Status: First story on here, hope it's okay! Find me on the ATL fanfic website- w4lkingtr4vesty :)

Falling Stars & Stitched Up Hearts

Digits

JESS' POV

I sat in homeroom, my mind like a reel playing last nights events. I glanced up from my desk to notice everyone conversing, their eyes lighting up at certain comments. I shrunk into my seat, feeling a wave of loneliness hit me.

It was only my second day at Dulaney High and already I was feeling the permanent isolation, my place on the pecking order was set in stone. The classes merged into one another and I could barely differentiate what happened in each one, the lessons were a blur of letters and numbers. In all honesty, I'm sure I remember algebra being taught in history.

Trying to separate my whirlwind of memories, I exited the school and made my way to the shady spot under the tree where I had my lunch yesterday. I turned the corner in the wall to see a figure in my spot. It was that boy.

'Uh, hi,' I said, interrupting the deep stare he was giving the tree trunk. I slid down the wall, meter or so away from him, and set my bag to one side as I began to search for my lunch. Feeling his eyes on me, I kept mine planted on my sandwich as I unwrapped it.

'What are you doing?' he asked.

'Eating lunch, why, what are you doing?'

'Eating lunch,' he replied, a hint of confusion in his voice.

'You still haven't told me you're name...' I said softly.

'Why does it matter?'

'How can I get your attention in the corridor, or ask you for help, or give a friendly hello if I don't know what name to call out?'

'Uh, Jack, it's Jack. You?'

'Jess,' I smiled, feeling like I had finally made a friend.

I took out my KitKat and placed it on the grass as I rummaged about for my water. I looked up to notice Jack's eyes fixed on the chocolate bar.

'Have it if you want,' I giggled. Why was I giggling? There was nothing funny about that.

'Seriously?' he exclaimed, he looked straight at me and we made eye contact for the second time ever. I got lost in his beautiful stare for a few seconds before snapping out of it and replying to the excited boy that awaited my answer: 'Sure.'

'Aw thanks! You're awesome,' he grinned, taking the snack.

Once all the food was eaten, and all the summer sun was soaked up, I turned to Jack and noticed how peaceful he looked. He was leaning back and, unlike in class, he had a little smile creeping across his face.

JACK'S POV

I leaned back against the wall and allowed a smile on my face as I came to terms with everything. I, Jack Bassam Barakat, had a friend. She was friendly, kind, caring and very pretty. Her brown wavy hair fell down on to her shoulders in such a beautiful manor, she spoke softly and here blue eyes were gentle and inviting.

Being the first person to ever try and genuinely become my friend, I figured that pushing through my anxiety and interacting with Jess would be a good idea. She seemed sweet and I really could have done with letting someone in, my heart like an empty box.I feared getting close to someone, because it always seemed to end in pain. I also feared lack of change, it meant that you grew accustom to certain things - like my spot under the tree (which I'm now terrified of loosing) - and then you hurt when it leaves or is altered somehow.

'You, uh, got a phone?' I said quietly, half hoping she wouldn't hear.

'Yeah, switch numbers?' she said, quickly getting hers out and plopping it down on my lap. I stared at it for a few seconds, unable to believe it was all happening, then took her phone and keyed in my number. I sent a text to my phone and then handed her it back.

'Thanks! Well, um, I better go. Class is about to start and I don't wanna turn up late anymore, can't afford to...' I trailed off, feeling slightly awkward in her silence.

'Okay. See you around, Jack.' Suddenly, I felt Jess' little arms around me. She squeezed tight before releasing and looking at me, giving the go ahead to leave with her dazzling eyes. I smiled downwards, trying to refrain from blushing: 'Uh, bye.' Standing up to walk away, I took one last look at Jess and she politely waved as I began to walk off.
♠ ♠ ♠
thoughts? leave 'em in the comments!<3