Status: updates when I find time

Tombstone Tourist

Chapter 2

I guess that maybe I should add the fact that my father is deceased, too. I forget to mention that because we never really got along. I regret that a lot now. I look back and think "Maybe I should have tried harder to be closer to him. I should have given him more of a chance." He never reached out to me, though. He never gave a shit. When I think about him, I first feel regret and sadness, but then I remember how he treated me as a kid and I just feel bitterness.

My mom was my hero and I thought she was the greatest person to ever exist. She was definitely the greatest person I ever met. I resented my dad. I was an orphan for quite a while because he just couldn't accept that he had a kid. He wanted to stay young forever and I prevented him from feeling that way.

It's over now, though. That's just the past and there's not anything I can do anymore. So, yeah. I had my share of family issues. Everyone does though, right? That's normal now. How sad.

Thinking about it though, most people don't cope by spending their days at the burial site of their mother, talking to her or coming up with weird stories for the other people laid to rest there, do they? I swear, I'm losing my mind.

Walking home from the cemetery, I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. Reaching for it quickly, I checked the caller ID. Ugh. Not who I wanted to talk to right now. It was my half brother, Matthew. That's right. My dad tried to remarry after my mom passed. Fucking idiot. He could never find anyone even half as good as my mom.

"Hello?"

"Hey, cemetery boy!"

I sighed heavily and rolled my eyes.

"What do you want?"

"I got an offer for you."

"For the thousandth time, I'm not selling weed for you."

"Please Austin, I need the money and I can't do it myself."

"No. You could solve this problem by doing this thing called getting your ass in rehab. You wouldn't be broke all the time then."

"You are no fucking help."

"Right back at you."

"Whatever, cemetery boy."

I just rolled my eyes and hung up on him. Matthew was obnoxious and honestly, I couldn't stand him. He was never going anywhere in his life, that's for sure. The guy was 26, never went to college, and dropped out of his school his junior year. I have nothing against people who drop out, really, but if you drop out to sell cheap drugs, I find that a little sad.

After spending so much time in the cemetery, I see what Matt is doing as waiting your life. We don't have much time on earth and he's really just pissing around. Seeing headstones of war generals, scientists, doctors, people who protested against every cause you could think of, all these great people, it makes me want to make a change. I don't know how I would, but I want to. Starting by spending less time in my beloved cemetery would probably be a good option, but I was hopelessly devoted to it. I'll always be devoted to it because the memories of my mom were all I had left. I am utterly alone the second I leave this plot of earth.
♠ ♠ ♠
idk man