Status: completed

Family Matters

Chapter 12

I knew I was doing too much but I was stubborn. I thought I could handle it. I should’ve known better than to take on a full course load and a whole NHL team. Granted it was my Uncle’s team but I took it upon myself to look after them. Well with Mikey’s help. However I was not surprised when I got the call from Dustin. I knew for a fact Mikey had told Jeff and Jeff had told Dusty. That was just how it worked. Let’s just say I got an earful from Dustin.

After that debacle I decided to go to the club where I knew the guys went. It was easy to get into with my name, and me meeting up with Jeff. After two shots and a few beers later, I was drunk. Unbeknownst to me, I drunk called Brody.

“Let’s go Jeffy..I want to go to your apartment.” I whined and moaned his name. I guess Brody hung up and called me back. I stumbled outside of the club and answered.

“Hey big brother” I was slurring my words.

“Where are you?!” I rolled my eyes.

“At a club with Jeff.” I yelled.

“Don’t fucking do anything stupid! You love Kris! Remember that before you sleep with Jeff!” I was beyond pissed and so far gone by that point.

“Fuck you Brody. Who the hell are you to tell me what to do?” I yelled and hung up. I went back inside and found Jeff.

“There you are baby.” I grabbed his arm. While I was gone, he found some blonde puck slut.

“Come on Jeffy, let’s go home” I kissed him. Let’s just say all the way to his apartment we made out.

We went to his bedroom, and the words my brother said to me were running through my head.

“Fuck” I said under my breath.

“Jeff I can’t..we can’t.” I got up and ran out, calling my uncle. I knew I’d get a good yelling in the morning.

Let’s say Uncle Darryl was less than thrilled to pick me up at one in the morning at Jeff’s apartment. I know he wouldn’t look at me, because he would blow a gasket. I tried to talk but I fell asleep in the front seat. I had no recollection of what happened or how I got to my own room.

I went down for breakfast and Uncle Darryl was there. I grabbed water, pills and cereal.

“Do you want to tell me what you were thinking?” He asked, in his usual soft tone. ‘good he isn’t mad…yet’ I thought to myself.

“That I couldn’t do it anymore. I needed to let loose, and I overdid it. I thought…shit I’ll be right back.” I excused myself and went up to my room to call my brother.

“Brody, I..I’m sorry for last night. I wasn’t thinking and I was messed up after my blackout and I handled it wrong. I’m sorry I yelled at you, you were only trying to help me. I love you big brother” I left a voicemail, figuring he was in training camp.

I went back downstairs and talked to my uncle. “Look you can’t be that stupid again, not only are you a Sutter but you could hurt Kris’ reputation as well.” I nodded, understanding that I was dumb and needed to change again. I couldn’t believe that I had let myself get to that point again.

“What the fuck?!” I yelled at the TV.

I was watching the Penguins preseason game, like I had been and they just weren’t with it. Fleury was on point, but everyone else were making mistakes. Geno and James had some good shots but there was something up with Kris. I have seen him play, and that wasn’t him.

“What’s going on babe?” I asked him, when he called me after the game.

“I don’t know, I mean I miss you but that has never affected my game.” Kris was all over the place and he kept making simple mistakes, like turnovers and just wasn’t playing well.

“Go out with the boys. Let loose, have fun. Hell go get yourself a puck slut for all I care, if that’s what it takes to help you. I know I can’t be there right now, but I will be soon.”

Kris fought me on it, but I assured him that if he got himself a puck slut that it was alright and I wouldn’t get mad just this once, since it was my idea. I was planning on surprising Kris at the first game of the season, which happened to be the home opener. Yes, the Kings played that day but I had gotten the clear from my Uncle since it wasn’t a home game. I only hoped that there wasn’t a Checkers game that day.
♠ ♠ ♠
I thought I had posted this chapter but I didn't, so here it is.