Status: The prologue will be all that's posted on this for the time being. Once some of the other stories I am working on are completed, this story will continue.

Light Falls Away

Prologue

John

When all you have ever known was the land, moving to the city life was a rather dramatic change. It's far more noisy, far more clouded with gas fumes, and more crowded. I looked around this new place with a look of awe and fear. It was both beautiful and scary, not anything like Irving, TX.

Adjusting the single bag I had in between my shoulder blades, I made my way through the crowds of L.A., getting looks of disgust or getting pointed then laughed at. I know I didn't look too good or smell too great, seeing how as I hitchhiked all the way from home. Seeing someone who didn't look too rude, I walked over to her and asked, "Excuse me, Miss?" She looked up, removing her sunglasses and giving me a look of curiosity. "Are there any apartment buildings nearby?"

"Go down to the corner there," she said, pointing to the nearest traffic light. "Make a left and continue down the road for about half a mile. Big building, can't miss it." She gave me a soft smile, which I returned. Thanking her, I made my way through the crowd once again, ignoring the stares and whispers that seemed to follow my every footstep.

As I walked, I noticed a woman having an issue with her bags and trying to get the door to her home open. Jogging over to her, I said, "Would you like some help, Miss?" She looked at me, shot me a look of distaste, then sighed.

"Actually, that would be wonderful," she said, handing me an armful of her bags. Finally being able to unlock her door, she opened it. I held it as she went in, and I followed her. "You have no idea how helpful you are being. I try not to buy so much when I'm out, but when something looks cute, I just can't pass it up." I smiled as I set her bags down near the others. "Here," she said, holding out what appeared to be a few hundred dollars.

"I can't take that," I said kindly. "My dad always told me to try and help where it was needed, and do it out of the kindness of your heart instead of for money."

"You're dad sounds like a smart man," she said, looking down in sadness. "Normally people would grab it and run."

"I'm not like normal people," I said, nodding once before turning and heading for the door.

"If you're heading for the apartments, you might want to take a shower," she called out, causing me to stop and look at her. "They're rather picky about letting people come in not smelling too great."

"You offering to allow me to use your shower?" I asked, causing her to smile.

"It's the least I can do," she replied, motioning for me to follow her. Doing so, I decided to look around the place. She was apparently loaded with money, everything in the house seeming to be worth a few thousand dollars, if not more. When we got to the bathroom, she opened the door for me and let me pass. "I'm Kiera, by the way."

Smiling, I replied, "Nice to meet you, Kiera. I'm John."

Paul

Grabbing my small bags, I looked around the large train station. Sighing softly, I watched as people rushed past me, lost in their own lives and making it day by day. Hearing my train being called, I turned and climbed up, looking for my seat.

Once I found it, I squeezed past the women who was already there and apparently sound asleep. Shaking my head, I fell into my seat and shoved in my headphones, turning on my music player and staring out the window.

I was nervous to be leaving my home state. I was going to miss the craziness that was N.Y., but I had nothing going for me here. California was my only option for something bigger and better. I had heard about a awesome acting theater in Cali that I couldn't pass up. I didn't have any friends here, so I wasn't leaving behind much during this except my family and siblings. I didn't feel sorrow for leaving them, though. At least, not too much.

My parents weren't thrilled that I was leaving all the way to California, but they allowed me to leave anyways, knowing they couldn't stop me. Feeling the jerk of the train, I settled down in the seat and relaxed as the train began to move and leave the station, heading towards a new start for me.

I stared out the window for the next three hours, watching every bit of N.Y. pass by me instantly and I finally knew there was no turning back. I was here and I was here for good. There was no stopping this train and running back home. Taking a deep breath I leaned my head back and watched my old life fade out of site. Closing my eyes, I let sleep carry me to a dreamless world, where all the shadows seemed darker.

Time Elapse

When I awoke, the train was just pulling into the station in California. Grabbing my things, I walked off the train and onto the platform, watching the life of this new place bust about. Walking up into the streets, I looked around only to see that I was in L.A. Adjusting everything to get a bit more comfortable, I made my way for the nearest apartment complex.

I knew all the buildings within a ten-mile radius of L.A., so finding an apartment complex wasn't too hard. Walking in, I made my way over to the counter, standing behind a guy who smelled so good. I inhaled deeply, and smiled. I was about to say hi when he thanked the woman behind the counter and headed for the elevator. I tried to get a look at him, but somehow he managed to keep his face from view, even when he got in the elevator.

"Can I help you?" the woman asked, causing me to snap my attention back to her. I smiled and apologized before stating my business.

"I would like a 1-bedroom, please," I said, pulling out my I.D. to show her I was of legal age. She got things going, and once the paperwork was finished, and first month's rent was paid, I grabbed my things and went to the elevator.

My mind never left the stranger who had gone before me. Something seemed to draw me to him. Setting him in the back of my mind, I leaned against the wall of the elevator as it took me to the fifth floor. Closing my eyes, I felt the soreness in my muscles from the long train ride. At the moment, all I could think of was a long, hot shower, and a cup of tea.
♠ ♠ ♠
John's POV was written by me (Rainbow Sock Monkey)

Paul's POV was written by Raven's Commander