‹ Prequel: About a Boy
Status: Active

Times Change, Friends Leave and Life Doesn't Wait for Anybody

Chapter Five

“Hey, Jesse…” Kellin greeted his best friend happily, his phone pressed to his ear as he stood in front of the oven, frowning at the knobs as he tried to work out how to actually use it. He really missed everyone back in San Diego, the rest of his friends, his family, he even found himself wondering how Dr. Stump and Mr. Wentz were doing from time to time. And the reason he was trying to work out how the oven worked was purely because he was going to try and cook. Something.
“Kellin! How’re you doing?” Jesse exclaimed. Kellin chuckled at how loud his friend was, finding himself growing increasingly saddened by the fact that they were going to see each other so few times.
“I’m great, thanks. You?”
“Good, good.” Jesse replied wistfully. “And Vic?”
“Yeah, he’s doing great.” Kellin answered with yet another smile. Thinking about his boyfriend had that effect on him. Kellin stepped out of the kitchen and began to walk around the apartment, still holding his phone to his ear as he spoke to the ginger boy.
“Jenna and I broke up.” Jesse said suddenly.
“You did? Oh… I’m sorry, dude.” Kellin replied sincerely. From what he’d gathered, Jesse didn’t really like Jenna that much, nor did Jenna like him. Why they ever even got together was beyond the darker haired boy.
“Nah, don’t be. She was annoying.” Jesse said, and Kellin could practically hear his shrug.
“Well how’s everyone else? Justin and the guys?”
“They’re doing awesome. Miss you, but don’t we all? When are you coming back, by the way?”
“Probably around Christmas. Mine and Vic’s parents want us back, and it would be weird having Christmas with just the two of us anyway.” Kellin answered.
“Yeah, well we all miss you and all that. Glad you’re having a good time or whatever, call whenever.” Jesse finished, hanging up soon after.
“You done, Kellin?” Kellin heard Vic’s voice call from the kitchen.
“Yeah.” Kellin responded, stepping back out of their bedroom to see Vic peering confusedly at the oven.
“Kellin what is this?” He pulled out the dish of raw lamb in the oven with a raised eyebrow.
“I was… Cooking.” Kellin finished lamely. “I got distracted.” Vic chuckled and tilted across the counter to peck Kellin on the cheek.
“You’re adorable. But we both know you can’t cook. Neither can I for that matter. I think it’s best if we just… Leave it for now?” He suggested, earning a shy smile from Kellin.
“Alright.” He shrugged.
____
The next day at work, they had quite a few customers. Meaning Kellin and Laila were both asked to stay back to help the evening shift workers.
From Kellin: I’m going to stay late at work today, I don’t know what time I’ll be back.
From Vic: Alright. You have your car, right?
From Kellin: Yeah, I do. I’ll see you later x
Kellin tucked his phone back into his pocket and smiled as someone else came to order their food, accepting the money that had been offered to him afterwards and putting it into the register. When the girl he had been serving went back to her seat, Kellin glanced up to see Laila serving a teenage boy. And looking uncomfortable.
“-I don’t really want to…”
“Come on, don’t be a prude. Look, I’ll follow you home-“
“Hey, dude.” Kellin interrupted, smiling at a grateful looking Laila before walking around the counter. The boy was taller than him, by a long shot, with shaggy, long dirty blonde hair and a double lip piercing.
“What?” The boy sneered, English accent altered with a slight American twang.
“Look, whatever you’re offering, she doesn’t want anything to do with it, okay? So back off.”
“It’s got nothing to do with you so-“
“That’s irrelevant. You’re kind of harassing her-“
“What would you know, fucking fag.” The boy spat at Kellin. So he pounced.
Kellin punched the boy straight on the nose, causing him to stagger backwards, clutching his face. Kellin heard a distant shout of, “Ben!” Followed by several screams of, “Kellin, stop!” Before the boy retaliated, hitting Kellin in the eye. Kellin managed to get a couple more hits in, his clenched fist colliding straight with the boy’s mouth until he was yanked off, still swinging blindly. He stopped when he realised that it was Matty holding him back, a disapproving look on his face.
“Thanks,” Laila murmured to Kellin, both of them watching the boy, who had blood gushing from a wound in his mouth where his piercings had torn some skin. To be honest, Kellin saw it as kind of a win, until the police arrived, that is.
____
“Kellin? Where are you, you’ve been gone for ages? And where are you calling from?” Vic asked softly when Kellin rung him from the police phone. The one call thing wasn’t a lie. The officer had made it clear that unless this person was able to pay his bail, he’d be spending the night in prison. Which was not something that he could afford to do.
“Hey… Vic you’re probably going to be really mad at me…” Kellin began nervously. His eyes shot to the officer, who boredly raised his eyebrows at him, before he faced forward again.
“Why? Where are you?” Vic repeated.
“So I’m in jail…”
“You’re in jail.” Vic repeated simply. “Kellin what the fuck did you do?” He snarled over the phone, Kellin recoiling sadly at his tone.
“I just… I ended up in a fight-“
“Why the hell did you do that? Kellin, what is wrong with you‽” Vic demanded.
“I’m sorry, Vic! I only did it because-“
“How much do I need to bring?” Vic interrupted, sounding more fed up than anything.
“Um… A thousand dollars?” Kellin looked to the officer for clarification, sighing when he nodded unsympathetically.
“Oh my God, Kellin,” Vic groaned. “Do you really think we have this kind of money now?”
“I don’t, Vic I’m sorry-“
“I don’t really want to hear it now. I’ll pick up your car and come and get you.”
____
“Mr. Bostwick you’ve received bail. You’re free to go.” The cell door was opened, and Kellin eagerly stepped out, immediately walking to the front desk to sign whichever papers were being thrust in his direction. The woman sitting behind the plastic window tiredly stamped the things that Kellin had signed, then pulling out a grimy looking plastic tray with the things that Kellin had been carrying with him.
“One cellular phone, one set of keys…” She began to tick off monotonously, sliding the items towards Kellin’s eager hands. Once he’d received all his belongings, he was directed through the passageways he had been led through when he first entered the prison, coming face to face with Vic.
“Come on.” He said, storming out of the station with Kellin in tow. As soon as the cold wind hit his face, Kellin realised just how much it actually hurt where Ben had punched him. At least he’d only gone for his face, so he could walk just fine. There probably wasn’t any chance that Vic would want to be in the same room as him for a while though. For a number of reasons.
“Vic?” Kellin asked timidly.
“What?” Vic snapped, starting Kellin’s car.
“You’re pissed off.” Kellin stated knowingly.
“Of course I’m pissed off. Come on Kellin you ended up in jail. I’m not exactly going to be happy about that, am I?”
“I didn’t just randomly start a fight because I felt like it.” Kellin defended himself stiffly. Vic had every right to be angry with him, he was even kind of angry with himself, but he hadn’t even heard his side of the story yet. “I did it because this guy wouldn’t leave Laila alone.”
“It doesn’t matter why you did it, Kellin. I don’t care if you were defending your friend’s honour. The point is you got into a fight that could have easily been avoided, and now you’ve wasted money we could have used-“
“So I should have just sat by and watched it happen? I don’t-“
“No, Kellin, I’m not saying that at all. All I’m saying is that you could have just spoken to him-“
“You think I didn’t try that? Nothing was getting through to this kid, and then-“
‘And then what?” Vic snapped.
“And then he called me a fag.” Kellin finished angrily, slouching in his chair and crossing his arms petulantly. He was unused to being called that word, and although it had always somewhat offended him, it had never hurt so much. The guy hadn’t even known he was gay, but through the insult around simply because he could and he knew it would push anyone’s buttons, whether they be gay or not.
“That’s still not an excuse, Kellin.” Vic said stiffly, hands tight around the steering wheel as he continued on the drive home, ignoring Kellin for the rest of the journey.
♠ ♠ ♠
So I worked super hard to get this chapter finished and up today. I've got my first exams (well, school tests, but whatever) tomorrow so I won't post a lot. Don't forget, any comments and feedback is welcome, and thanks for reading so far :)