my American readers. Hope you're enjoying; my day started early riding in a parade as is our tradition and I nearly forget to update with my middle of the day nap.

Side note: so I guess this is happening prior to the cup win last week? I hadn't really set it in an particular season per say so we'll just go with that.....