Sequel: Punk Rox! Book II
Status: COMPLETED

Punk Rox!

Trial of the Candy Aisle

“Dude, you gotta do it.”

“I do not! Not yet...”

“Andy...” Jake crossed his arms and looked at me sternly. I flinched inwardly. God, parent much?

“Don’t do this...” I begged like a child.

“Andy, I’m not father, but you sure as fuck need to tell him the truth.”

“I-... I know... I know! But-...”

“Andy, come on, your parents love you, they would never react the way Jesse’s did. You know that as well as anyone else.” Jake reassured, and I knew he was right. But how do you randomly call up your parents who, for the past twenty years – give or take – have thought you were straight?

And how does one explain to them all the relationships with the opposite sex? Would they even believe me? How would I even explain that?

I sighed in defeat. I know what I said to Jess, that no one else mattered but us, but it was easier said than done. My parents and I actually had a good relationship! How can I just tell them? And just a day before the tour? OVER THE PHONE?!

I’m going to pass out...

“It’s not like they’d hate you, Andy. Your parents are the two most understanding and accepting people I’ve ever met.” Jake continued, urging me to call them. He’s kind of taken the role of Jesse’s older brother, per se. Then again, anyone who gets close to him seems to begin exhibiting signs of over-protectiveness of the little guy. Albeit, even I find myself wanting to suddenly jump and attack people that randomly tease us on the street. It’s not a problem if it’s directed at me, but bring Jess into it and I’ll put your head on a stake.

Maybe that was just the feeling you got being around him. The feeling that you have to protect him. He’s so small and innocent...

NOT.

But he is pretty short and he’s not really strong.

He’s weaker than a four year old, who am I kidding?

He has surprisingly good lower body strength, though. How do I know that, you ask? Ethan jumped on his back one day, and I expected them to go down, but Jess – this is the surprising part – held his ground and was able to walk outside and dump the brunette’s ass on the pavement before skipping back inside.

Just like the cute little girl he is.

“Do it. It will make it easier for them – and you – in the future. With the tour coming, it’s perfect because you won’t be able to see them again until we swing around to Ohio and it will give them some time to think and let it sink in.” Jake had a good point. Damn him.

“Okay, okay, I get it...” I wasn’t too happy or psyched about this. Obviously.

I wasn’t prepared for it. I was still nervous and confused about my sexuality, of which I thought I’d already figured out years ago. My mind was operating at a chaotic pace that still couldn’t work out my feelings, nor that sudden impulse and lackadaisical intelligence I showed months ago in the recording studio.
But it was precisely that lacking intelligence and impulsiveness that opened up the amazing world with Jess I could have...if I could just get all of the “coming out” mess out of the way.

God, that feels weird on my tongue, in my head, on my person. More shit I’ll have to get used to, probably.

Jake pushed my cell phone into my hands and told me to “dial.” I sighed again, fucking drama...fucking tension...fucking head not working properly...but I did as I was told and called my mother first. Knowing the time in Ohio, they were both still at work. And Mom just seemed like the most reasonable first call.

Women are more understanding of this stuff, right?

“Hello?” She sound a bit flustered, and I could hear the bustle of her office in the background.

“Hi, Mom,” I greeted shakily.

“Hi, Andy...” Her voice drifted out for a second and I heard her yelling at someone half way across the room to “get those copies done!”

“Sorry, Sweetie, a little busy.” She apologized.

“Yeah, no, it’s...it’s cool...” I trailed off and looked up to Jake for something. He only glided his hand through the air in a circular gesture that made it apparent that he was urging me to keep going.

“Um, Mom, I-I need...to...tell you s-...something important...” Well that was rocket science.

“Okay,” She said as if it was nothing new. I opened my mouth to speak, but nothing came out.

OKAY?! WHAT THE FUCK?! OKAY?!

“At least show some curiosity...” I mumbled.

“Okay,” She repeated in the same tone, “Whatever is it that you must tell me just this very inconvenient second, Son?”

“You’re funny...” My voice went flat, but she only laughed a short, light-hearted chuckle.

“What is it, Sweetie?” She asked, a smile apparent in her voice.

“Stop calling me that...” I said under my breath. I wasn’t ten, goddammit!

“Aw, okay Munchkin.” I rolled my eyes.

“Mom, I’m dating a guy.” I stated, not sure where the sudden burst of confidence came from.

It was quiet, as suspected, but that didn’t last long, “Okay.”

I could only stare, gaping at the other side of the bus.

That simple, completely non-stunned response had left me utterly baffled and at a loss for words.

“What? What’d she say?” Jake rushed out, looking a little panicked and very curious.

“Okay...” I repeated.

“Okay?” Jake questioned with an askance that suggested he wasn’t sure if I was answering him or my mother.

“Okay.” I confirmed.

“Okay?” This time, it came from my mother. Clearly lost with the sudden round-a-bout of ‘okay’.

“Okay? Just okay? That’s all?” I said into the phone, getting back on the train of sense.

“Yeah. I’m not really surprised. I saw that picture with you and the smaller boy. Your cousin saw it and showed us.” She told me, “Besides, I always kind of suspected as much.”

My jaw hit the floor, “Moooom!” I whined.

That was cold...and she didn’t even tell me! And remind me to kill whichever cousin decided it smart to gossip to my parents about my newly equipped homosexual tendencies.

Joe... As if I have to ask...

“What, dear?”

“Don’t ‘what, dear’ me! Why!? Why...why wouldn’t you...? Why...? Why-why, why di-”

“Andy, when you pick your jaw up off the floor and figure out how to form a proper sentence, then call me back. I’m busy, Son, I’ll talk to you later. Love you!” And she hung up.

I...I just couldn’t speak...there were no words to explain what just happened.

“Andy?” Jake waved his hand in front of my face. I continued to gape blankly at the window opposite me.

“Andy...?” He began looking worried and started to shake my shoulders.

“What the fuck...?” It was barely audible, “What the fucking fuck? What the fu-...the fuck...fu-...fuck...”

“Maybe you should sit down...” Jake guided me to the seats and pushed me down. He then sat down beside me.

“You okay? What happened?” He asked quietly, maybe expecting the worst. Or maybe he was just concerned that I may need medical attention.

“She...knew...and...didn’t...she didn’t...she...they...” I still couldn’t form the words properly yet. I hadn’t fully gotten over the shock. Either that, or my brain short-circuited.

“They know?” Jake put it together after a moment’s contemplation, I nodded once.

“Well...call your Dad then.”

“No...” Enough shock...I was about to pass out as it was.

“Fine,” My phone suddenly disappeared from my hand. It took me a second to realize Jake had taken it and selected my father’s number from my phone’s contacts list.

“Here,” He handed back as it rang.

“Dude...” I sent a dazed, but still accusing look his way.

“Andy?” My father’s voice cut off whatever nonsense was about to come out of my mouth.

“H-hi! Hi! Dad...” I gulped, what the fuck is wrong with me? Get a fucking grip!

“Hello, Son?” He said, sounding more like a question.

“Come on, Andy, you said they already know, right? So, just tell him and let’s go.” Jake urged quietly so his voice wouldn’t be picked up by the line.

“You know you owe it to them to be honest.” I know, dude, I know! I didn’t voice the thought, but judging from the look on the guitarist’s face, I suspected it projected in my eyes.

“Uh, I kinda...already told Mom and...she said...this...not...shock...you...and...knew...so...um...g-gay...something...”

What the hell?

“What the hell?” Jake and Dad shouted at the same time.

“... Hi?”

Jake facepalmed, and ran his fingers through his hair in exasperation.

And awkward silence...

Jake rolled his eyes, “God...! You’re son’s gay!” He shouted so it was very easier for my father to hear.

“Oh, that...” Dad trailed off.

“No! I’m not... It’s not... I’m not... Gay... But I might by bi and I am dating another guy but...” I managed to get my wits about me enough to say that.

“Andy, that’s fine, you know we’ll love you no matter what. I’m glad you told us, it shows you’re ready to face diversity and anything others may throw at you. I’m sure your boyfriend’s happy. He’s cute, for a kid.” My father pretty much gave me his blessing. But that wasn’t the end. And I knew damn well what was coming next.

“How, uh, how old is he?” Of course...

“Nineteen,” That I could answer easily. I breathed a sigh of relief, too. Pressure’s off.

“So...” Did it just get awkward in here or is it just me?

“Is that all?” He asked.

“U-uh, yeah,” I answered.

“’Kay... Well... Good luck with the tour, Son.” Ah, the virtually unspoken bond between a father and his son...

“Yeah... Uh...bye?” I wasn’t sure what to do now.

“Yeah, um, bye...” And we just kind of hung up after another few seconds of awkward silence.

“Well, that was awkward.” Jake pointed out blatantly. It had me wondering if I should’ve seen it as an offense to my intelligence.

“Really?” I asked sarcastically.

Now, some of you may be wondering, what about the fans? Well, since this whole ordeal started, I began blocking out Twitter and avoided questions. I wasn’t ready to go public, but it was too late, anyway. I may not be prepared, but everyone knows now, so what’s it matter?

But I can still put off public confirmation for a little while longer...

At least until I talk to Jess and figure out exactly what to say.

Speaking of the midget...

“Where’s Jess?” I looked to Jake for an answer. To the annoyance of my already frayed nerves, my guitarist only shrugged, got up to grab a beer, and laid back lazily on the seats.

I glared subtly at the serious lack of reaction. I was tempted to kick him off the damned seat and throw him out the door to find the kid for me.

Sue me for thinking he was keeping track of Jesse, whom he’d spent the first two hours of the day with lazing about the bus.

I decided against the idea and got up instead, sighing at Jake’s apathy. Although, what did I seriously expect? It was Jake for fuck’s sake.

Damn it, and where’s CC?!

“In that case, where’s C?” I didn’t bother looking down.

“I don’t know,” Came Jake’s lackadaisical response, jumbling the words together into something along the lines of ‘I-uh-oh’.

-Sigh-

“Jinxx!” I called loud enough for my voice to carry towards the back of the bus, where Jinxx was probably writing music or talking to Sammi.

“Uh?” Was the lazy reply. God, what is it today with my guitarists?

“Where’s Jesse and CC?” I already knew where Ashley was. And no, not the obvious. In fact, he was prowling the nearest mall with Jon. We went through clothes like sheet music so, it was kind of necessary.

“Uh...” Jinxx’s voice trailed off as if he was thinking, “I think they went with Skeeter and Ethan to Wal-Mart.”

Jake and I exchanged glances.

“What-” Jake.

“The-” Me.

“Fuck.” Both in unison.

At Wal-Mart...

I managed to drag Jake with me to the superstore. We couldn’t take the bus, but we couldn’t leave it, either so Jinxx stayed behind – much to his delight, and Jake’s dismay – and Jake and I walked there. The city we were in was relatively close to together, a bit like New York, I suppose. So walking around until we found the Wal-Mart wasn’t really all that tasking, but Jake bitched about it for the first seven minutes before finally shutting up.

“How are we even going to find them?” Jake muttered, still pissed that I forced him out of the confides of the bus, risking getting spotted. Like I cared, though. How many teenagers would be at Wal-Mart on a Thursday afternoon? Besides, we looked normal enough. No paint, no particularly stunning clothes, I figured it would be enough to throw off anyone.

A calculation of which Jake had criticized, but it did work pretty well most of the time. People like to give us the benefit of doubt when we look like your regular, everyday pedestrians. Not rockstars covered in leather and paint with hair like spiky black pompoms.

I hadn’t even bothered with straightening my hair, much less tease it. I guess the lethargy of the day had been contagious.

“Let’s see... An easily excited idiot, an overactive goofball, a hyperactive black flash of happy, and a giddy brunette... What do you think?” I turned to Jake, my question rhetorical.

Jake and I stared at each other, sharing the same thought before saying it aloud in tandem.

“Candy aisle.”

It didn’t take long to find them.

“Chibi!” Jess squealed happily when he saw me and immediately jumped to hook his arms around my neck. I staggered back a step, but laughed at the open display of affection, wrapping my arms around him. Jake and CC watched with twin smirks, trying to smother their amusement.

Ethan and Skeeter were a different case.

The mocha-haired teens were in the middle of a war with candy corn.

“Um, wow...” Jake stated, amusement glinting in his eyes.

“Yeah, they’ve been at it for about three minutes now.” CC explained, turning back around to watch Ethan toss a handful of candy corn a Skeeter’s chest, only to get the rest of the drummer’s bag dumped over his head.

The skater then returned by gripping the bottom of his bag, swinging it around, and hitting Skeet in face with it. The move also sent the remaining candies flying all over the aisle. I watched idly as several pieces bounced over my shoes. Jess and his little giggly self jumped back a few paces, avoiding the candy corn like they would blow up if they touched him.

Jake fell back a step ineffectively as the orange candy crashed into his sneakers like a wave of sugary tides. CC only looked down when some pieces bounced off his pants, but was otherwise completely unaffected.

The brunettes, however, grabbed two more bags of candy, tore them open and kept going. I shook my head, but felt an amused smirk tugging at my lips.

I quickly backpedalled when I found a bag of lollipops flying at my head, though. I flung my hands up to deflect it, looking up to see CC snickering and Jake grinning.

I wasn’t entirely certain who had thrown the attack, but judging from the mischievous glint in Jake’s hazel eyes, I had a pretty good idea. I narrowed my own and prepared to return the foray when a bag of what I assumed was Pixy Stix flew past me and bounced off the side of Jake’s head harmlessly. But it had the intended effect.

I looked over my shoulder to see Jess giggling into his hands. Jake nodded sarcastically, his eyes trained on the ceiling before they flicked back to Jesse and his hand reached out, launching a Tootsie-Roll bag at him.

I didn’t see if it hit or not because I suddenly came face-to-face with a handful of candy corn.

“Fuck!” I shouted in shock, ducking my head to shield my eyes as the candies jumped off my hair and shoulders.

I raised my eyes to glare at CC, who was laughing his ass off.

I smirked darkly. My drummer’s laughter quickly died down.

I reached out slowly, plucked a Jolly-Roger bag off the shelf closest to me, tore it open and grabbed the bottom corners to slash it through the air. It sent a wave of colorful candy flying towards the four guys in front of me. Returning the favor Jake had paid me earlier as well as CC, hitting Ethan and Skeet in the process.

The two in my band quickly covered their faces from the barrage that smacked Skeeter in the back of the head and reflected off Ethan’s forehead.

Jess burst out laughing.

Jake and CC exchanged knowing glances before reaching down, grabbing a handful of the candy that was sprawled across the floor like a colorful, sugary sea and chucked them right back at me and Jess. I ducked, dropping to the floor and took up the lollipop bag at my feet. I barely saw Jesse jump out the way of the onslaught of candy corn and Jolly-Rogers in my peripheral.

I had the plastic ripped open and lollipops flying back in Jake and CC’s direction in record time. But I had other problems in the form of two brunettes. Apparently, they didn’t appreciate getting hit with the shock waves of my previous attack.

Before I knew it, a huge wave of candy corn was coming right at my head. I used the lollipop bag as a shield.

I fell back beside Jesse while Jake and CC took left, Ethan and Skeeter to the right.

Next thing I remember is candy flying in every direction.

We eventually got yelled at by an old couple with their granddaughter who were passing through and dragged Ethan and Skeeter, who were arguing over who had won, to the exit. Jake and CC were trying to pick candy out of their hair and from under their shirts while Jess and I lagged behind, trying to hear the angry venting of the employee who had found the aftermath of our war.

“Goddammit! ... Fucking Thursdays! ... Goddamn kids!” We caught little snippets like that until we passed out of range.

I then sighed inaudibly. The shit I get into with these idiots...

“That was fun,” Jess nudged my arm with his, a smile playing on his lips.

“Yeah,” I returned the warm gesture. That I couldn’t deny, it was fun.

“No way! I totally fucking pwned!” I heard Ethan shout, tuning back into the fight.

“Bitch, did you see me with the Kit-Kats? That was fucking pwnage!” Skeet argued back.

“Are you forgetting how I totally socked Jesse with those gummy worms?” Ethan retorted, I saw a frown tug at Jesse’s lips at the memory.

“Cheap shot...” He muttered under his breath. I smiled, amused.

“Fuck the gummy worms!” Skeeter wasn’t backing down, “What about how I fucking bitch slapped Jake with the Laffy Taffy?”

I snickered, remembering said moment and quickly trying to suffocate it when Jake glared at me over his shoulder. But it was half-hearted and was quickly replaced by a smile and an entertained shake of his head.

What a day. I definitely didn’t expect going to Wal-Mart, much less getting into a rather immature candy battle. But none of us can deny the relief from the stress of our everyday it had given us.

Fun.

Light-hearted, laugh-filled fun. And something we probably won’t get to do again for a while.

Once we were out of the store, Jess grabbed my wrist, halting our steps while the others went on, oblivious. I looked down into Jesse’s cerulean-chrome eyes. An innocent sparkle reflecting in the sunlight.

No words were exchange, but a virgin graze of lips instead.

Jess lowered back down so his feet were firmly planted on the sidewalk, a small crooked smile on his face. There was a childish sweetness to it that made me return it.

He slipped his hand into mine, nails colored like a rainbow compared to mine, painted a simple black. Jess twirled around, dragging me with him as he raced after our friends and band mates.
♠ ♠ ♠
I suck at doing things :|
I kept forgetting about updating and when I remembered I just kept putting it off...sorry, whoever bothers to read this besides Kat...