‹ Prequel: About a Boy
Status: Active

Times Change, Friends Leave and Life Doesn't Wait for Anybody

Chapter Two

Kellin strolled into work the next day, the plain black shirt still stiff on his body, and smiled at the Matty, who grinned back and gestured for him to approach.
“Hey, Kellin. So Laila will be looking after you for a bit, so just do as she says and you’ll be fine. The job isn’t exactly hard, so I’m sure you’ll be fine.” Matty clapped him on the back firmly and wandered back to the manager’s office, leaving Kellin with the smiling girl behind the counter. She had coffee coloured skin (which reminded Kellin so much of Vic) as well as an undercut and a row of thick bracelets on both her wrists. Kellin was certain he was going to like her.
“Hey. So… Kellin, right?” She said, offering her hand to Kellin, He reached for it before she pulled it away, laughing when Kellin frowned. “I’m just messing with you. I don’t shake hands; it’s way too formal. I’m a hugger!” She laughed and pulled Kellin closer to her, wrapping her arms around him. Kellin smiled and hugged her back briefly. “So anyway, I’m Laila, kind of head cashier here or whatever. I’ll introduce you to the other guys, all the waiters, and the chefs and stuff. It’s fun here, everyone gets along and stuff. It’s kind of a home from home.”
Kellin nodded and followed her back around the counter, drumming his fingers on the worktop as they waited for their first customers.
“The real rush is around lunch, to be honest.” Laila continued, sitting on the counter so her legs dangled over the edge. Kellin nodded again, amused by the exuberant girl. “How old are you anyway?”
“Oh, I’m eighteen.” Kellin answered.
“Okay. Go to university around here?” She continued.
“No, I’m not going to university. I moved here over summer with my… Boyfriend.” Kellin responded, unsure of how she’d react to him having a boyfriend.
“Aw, that’s cute.” She said simply. “Did you guys meet at school?”
They spent the next ten minutes discussing Kellin’s home life, Laila reacting in all the right ways as Kellin described everything that he and Vic had been through. They continued like that until someone walked in, a young man who looked extremely tired and was even paler than Kellin. With long, bright red hair.
“Hey, Gerard.” Laila greeted the tired looking man with a smile. He waved and slumped against the counter, watching Laila as she waltzed to the kitchen to give an order he hadn’t placed.
“Oh. Hi.” Gerard said quietly, looking at Kellin.
“Hi…” Kellin responded. He watched Gerard, who was staring blankly into space until Laila returned.
“Five seventy, Gee.” She held out her hand, waiting for Gerard to put some crumpled dollar bills and a few coins into her hand. “Oh yeah. This is Kellin, he’s the new guy. Kellin, this is Gerard. He comes here like, every day. He’s pining.” She added in a whisper.
“No I’m not!” Gerard yelled when Laila drifted away from him to put his money into the cash register.
“You’re so in love with Frank it’s literally painful to watch.” Laila countered, still smiling at Gerard though. “And Frank’s an oblivious shit so he doesn’t realise it.” She directed at Kellin.
“I’m not in love with Frank.” Gerard retorted hotly.
“Just tell him,” Laila said softly, leaning forward so her face was directly in front of Gerard’s. “It makes so much more sense than just moping around.”
Gerard sighed and turned away, biting his lip and then walking to one of the booths furthest away from the counter. Laila sighed and shook her head too, straightening up and offering Kellin an apologetic smile.
“He’s usually kind of moody but… I dunno, he’s clearly not gonna be happy until he’s with Frank.” She said in an exasperated tone, waving in the direction of the door as another customer entered the diner.
____
“So… You start tomorrow, right?” Kellin asked Vic, wrapping his arms around the shorter boy from the back and resting his chin on his shoulder.
“Yeah.” Vic replied shortly.
“Nervous?” Kellin continued, enjoying the feeling of Vic’s warmth against his stomach.
“Really nervous.” Vic responded with a sigh.
“Don’t be. It’s more or less like high school, and look at how well you did there.” He comforted. Vic nodded resignedly, pulling out of Kellin’s grasp so he could turn around and kiss him.
“Thanks, Kells,” he smiled stroked Kellin’s cheek gently.
“I love you.” Kellin said simply.
“I love you too.” Kellin would always love to hear Vic say those words, could never tire of the way Vic said it, directed to him.
“So anyway, what’re we eating?” Kellin asked, stomach growling loudly.
“Wanna order pizza?” Vic shrugged and laughed shortly. Neither of them could cook, which was proving to be a bit of a problem, seeing as they couldn’t live off takeaway for the rest of their lives.
“Sure.” Kellin agreed. They could sort everything else out later.
____
The next day, when Kellin got back from work at four, Vic wasn’t there. It was a bit of a shock to the system, if he was honest; he was used to Vic sitting around doing something when he got back. He sat on the sofa, not doing anything for almost half an hour until Vic got back, leaping up as soon as he heard the other boy’s key slip into the door.
“Vic!” Kellin exclaimed, leaping up and pulling Vic into a tight hug.
“Hey, Kellin,” Vic laughed and returned Kellin’s hug, kicking the door closed behind him. “What’s up?”
“I missed you.” Kellin mumbled truthfully into Vic’s neck.
“We’re apart for more or less the same amount of time every day, Kellin.” Vic pointed out.
“I know, but it’s weird when you aren’t here when I get back.” Kellin pouted, letting Vic take him by the hand to the kitchen, where the couple both sat on the table top.
“Well you’re going to have to get used to it.” Vic said.
“I know… How was it, anyway?” Kellin asked suddenly.
“Oh, it was good, thanks. We didn’t do too much, just looked around, talked to everyone and stuff. Nothing interesting.” Vic shrugged.
“Made any friends?”
“You sound like my mum on my first day of high school.” Vic laughed. “But I met some cool people. There’s this really nice girl called Lzzy, and a guy called Beau who was really nice as well…”
“Well I’m glad it went okay. I told you that you’d be fine.” Kellin kissed Vic on the cheek, who giggled adorably and nodded.
“As usual, you’re right, Mr. Bostwick.”
“Thank you, Mr. Fuentes.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter Two! I have given up on revision, so I'm going to focus on getting this up. Trust me, it'll get more interesting :)