Status: Active

Stay Here By My Side

Chaper 3

"I don't know what took you so long shopping, Spence. I'm not that hard to buy for." Emily said as Spencer took her seat across from her in the dining hall.

"Yeah, well it wasn't my fault. I sort of got... held up."

"Held up? Ooh, did you meet a guy?" Spencer rolled her eyes in response and pushed the food around on her plate. "So you did?" Emily concluded from the silence. Spencer sighed and figured she may as well tell her. So she quickly ran though their enecounter, only leaving out what Em's actual gifts were.

"Spenser he so likes you! Obviously he wouldn't have stolen whatver my gift is and bribe you with it to get a coffee if he didn't think you were cute. Do you like him?" She bit her lip while thinking about it. She wasn't exactly sure if she did or not. He was really cute and everything, but what would happen when he found out about her family -or lack of- ? He would probably end up treating her like everyone else does and Spencer can't handle any more pity directed towards her.

"It's so obvious that you like him," Emily said noting her hesitation. "You've been smiling like an idiot since you got back."

"I don't know, maybe I do like him. Not that it matters, because I'm sure I will never see him again, anyway."

"You're impossible, you know that?" Spencer just smiled and shrugged.

- - - - -

Emily's birthday was a few days later, so Spencer gave her her Starbucks gitt card and cd, which she loved.

"These were all definitely worth your trouble!" She said, putting the cd into the small stereo she had.

"Good, you know how much of a hassle it was getting them." Spencer replies dramatically, making Emily laugh.

They talked for awhile longer before Spencer retreated to her small room to work on school work. It was finally Christmas break, and she really just wanted to get everything done before Christmas which was only in a few days. However, after half an hour of studying, she needed a break. So, she threw on her jacket and decided to go for a walk. Walks always helped her clear her head.

Spencer, walked outside into the cold air and zipped her jacket, admiring the beautiful snowflaked falling, coating the streets. She made her way to Main Street, and glanced into a few store windows, admiring the gifts on display.

Across the street, she watched as a mother and daughter made their way into a candy store and Spencer felt a pain in her chest. Christmas is always a tough time for everyone in the orphanage. They always try to make it all festive but it just isn't the same. There's always that one thing missing - a family.