Drunk Girl

1/1

A streak of pain shot through John's head as he tried to open his eyes, only to be met by his mortal enemy that was the sunlight streaming through his window. He had apparently been too out of it last night to remember to shut the curtains that blocked all light out of his room.

He tried turning over in bed, only to be met by a shock of pain in his side. He had to force himself to open his eyes to look at his ribs that were streaked with dark purple bruises. He leaned his head back against his pillow, trying to remember last night, but having much difficulty in doing so.

He groaned as he tried to sit up, immediately feeling sick. He knew he had two options: get to the bathroom quick or throw up in his bed. As he swung his feet around to the edge of the bed, he realized he had chosen the wrong option as the pain caused his stomach to turn even more, and he ended up emptying out its contents all over the side of his bed and the floor. He'd have to deal with cleaning that up later. Right now all he wanted was to take a shower.

It took him an extra twenty minutes longer than normal in the shower because every two minutes he felt ill and had to sit down in the shower. It was pathetic. He hadn't been this hungover since his first season with the Islanders when he had a drinking contest with Sam Gagner in the offseason, losing miserably. That man could drink like nobody's business.

He shut the water off and grabbed his towel , wrapping it around his waist after drying himself off a bit. He was still trying to remember what had happened last night and why he had potentially broken ribs right now. A couple of memories flashed through his head, and he tried to piece them together.

John had a whiskey and coke in his hand. He had reached for the hard liquor over the beer he had been drinking after he saw his ex-girlfriend and her best friend walk inside the party. He and Dana had broken up after John had realized he didn't like her. Not like he liked Stella, Dana's best friend. While John hadn't specifically told Dana that his feelings for Stella was the ultimate reason he had broken up with her, he knew Dana had figured it out, and she was pissed. When it had first happened, she had yelled and screamed and thrown things at John. And, John knew that time hadn't helped her get over it all, but instead gave her time to let her feelings fester.

He knocked back the drink in his hand and waited for the results to take effect as he grabbed another one. He knew he was going to have to have a lot of alcohol in his system if he was going to get through tonight.

Dana had seen him from across the room, and John watched as she elbowed Stella in the arm and pointed over at him. He wished he hadn't come to the party tonight, that he had told Matt Moulson that he had something else to do, but he was here, and he had to deal with it. He sucked down his second whiskey and coke, setting the cup on the table as he saw Dana and Stella walking his way.


John shut his eyes tightly, not able to remember what happened next. He assumed he had a conversation with Dana, probably one that was more her yelling than him getting a word in edgewise, but he just couldn't remember. Apparently, the alcohol had taken effect by that point.

John was outside on the patio, trying to keep himself upright, having a hard time with the alcohol wanting his body to lose the fight with gravity. He had nearly fallen over three times while walking outside, and he was still swaying while trying to simply stand still.

The patio sliding glass door opened, and Matt saw Stella walk towards him. He wondered if Dana was close by behind her, but Stella shut the door behind her and walked over to him. She was giggling and John was fairly sure she was at least a little bit drunk, too, but he couldn't be sure in his state.

Stella didn't say anything as she just stood there staring at him. John wasn't sure what he was thinking, maybe the problem was that he was thinking at all, but he closed the gap between the two of them, putting his hands on the back of Stella's head and pressing his lips to hers.


John couldn’t remember the next several moments very clearly. He partially remembered she kissed him back, or maybe that's what he wanted to remember. But, suddenly another memory rushed back into his mind.

A large man came out onto the patio and pulled him away from Stella. John was used to be pushed and shoved in a hockey game, but he at least knew when to brace himself during those feuds. This one came out of nowhere, and John wasn't prepared for a man to suddenly have his hand on John's shoulder, pulling him backwards and pushing him up against the sliding glass door.

John lost his balance, falling over at an odd angle, half his back pressed up against the glass and the other half on the concrete ground. He didn't have time to brace himself before he felt a foot repeatedly go into his ribcage.


Now he had an answer to why he felt like he had multiple broken ribs. He'd have to get those checked out later, but right now he had something more important to do.

After calling a few people and making sure that things wouldn’t get back to Dana, he finally found Stella's address, knowing he needed to talk to her. He couldn't believe it when her address happened to be the place where the party was last night. He didn't know whose house it was when he arrived last night. Matt had invited him, saying he knew some people who were going, and John had assumed Matt was friends with the homeowner. Apparently, that wasn't the case. Or Matt had conveniently left out the part about it being Stella's house.

John drove to the house, seeing trash everywhere out on the porch and yard. If he didn't know better, he would have thought a high school party had been thrown there the night before based on the scene before him.

He parked his car out in front of the house and got out, doing a double take when he saw a guy passed out in the front lawn. He wished he could have remembered the rest of his night, but it appeared it had been a crazy party.

John didn't even make it up to the top step on the porch before the front door opened and Stella walked out. She hesitated for a second before walking towards him. "John," she acknowledged him. He wondered if she remembered last night. He couldn't remember half of it, so he couldn’t really blame her if she was the same way. Her voice got even quieter as she said, "Is everything okay?"

John opened his mouth to reply and promptly shut it. He saw Stella lean in, and he started to do the same, as they joined for a kiss. John was the first one to pull away, shaking his head. "This can't happen," he said. "Not right now. Not like this."

"What?" Stella asked, confused. John wanted to be with her, not be a drunk hookup, or a hungover hookup. But, that's all this was turning out to be. "Everything is going to be just fine," she assured him.

But, John couldn't agree. He could have been anyone last night and right now. She didn't know the difference last night, and she didn't really care right now. He shoved his hands in his pockets, knowing nothing was ever going to happen with her. Things couldn't happen with her. Not with his history with Dana and not after what had happened last night. Without a word, he turned around and walked away from Stella.

He waited on her to run after him and tell him to wait. But, when she didn't he knew he was right. He could have been anyone to her. He kissed a drunk girl, and that was all it surmounted to in the end.