Status: Active

Stay Here By My Side

Chapter 6

"Ryan, where are we going?" Spencer asked, stopping when they got outside of the orphanage.

"I told you, I'm not going to make you spend Christmas alone, okay? We'll hang out at my apartment tonight, and I can make a big dinner, if you want."

Normally, Spencer wouldn't go with anyone, she usually would just shut everyone out, except for Emily, of course, but with Ryan it was different. She did just tell him the story of what happened the night of the accident. And the nice thing was, that he didn't look at her with only pity in his eyes, which she's grown so used to. Plus, a homemade dinner and spending the evening with Ryan sounded a whole lot better than the usual orphanage food that lacked flavor, and the tint of depression in the air.

"Yeah, that sounds nice." She answered, a small smile forming on her lips. He grinned, and opened the passenger door to his car for her, shutting it after she got in. Then, he made his way to the driver's side, started the car and pulled away from the curb, leaving behind the not-so-joyful atmosphere.

They rode in a comfortable silence, each lost in their own thoughts, until the car came to a stop, outside of a tall apartment building. Ryan led her to the elevator across the lobby and pressed the floor 3 button.

"So, what are you planning on making for dinner tonight, chef?" Spencer asked, smiling.

"What do you mean, 'what am I making for dinner?' You're gonna help me make whatever it is. You didn't think I was going to do it all by myself, did you?"

"Oh, so that's how it's going to be," She teased as the elevator doors opened. Ryan just laughed and led her down a hallway to a door that said '307' and unlocked the door, following Spencer inside. His apartment was small, but nice. The Kitchen and Living Room were open, a few Christmas decorations here and there, but no tree, and there was a hallway leading to what Spencer was assuming were bedrooms.

"Do you have a roomate?" She asked, hearing music coming from down the hall.

"Oh, no that's my younger brother, Jamie. He lives here with me because our parent's move around too much and he got sick of switching schools all the time." Spencer nodded, remembering him mention Jamie when they got coffee a few days earlier. She followed him into the Kitchen, where he turned on a pot of coffee and then leaned against the counter, facing Spencer.

"What do you guys usually do at the orphanage on Christmas?"

"Well, obviously today all of the volunteers come, donate gifts and wrap them. Those are all for the kids under 13, and then Christmas Day, we just hand them out to them. Nothing special, really."

"That doesn't sound very fun." Ryan stated with a frown.

"I'm used it it," She replied with a shrug.

"I think," He said, taking a step closer to her. "That tomorrow you should come over here again, and celebrate a real Christmas."

"Are you sure? Don't you want to spend some time with your brother?"

"He won't mind, trust me. We didn't have anything planned, anyway. So, what do you say? We can watch Christmas movies, and make some cookies, if you want."

"That sounds great." She replied smiling. Spencer felt a rush of excitement run through her. The last time she had a real Christmas was when her parent's were alive, since then the holiday season was always awful.

"Can we get a Christmas tree, too?!" Spencer asked, excited.

"Of course, in fact we can go get one right now, if you want."

"Yes!"

Ryan laughed at her enthusiasm and grabbed his coat and keys. He could tell this was going to be one of his best Christmases yet, and the day was just beginning.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aww I actually really like this chapter! Comment please?!