‹ Prequel: About a Boy
Status: Active

Times Change, Friends Leave and Life Doesn't Wait for Anybody

Chapter Ten

Kellin groaned as he rolled out of bed upon hearing the doorbell ring. It was Saturday, five days after he’d left Connecticut. After he’d left Vic. And Kellin was still crying himself to sleep every night. It took all of his self control not to call Vic, or to just go back to Connecticut and beg for the other boy’s forgiveness.
He slouched downstairs, seeing as the rest of his family had all gone out to do thing for work (both of his parents) or to go and meet up with some random friends from their new high school (Heather). So that left Kellin, tired, slightly depressed, lonely Kellin to answer the door. And when he opened it, he kind of wished he hadn’t.
“Kellin, what are you doing here?” Mike demanded once Kellin opened the door. He tried not to sigh as he let the younger boy in, wary as he stepped angrily into the house.
“I-“
“You left Vic‽” Mike shouted. Kellin flinched and nodded to Mike, who glared lividly at Kellin. “Why?”
“It sounds… We weren’t going anywhere-“ Kellin started, only to be interrupted by Mike once again.
“What the hell is wrong with you? That doesn’t mean you should leave: it means you’re comfortable.” Mike snapped. “Jesus, I mean, you’re both in love with each other and whatever, right? Why is there a problem if nothing’s changing. That’s the problem, right? You don’t think anything’s interesting or whatever. You’re stupid, and I’m probably going to have to kill you for hurting my brother if you don’t book a flight back to Connecticut right now.”
“But we’re always arguing-“
“All couples argue! My parents get pissed at each other like, every other day. It’s never serious; I’d be worried if you didn’t argue from time to time.”
“I- Mike I can’t just… But I suppose…” Kellin trailed off, lost in thought as he contemplated what Mike had just said. He was right. He wasn’t bored, he was comfortable. And, as usual, Kellin was too stupid to realise it until it was too late.
“You suppose what?” Mike snapped at him.
“You’re right. But Vic wouldn’t- I’m always fucking things up and what if he doesn’t want to, you know, give me another chance?” Kellin asked fearfully. He’d always thought that Vic was way too good for him anyway, and that was why he tried so hard to be good enough for him, although he knew he’d never manage it.
“Of course he’ll give you another chance.” Mike snorted. “He’s crazy about you. Just, if you hurt him again, don’t think I won’t find you. And I’ll bring Jaime and Tony with me.” Kellin laughed nervously and nodded.
“Are you going to get on those tickets now?” Mike demanded, still looking furious, and intimidating.
“I… Now?” Kellin frowned, but nodded when Mike fixed him with a sharp glare.
“Yes now. I checked before I came, and there are still some tickets for tomorrow. So get one, pack your bags and get ready to leave.” Mike commanded, following Kellin as he climbed the stairs to his bedroom to get out his laptop.
“I… I’m sorry, Mike.” Kellin said truthfully as he waited for the website to process his purchase.
“Not me you should be apologising to.” Mike shrugged, but managed to smile at Kellin. “Just never hurt him again.”
“I won’t,” Kellin said sincerely, printing off yet another boarding pass for another flight. This time, he was definitely making the right choice though. “How are you, though? And your parents? And Jaime and Tony?” He asked.
“We’re all good, thanks. Everyone misses you guys, mum says neither of you call enough. By the way, I didn’t tell my parents about what happened between you guys. Vic asked me not to.”
“Well, thanks for listening to him. I think they might have been waiting for something like this to happen.”
“It was kind of inevitable. Even so, don’t you think was leaving was a bit extreme?” Mike raised an eyebrow at Kellin, who reluctantly agreed.
“I suppose so… Looking back on it, yes.” Kellin admitted.
“Well, I’m glad you’ve seen the light, or whatever. My work here is done.” Mike announced proudly, patting Kellin carefully on the arm and making his way back downstairs, out of the house and leaving Kellin alone to plan how he was going to get Vic back.
____
Kellin stepped nervously into the building that Vic’s current biology lecture was happening, looking through all of the small windows on the doors until he saw the boy sitting in one of the top rows, a notebook in front of him and Beau to his right. Kellin had gone back to their apartment to leave his suitcase in the bedroom, and had written a note to his family the night before telling him that he was going back early, unable to face speaking to them face to face.
From Kellin: Can you come outside?
He waited nervously for about five minutes, until Vic’s reply came.
From Vic: What are you talking about?
From Kellin: Please just come out.
Kellin peered through the window of the large classroom, watching as Vic muttered something to Beau before sneaking out of the classroom, the professor paying no attention to him as he opened the door.
“K-Kellin?” Vic stammered, closing the door behind him and staring at the boy as though he didn’t believe that he was there.
“Hey.” Kellin said quietly, voice cracking. Looking at Vic made him feel disgusted about himself, knowing that he was the one that had caused Vic to lose sleep, and caused him to cry… “I’m sorry.” Kellin continued.
“You are?”
“Yes. I’m so, so fucking stupid and I shouldn’t have left and you don’t have to… You don’t have to forgive me but I just wanted to let you know-“
“Kellin. Kellin, I forgive you. I’ve already forgiven you so shut up.” Vic said with a wet smile, stepping forward and wrapping his arms tightly around Kellin’s waist. Who promptly broke down into Vic’s neck, sobbing loudly as Vic shushed him and rubbed his back comfortingly.
“I’m so sorry, Vic…” Kellin continued to sob, vision blurred by tears and chest heaving with the effort of sobbing, knowing that he was going to have a terrible headache later but not even caring because he was so relieved and he didn’t think it would hurt that much to be away from Vic for a week; they’d broken up for longer in their senior year anyway.
“Kellin, shush. It’s okay, we’re fine…” Vic continued to comfort him, his own voice thick with emotion. “Wanna go back to the apartment?”
“Don’t you need to get back?” Kellin hiccupped.
“I told Beau to bring me any sheets and the notes later. Come on.” Vic took Kellin’s hand in his own and led the dark haired boy to the car park, where his car was sitting.
♠ ♠ ♠
I fixed it :) I couldn't bear to see them upset for any longer so there it is.