Twins: One a Vampire, One a Human

Ch.1: Laws of the Vampire

Alice's POV:
I was laying upside down on the couch, while the stereo played and held my book in my hands to read. It was storming outside so I couldn't leave. Unlike my brother Jack, was outside in the forest with his friends. They love this weather. The thunder rattles the house a bit, I sigh and sit up feeling my head go back to normal. I was like that for 20 minutes. I get off the couch and go into the kitchen, which is when Jack came in just in time to steal my food. His wet shirt was hung over his shoulder, and his skinny jeans were soaked, as was the rest of him.

I roll my eyes and point to the closet by the sliding door that was filled with towels and dry clothes for this very reason. He laughs and grabs a towel to wipe his face off. "You should really come with us one day Alice." "So I can get myself killed? No thank you." He grabs the peanut butter and bread from me and sits on the counter. "Really, I'm serious. We'll keep you safe." "I was being serious to." Me and Jack are twins, and 18 now, I'm a minute older then him, but he thinks he's the oldest because he got his license first. And he never lets me forget it!!!

He spreads some peanut butter on a slice of bread and takes a bite. "Can you get off the counter and change?" "Don't feel like it, we're gonna go back out anyways." I sigh and hear the sliding door open, look up and see Heith and Ian walk in soaking wet just like Jack. Heith had his shirt off to just like Jack and walks over to me. He wraps his arms around me and I try to get out of his grasp but he was already getting me soaked. He laughs and pull me closer to him. "Hey baby," he whispers softly in my ear. I push him away with my elbow on his chest and look up at Jack who just shrugged. Can't believe I ever dated him!!

I grab a coke and sit back down on the couch. Ian grabs my coke, opens it and gulps it down. "Any of your friends coming over?" "You know they can't in weather like this Ian." "To bad, looks like your hanging with us." He grins and sits on my lap. You might think that I'm happy about having 2 hot guys over everyday, but their a pain in my ass.

"Get off me Ian!!" I push him and he hits the floor and laughs. "As if I'll hangout with you three." I step over Ian, he tried to grab my ankle but I kicked his hand before he could. "Locking myself in my room, your asses will be beaten if you try to go in my room." I run up the stairs and into my room.

I look around my room, normal, same with Jack's, but his holds a secret. I sit on my bed with my legs crossed and stare at the picture of me and Jack on our 5th birthday. Cake was smeared on our faces and we smiled goofy at the camera. Not knowing what will happen in the next year. I lay down and pull the covers over my head, drifting to sleep.
___________________________________________________________________________________
I run after Jack, the forest floor causing my white shoes to get wet and muddy, while the edge of my dress was being torn and turning brown. Mommy would not be happy with Jack for bringing me out here.

"Come back here Jack!!," I laugh and tried to keep my pace even with his but he was faster then me. I realized that Jack was no longer around, I look around and there was no sign of Jack. "Jack!?" The only sound was the wind blowing the trees and leaves. The wind blows my pigtails into my face and I push them back. "Jack where are you!?" I keep walking, looking all around me. "BOO!!" I scream and fall on my butt. I look up and see Jack on the highest branch and laughing. He climbs back down and holds out a hand for me to grab. I grab his hand and he pulls me up with a smile while I glared at him.

"Oh come on Alice! It was just a prank!" I fix my dress, more dirty then before. "Alice, I have to show you something." "What is it Jack?" He opens his mouth, smiling, and 2 small fangs come out of his top gums. I gasp and a step away from him. Vampires aren't real, they only exist in stories and drink blood from kids while their sleeping.

"Alice?" I look up at him and his face was full of concern, and the fangs were gone. "I'm a vampire Alice, so is dad, he told me last night! Thats the family secret Alice, we're vampires! And next year you'll be just like me!" We hear our mom call for us, Jack grabs my hand and we run back home. When he reach the edge of the forest, Jack runs up to daddy who picks up Jack and hugs him. The three of them go inside together, not realizing that I was still outside.
___________________________________________________________________________________
I wake up and roll onto my side facing the door. I never turned into a vampire. The family secret and tradition, oh how I hate it.

A vampire and human get married, but they both have to come from a family who's parents are a human and a vampire. My mom is human but her older sister is a vampire, while dad and his younger brother are both vampires. We both have the human and vampire trait, but at age 6 for boys, and age 7 for girls, one trait becomes dominate, which I think is obvious which one became dominate for us. We were both born human, which is why dad and Jack can go out in the sun. With marriage, the human or vampire is chosen at a young age, so me and Jack could already be engaged and not know it. I swear if its one of Jack's friends, I'm going to shoot myself. While with the higher class is different. They have something called a "cerimone" yes a cerimone not a ceremony. Where the vampire or human can choose who they will marry. I like our option better.

I have learned there are two ways of becoming a vampire.
1) the vampire sibling can change the human sibling
2) the vampire that the human marries can change them, or keep them human and make their mark.

Which to me sounds like a dog marking their territory.

There is another class of vampires, that dark ones, they are "vampiras" as they call themselves because every person in their family are vampires, no humans. And they have their own way changing a human into a vampire that I hear is not in the vampire law. The reason the higher and regular class marries humans, because the first colony of vampires had a human baby girl. Which is why they see it important for vampires and humans to marry, to keep the two relationships good and no wars.

I didn't get to choose my life, I was born into it. Jack asked me a couple years ago if I wanted him to change me, which I refused. Mom and dad didn't see anything wrong with it. I don't want this life anymore, Jack doesn't understand what its like living with a sibling who's a vampire.