Status: completed

Family Matters

Chapter 13

Turns out, the Checkers first season game was October 4th, so I was in luck and the home opener for them wasn’t until the 19th. I was so happy because I could go surprise Kris. The Charlotte Checkers had two exhibition games. I had gone to one of them, in surprise of my brother. They played well, but not like the team I know they are, Of course they are without Brett (my cousin), Zac Dalpe, Jeremy Welsh, Riley Nash, Brett Bellemore, Chris Terry and Ryan Murphy. That’s half our team from last season, or well thereabouts. Brody had a great game, winning most of the faceoffs and getting the puck out of the zone. Although I would’ve liked a win, it just wasn’t the same without my cousin, Dalps, and Bellemore. Yes, I loved that my cousin was getting a chance at the NHL, after all, Brandon was up in the NHL and doing amazing. I just wish Brody was up in the big leagues with them too. I know he will get his chance in time, but right now it just sucks.

After the game, I got a call from Kris. He was devastated. He had worked so hard this summer, to be back and ready for the first game of the season, and here he was before the season even started, he was placed on IR. I decided regardless of if Kris was playing or not, I’d go to the home opener. At the very least, I’d go sit with him in the box. I knew I’d already had permission to go, so I hopped on the plane, and headed to Pittsburgh. I had gotten James to pick me up at the airport, because I was wanting to surprise Kris at the game tomorrow.

“So umm.. Kris isn’t here..” James said slowly, it was like he didn’t want to be the one to tell me, but had to.

“Where is…” James looked at me, and I knew the answer. He was in Minnesota. I figured since I was in Pittsburgh, that I might as well stay for the game. I did miss all of my Penguins buddies.

“So, are we going to Diesel or Mario’s tonight?” As long as I was there, I might as well go have some fun. Plus I knew that James and Geno would look out for me.

*Kris’ POV*

I had gone to Minnesota, knowing the Kings were playing there. I figured since I couldn’t play in the home opener, I’d surprise my girl. Well, I got a surprise alright when I got there. I went to the Xcel Energy Center, where I thought I’d be meeting her.

“Hey Kris, what are you doing here?” Mr. Sutter asked me.

“I came to surprise Brianne.” His face fell and I didn’t know what that meant.

“Kris, she went to surprise you at Consol..” I didn’t know how to react to that or what I should do. I told him good luck and we parted ways. Next thing I know, Jeff Carter came out of the locker room.

“Hey man, no hard feelings?” I looked at him confused.

“About??” I had no idea what he was talking about, since we hadn’t played them yet, hell the season hadn’t even started for us.

“Sleeping with your Brianne.” I was fuming.

“What the fuck did you just say?!” I held him against the wall.

“Your girlfriend and I slept together. And she is great in bed!” I punched him in the face.

The next few minutes were a blur, as I only remember punching him and not sure how I ended up on my way back to Pittsburgh. All I knew is I was pissed and I needed to confront Bria about this.

*Back to Brianne’s POV*

Despite the fact that Kris wasn’t there, or playing, the Penguins won. Marc-Andre Fleury had his 250th career shutout. I couldn’t have been more prouder of the Penguins. Little did I know, Kris had come home and was avoiding me. Even Brandon noticed. Actually he was the one who told me Kris was home. After the game, Brandon took me to Kris’. He looked angry. I banged angrily on his door.

“What the hell? I fucking come here to surprise you and you ignore me when you are home!” I yelled at him.

“I know why you told me to get myself a puck slut!” Honestly I had no idea what he was talking about.

“Kris, will you elaborate?”

“I am talking about you fucking another player!” I looked at him like he was nuts.

“What are you…. Carts!” I seethed.

“I’m going to KILL Carter!” I looked him dead in the eye.

“Kristopher, listen to me. Jeff Carter and I NEVER had sex! I was very drunk, but believe me I stopped it before it even started!”

“How can I be sure?! You told me to go out and get a fucking puck slut for Godsakes!”

“Yeah I did. I will try anything and be okay with whatever helps your game! I know how you get when your game’s off and how important it is for you to get back!”

“That is bullshit! You were going to sleep with him!” I got out and yelled “I’m DONE!” before I walked out, calling Brandon.

“Kris and I broke up and no, I’m not talking about it.” I said as I got into my cousin’s car.

“Do I have to kick his ass?” I shook my head.

“No, it was my fault, and I’m killing Jeff Carter as soon as I get back to Los Angeles!” We got back, and I went to bed. I really wasn’t up to talking.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t go see Brody play. The Checkers had a roadtrip to Oklahoma City. In game 2, Brody scored with five minutes left in the period. His goal helped them win. I was beyond proud of him. I called him to congratulate him, and to tell him I’d be there for his home opener. I missed my brother, and even though I wouldn’t admit it, I needed him more than I knew. Brody was the best big brother any girl could ask for, and I didn’t realize it until now. Hell he didn’t know about Kris and I, and I didn’t know how I could tell him, although I’m sure Brandon will tell him before I get to anyways. Those two were always close, actually all of us were. Brody, Brett, Brandon, Lukas and I were all the closest. Shaun was a bit older than us. It was Shaun, Brett, Brandon, Brody, Lukas and me. Honestly growing up those five knuckleheads was like having five older brothers, and that was enough for me. I loved them all, but sometimes it was annoying. I knew things would blow up when everyone heard about Kris and I, and I also knew I couldn’t tell them what I told Kris to do. I’d get shit for it, not to mention it’d get back to my dad. I didn’t need lectures from all five cousins and my dad too. I knew Kris and I needed time to think, and honestly I was not planning on breaking up with him. I packed my things and headed back to L.A., of course L.A. were going to be in Raleigh on Saturday. So, I changed my plans to go to L.A. and headed down to see Brody and Brett.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry this was short. I figured I'd made you wait long enough. It's better than nothing. I want feedback.