Status: updates when I find time

Tombstone Tourist

Chapter 6

Alan and I had walked to the nearest mall, seeing as I didn't have a car and it wasn't that far away from the cemetery. The walk had been practically silent, but Alan didn't seem to mind and I didn't either. It wasn't awkward silence. As we neared the old mall, I could sense a change in Alan.

“Is something wrong?”

“I just, I keep thinking about running into someone I know. It would be so weird. I would see them and they would see someone else entirely. It's sort of freaky.”

“It'll be okay. We'll just get whatever you need then go. There's less of a chance of that happening if we do.”

He nodded and we walked through the doors into the building.

~

An hour later, Alan had a sufficient amount of clothing and was thanking me profusely for accompanying him. I continuously repeated that it was no problem. I had learned quite a bit about the boy. I knew what music he liked, that he could play guitar, and that I had been correct in thinking that he was 19. He had been majoring in music production while in college and had wanted to open his own record label at some point.

I told him what there was to know about myself. I wasn't interesting at all, I realized as I recounted the things I had experienced in life. Alan didn't seem to mind, though. He had listened as if he actually cared about the things that I was saying. I wasn't used to that at all.

Our shopping trip was now over and I was genuinely enjoying spending time with Alan. That was another thing I wasn't used to. Most people just ignored me or became disinterested in me after about half an hour. I was eager to keep hanging around him for as long as I could.

“Do you have somewhere to stay, Alan?”

“I think I have enough to stay at a hotel for a few nights. After that, I don't know. The weather's nice; I could always find a place in the park or something. It's not like someone could hurt a dead boy,” he laughed dryly a little at the end.

“You're not living in the park, don't be ridiculous. You could stay in the extra room at my apartment, if you want.”

“Oh, no. I couldn't. I don't want to intrude.”

“Hey, it's fine. I'm offering.”

“That's okay, Austin. I'll be just fine.”

“Alan, seriously. The park is not as safe as you seem to assume it is. Trust me.”

“It's okay, really.”

“You're staying at my apartment whether you choose you walk there or I have to carry you.”

“Are you sure?”

“I'm positive.”

“Really?”

“Yes, Alan! You're not going to be homeless as long as I' m around.”

He smiled and nodded, finally accepting. We walked in the direction of my building, bags weighing down our arms and and smiles lifting our faces.
♠ ♠ ♠
i know it's short and boring but i plan on updating again later okay alright.