Status: I originally posted this on Wattpad and decided to share it on here!

Breakout

Chapter 25

Chapter 25.

"Hello?" My mom asked through the phone.

"Yeah, Mom. It's me, Marie," I said, a few tears spilling from my eyes.

"Marie! Where have you've been? Don't you realize what time it is? Almost four am!"

I wiped my eyes with my hand. "Yeah, I know. But I have something to tell you."

"What is it?"

I looked down at the cell floors. Gray and uncleaned.

"I'm um, in jail," I said.

"WHAT?!" My mom barked. Then suddenly, my mom started shouting at me through the phone. I pulled the phone away from my ear as she continued to scream. I looked across the room to find all of us in one jail cell. Rian was holding Kara as she cried into his chest. Jack sat at the unmade bed with his face in his hands. Vinny, Colussy, Flyzik, Zack and Danny all looked miserable. My eyes traveled toward Alex. He was staring at me with his hands gripping the cell door. His eyes were bloodshot and red. I looked away and pulled the phone back to my ear. My mom was still screaming.

"Mom! Will you please calm down!" I hissed. She did and stayed quiet. "There's something else I need to tell you."

"Great, there's more?"

I ignored her and sighed. I rubbed my forehead with my hand as I felt sweat dripping across it.

"I'm in jail in Vegas."

"VEGAS? Young lady, are you serious right now?! How on Earth did you end up in Vegas? No, don't tell me. Was it Alex? Your boyfriend? Oh my gosh, if it is, you're in deep trouble, missy. You hear me?"

"Yes, Mom but can you just come and get me?"

Mom stayed silent for a while. "I'm on my way. I'll catch the next flight to Vegas."

"I'm sorry, Mom," I said.

"I know. I'm coming."

"Okay, bye."

I hung up the phone and the guard gripped my shoulder and walked me back to the cell. He closed the door fiercly behind me. Everyone continued to stay silent.

"Is your mom coming to pick you up?" Alex whispered. I sat down next to Vinny on the floor.

"Yeah," I answered. I honestly didn't feel like talking at all. There was nothing to say. Jasey finally got what she wanted this whole time. Alex. It hadn't really sunk into me until the car ride over here. I finally realized that the whole pregnancy rumor was all her. She somehow found out we were going to Vegas and practically followed us. I didn't tell anyone that I knew Jasey did it. I feel like it shouldn't be spoken about.

"I feel like this is all my fault. I'm the one who brought up the opportunity to go to Vegas," Jack spoke. He face was still in his hands. "This is all my fucking fault."

No one spoke for a while. Until someone in the building started shouting. I guess someone's parent is here.

"Kara! Where are you?" The person asked. Kara suddenly let go of Rian and walked up to the bars.

"Mom, I'm over here!" Kara called out. Kara's mother came into view.

"Oh honey! I'm so glad you're okay," she said. "I want my daughter out of this jail cell now."

The guard got out his keys and opened up the cell. Kara's mother instantly wrapped her arms around her daughter, hugging her tight.

"Before you can go, Miss. You have to sign some papers and pay for your daughter's bail," Officer Brady said. Kara's mother did what she was told. After a while she handed Brady the papers and cash. Kara and her mother walked out of the police station as fast as their legs could take them.

A few hours flew by and I was feeling hungry. I don't remember eating anything since yesterday night. All there was left was Alex, Jack, Flyzik and Danny. Vinny, Rian and Zack's parents all showed up already. Tears were still in my eyes and my heart was beating fast. I was so scared to face my mother. As if on cue, my mother burst through the room.

"Where's my daughter?!" She yelled. "Where is she?"

"Relax, Miss. She's right over here," Officer Brady pointed over to my cell. My mother's eyes traveled over to my cell. She locked eyes with me and stormed over.

"Take my daughter out of this jail cell right now."

Officer Brady unlocked the door and my mom flung her arms around me.

"Oh my gosh, I was so scared. Don't ever do this again, okay?" Mom said. She released her grip on me and turned to the policemen. "How did they end up in jail?"

"We found marijuana in their van they traveled in," Brady said. My mother's eyes got big.

"MARIJUANA! Marie, do you realize that stuff is illegal! You could go to court for that matter!"

"Mom, we weren't smoking any. Someone just put the substance in our van," I said. Mom didn't believe me for one second. She stormed over to the jail cell where Alex was standing.

"I don't want you near my daughter ever again okay? You and your group of friends are a bad influence on her. You all smoke, get high and get drunk. Stay away from her. And Marie, you are grounded for the upcoming summer. You are not allowed to talk to Alex, text him or have any communication, alright. You are never speaking to him ever again."

Alex and I were both silent. Our eyes flickered back and forth to each other and my mom. My mom signed some papers and payed for my bail. I didn't say a word as my mom dragged me across the room and to the exit.

The next day at school was a blur. My mom stood by my side at all times whenever I came home. I'm guessing to make sure not to talk to Alex. I actually haven't spoken to him in two days. I haven't seen him in school today either. I only saw Jack today who avoided me the whole time. Rian and Kara didn't even talk to me. Zack didn't talk to me either. Samantha, who was oblivious to what happened in Vegas, was the only person that talked to me. I instantly felt alone. That I had no one to hold onto anymore. My world was coming to an end. I didn't feel loved. I felt like everyone hates me now. I feel like I caused everything that happened in Vegas.

If I hadn't gotten to know Alex in the first place, Jasey and him would've been dating. Even though that makes my heart break, I couldn't help but think it's true. If Alex and I weren't partnered up for our stupid science thing, we wouldn't have gotten in this mess. If I hadn't been so demanding, Alex wouldn't have told me about his brother. If I hadn't been so desperate, I wouldn't have begged Jack, Rian and Zack about Alex. Since I've been dating Alex, Jasey has always found a way to humiliate me.

First making out with Alex when the band was on their spring break tour. Second, the baby rumor. And third, planting marijuana in our van. I'm probably forgetting loads more but she always was and probably still is out to get me. Just because Alex started dating me. Maybe dating Alex was a bad idea. Why did I date him in the first place? To get myself in trouble? To know what happened in his past? To help him? I really don't know at this point.

The next day in school was a handful. Since it's almost the end of the school year, I've been having all these chess competitions. I've been losing my chess competitions. I took off my glasses and rubbed my eyes. I've decided to go back to my old look. The frizzy haired, glasses, nerd, freak. My hair wasn't curly. I didn't wear contacts. I was basically the same person I was before I interfered with Alex. My eyes widened as Trevor knocked my chess piece off the board.

"You lose, again," he grinned. I stared at the board in front of me. Again?

"Marie, you okay?" Samantha asked behind me. I gulped and ran a hand through my hair.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said. I instantly stood up, threw on my backpack behind my chair and walked out the door.

"Marie! Wait up!" Samantha yelled behind me. I ignored her and continued walking. "Marie! Watch out!"

Before I could understand what she was saying, I suddenly slammed into someone. We both fell and landed on the floor. Me on top of the person. It was Alex. I didn't say anything as I stood up.

"Sorry," he said, brushing myself off and getting up off the floor himself.

"It's okay," I managed to squeak out. Alex looked over to me, his eyes moving up and down.

"You look different," he said. Samantha finally caught up to me.

"Yeah."

Samantha noticed the tension that began to rise between Alex and I. "Is there something wrong?"

"No," I quickly answered.

"Did you two break up?"

The question took me by surprise. I don't know, did we? Before Alex could answer I said, "Yeah we did."

Samantha's eyes traveled to the floor. "Oh."

"Yeah, well. I gotta go now," I said. I walked past Alex, leaving him and Samantha alone in the hallway.

When I walked into Science, I sat in my old seat rather then next to Alex. Samantha noticed this and walked over to me.

"So the guys told me what happened in Vegas," she said. "I'm sorry you had to go through all that."

"Yeah, well I'm sorry for interfering myself with Alex. My mom was right. He is a bad influence," I said, not looking at Samantha, but straight ahead.

"Marie..."

But before she could finish her sentence, Mrs. Overstein walked into the classroom. "Okay, take your seats everyone."

Samantha sighed and went back to her normal seat.

"So, it's almost the end of the school year and today is the last day to talk to your partners!"

I internally groaned. I seriously didn't want to do this. Everyone got with their partners but I walked up to Mrs. Overstein's desk in the front of the classroom.

"I'm feeling a little sick, can I go to the nurse?" I asked holding my stomach.

"Now, Mrs. Chambers. Are you going to the nurse to avoid being with Mr. Gaskarth?"

I really wanted to say yes but I answered, "No. Honest, I don't feel good."

"Well you do look a little pale. Go to the nurse."

Just as I was about to walk out the classroom, she called out, "Jack dear. Can you escort Ms. Chambers to the nurse's office."

"No, that's fine! I can go on my own," I said, before Jack could answer.

"You sure?"

"Yeah, I'm fine."

I walked out of the classroom and down the hallway. I swear I could hear my heart breaking into a million pieces.