Sequel: Here We Go Again
Status: This is my first story, so please be kind :))

Just for a Moment

Chapter 18

“The plan” Jack inquired.

“Yes, you know your plan” Alex repeated.

“That is a secret for now.”

“Why?” Alex whined.

“You will find out soon enough.”
Just then the door to Alex’s room opened. People no other than Alex’s parents entered, along with the doctor.
“Oh Alex, sweetie!” Alex’s mom wailed and embraced her son. His dad alongside her comforting her and patted his son’s shoulder.
Jack just watched as the typical happy family scene unfolded itself in front of him.

The doctor cleared his throat to make everyone aware of his presence. He then announced that Alex could go home today. After all, he’s been stuck in hospital for 3 weeks.

Jack helped Alex pack up all his belongings, readying the boy to exist the hospital.
Alex was struggling with his crutch; his eyebrows scrunched together in concentration and one hand firmly fisted to control his frustration. The sight made Jack’s heart wrench with sorrow and all the same made him want to grab and kiss the older boy. And that’s what he did.
He lightly brushed his lips with Alex’s, nudging his nose with the boy’s after. The sight to any passerby would have enamored them.

“Are you ready to get out of here?” Jack gently asked.
Alex nodded adorably. Giggling slightly, he hooked his crutch-free arm with Jack’s, taking small steps out of the building.

Once they got home, Jack was by his side ready to tend to his every need. The younger boy wouldn't even let Alex get up for trivial things. He could do it all alone if he gave him a chance. Everyone would always say “No, your leg is broken!” or there’s always a “Lemme help you with that.” It honestly made Alex go ballistic. Since a broken leg in his opinion wasn't the end of the world. Alex was strong. As the doctor said his leg would heal if he makes regular use of it. Alex however knew that Jack was just overprotective and was just trying to make up for the past events that got him into this unfortunate position now. But Alex didn't need help. He could help himself.

When Jack helped him out of bed the next day, Alex decided enough was enough.
“Stop! I can do this myself.” Alex hissed.
Before Jack could respond he’s just worried Alex cut him off.
“You don’t need to treat me like a baby, Jack. I’m not a child.”
“But you know you could get yourself hurt Alex! You have only gotten out of hospital just yesterday!” Jack explained soothingly.
“Enough of that. If all you’re gonna do is spit nonsense about worrying for me, you might as well leave.”

Then the waterworks began. His shoulders shook with heated sniffles. Alex chucked his crutch which unfortunately hit his wardrobe, made it impossible for the older boy to now reach it without the younger boy’s help.
Jack reached forward to grab Alex’s crutch for him when Alex demanded him to get out.
“Jack I swear if you don’t leave, we are over.” Alex exclaimed piercingly. His shoulders shook with fury and distress.

Jack at this point was aware that whatever Alex was going through, he couldn't help him through it. The thought alone made Jack want to cry. The boy had his own assorted insecurities that he refused to share with Alex. For one, he worries about not being able to protect Alex, secondly he’s constantly vexed about not being able to understand Alex when he shuts him out like this. When Alex keeps an emotionless face or when he pours out his feelings that he’s so overcome with misery, Jack loses words. Jack loses himself in trying to figure Alex out. The boy was so distraught and struck with despair.

This was the first time they had a tiff like this and this alone made Jack go insane. He loved Alex honestly but sometimes he just made it so hard for Jack. If Alex told him what the problem was Jack would have attentively listened to him. He would have cuddled and whispered sweet nothings in his ears to make Alex feel safe and calm. Alex knows it too. That’s why Jack doesn't understand why Alex would push him away when Jack was the one he needed most, not to sound conceited or anything. But Jack needed Alex too. He was merely recovering and Jack wanted to be there for Alex every step of the way. His seizure could come back anytime and that made Jack’s heart quench with anxiety.

With one swift turn of the heels, Jack decided to head back to the Gaskarth’s household. He yearned for the older boy and leaving the older boy in the state he was in made Jack feel pathetic about himself.

When he knocked on the door, he was greeted by Mrs Gaskarth who briefly informed him that Alex refused to eat his dinner. Jack frowned, walking up the stairs to Alex’s chamber. He knocked stiffly, suddenly unsure of his actions; nervous the older boy would shut him out again.

No response. Jack decided he’s not going back until things between them are okay again. He turned the doorknob and entered the dimly lit room. Alex was laying on his sofa bed, observing the clouds outside. Jack knew Alex was going to be stubborn and continue with this silent treatment. Jack therefore didn't even hesitate to initiate the conversation.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered, and put an arm around Alex’s shoulder, attempting to offer comfort.
Alex jerked away, shook his head, still wordless. He shifted so that now his back was completely blocking Jack from seeing any reaction on his face.
Jack sighed, starting to get slightly agitated. All he did was offer help and comfort to the boy and accepting blame for nothing he did wrong.

“Please forgive me?” he insisted inaudibly. He gently nudged Alex’s shoulder. Alex finally turned around, so that he was now fully facing Jack.
“I’m sorry too, that I lashed out on you like that. I got fed up with people telling me I need help. I’m capable of doing things on my own Jack. I just wanted them to understand. It’s not your fault.” Alex mumbled.

Jack’s frown contorted into a smile. He should have realized that Alex was going to react like this. But of course the older boy was the type to want to be completely independent. He finally gave in, letting out a breath that he didn't know he held in. He opened his arms, embracing Alex. Finally feeling whole again. Alex hugged him back with equal passion, unable to hold in little string of giggles.

“So wanna watch a movie?” Alex inquired.

“Can it be Home Alone?” Jack’s eyes lit up like a little kid on Christmas. Alex quirked an eyebrow with amusement. Just to tease the younger boy, he replied with a “we will see” before sauntering off in his crutch.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry for the long wait. my laptop crashed. :<
and i was at summer camp!
Thanks for reading <3
please comment so i know how we are doing :3