‹ Prequel: The Lights
Status: One-Shot

Happily Ever After

One/One

“Remember when your truck broke down five miles out of town?”

“Be nice...”

Britany giggled, “I am. I just remember we were freezing.”

“It wasn't that bad,” Michael objected softly. “You just wanted an excuse to cuddle up to me.”

She smiled sheepishly, her expression always sending a jolt of electricity through his veins. She was perfect in every way to him, and he in every way to her. He couldn't understand how she could love someone such as himself, who had so much to hide. Michael trusted her more than anyone, but he couldn't bring himself to tell her what he really was. Why he disappeared, what made his eyes that beautiful shade of gold.

He had never been as close to another living being as he was to Britany. She made him feel like he could be human again, enjoy life without worries. The love that swelled in his heart was painful, but in the most pleasurable way.

Britany's eyes traveled down his body in the moment of silence. She saw the mottled scars across his abdomen and reached a hand out. His abs twitched at her gentle touch and he looked at her, his orbs sending a wave down her spine.

“What happened?” she murmured. It was far from the first time she had asked that question.

“I think we should go as Beauty and the Beast.”

Her eyebrows furrowed together. “What?”

“For the costume party,” he explained. “Beauty and the Beast seems fitting.” He offered her a warm smile. There he went, changing the subject again. If she dared bring up anything overly personal, he would change the subject; it was one of his many incredible talents.

It did not bother Britany all that much. Even though Michael kept secrets, she felt an undeniable amount of trust towards him. She felt safe beside him, in his embrace. As long as he was near her, she felt invincible, able to do anything.

Britany smiled softly and ran a hand up his bare chest. “It sounds like a great idea. What made you think of that?”

“Because you're a beauty and I'm a beast.”

“Well, someone's confident in themselves.”

“I wasn't talking about my bed skills,” he smiled cheekily, making crimson splotch her cheeks.

“Then, what did you mean?”

Michael fell silent, simply watching her with a soft gleam in his eye. “Britany,” he breathed. “You know I love you, right?”

The brunette blinked at him. “Yes...”

“Do you love me?”

“Of course!” She sounded somewhat offended he would even ask that.

“Okay.” He rolled over, reaching into his bedside drawer. Britany leaned on an elbow to get a better glance, but he was quick in grabbing what he wanted and giving her a warning look. “No peaking.” Britany scrunched her nose at him and he chuckled. “Brit, I love you. More than anyone else. You were put in my life for a reason, to be mine and for me to be yours. This life has been really rough on the both of us, but I feel like when I'm with you...the world doesn't stand a chance. I want to feel like that forever—with you.”

Michael presented a little black box. “I wanted to give you something so much better...” He opened the lid. Britany's heart pounded. A ring was huddled inside; it was simple, but so marvelous and beautiful. “Marry me?”

Tears pricked at her eyes. She threw an arm around his body. “Yes,” she mumbled into his shoulder before looking into his eyes. “Yes, I will.”

Michael's teeth flashed. His hand gripped the back of her head, planting her lips on his in a furious kiss. They pulled away and the ring was slipped on. Britany stared at it, eyes gleaming, as he brushed the hair back from her face.

“I love you,” he whispered.

*
“What do you think of lavender, hot pink, and silver?” Britany offered.

“Sounds good,” came a dull answer.

“Michael!” Britany barked and he looked up at her with a quirked eyebrow. “You've said that for the past five color choices.”

“Its whatever you want, babe,” Michael offered.

“But I want your opinion.”

“You can pick calf scour green and and rusty red and I wouldn't care as long as it was what you wanted.”

Britany tried to suppress her smile. “Fine, whatever works. We have tux fittings tomorrow, remember?”

“Yes, babe.”

“Did you just agree with me because you're not even listening?”

“Yes, babe.”

Britany grabbed the pamphlet and smacked him over the head. Michael cringed away, rubbing at his curls. “Focus,” she commanded.

“I told you,” Michael said, “whatever you want, I'm fine with. And, yes, I remembered the tuxedo fittings tomorrow along with the flower picking-out meeting you want to go to Thursday.”

“So you do listen.”

“Yes. I do. Thank you for noticing.”

Britany crinkled her nose at him before going back to the pamphlet of never-ending shades of color.

*

“So why is it that you get to come to my tuxedo fittings, but I don't get to be anywhere near you when you try on your dress?”

“Because you know nothing about clothes and I do,” was Britany's answer.

They approached the bridal shop. Its many mannequins lined up in front of the large windows were dressed in their best of tuxs and wedding gowns.

Britany reached for the door handle when Michael stopped her. “Don't walk into that building! You'll set the sprinklers off.”

She stared at him, unsure how to react for a few moments. “Why?”

“Because you're that smokin',” he responded with a grin and a wink before opening the door for her.

Britany continued to stare at him, dumbfounded and lost for words. Finally, she simply shook her head and moved by him into the air conditioning. “You are so cheesy sometimes...”

“But that's why you're marrying me, right?” he responded, looping an arm around her waist. “Its because I make anything sound good.”

“Mm, depends on the day.”

“Oh, whatever. I can always get you to at least smile for me. So I'm, obviously, doing something right.”

“Sure...”

“Don't ruin my self-confidence.”

Britany looked up at him and smiled before separating herself to go speak with the woman that was waiting for them. Checking in and being moved towards the back of the store, they were met with a couple of familiar faces.

Sean, Jess, and Clayton were seated amongst the many samples of tuxedos that could be picked out for grooms-to-be.

“Find something suitable for him, Jess?” inquired Britany.

Michael's best friend held up her hands from her seat on her Sean, her boyfriend's, lap. “I haven't got a clue what would work. Ask Sean; he's the fashion nut.”

“A little extreme of a title to give a straight man,” Sean said, Australian accent thick. “But I'd say those two over there.” He pointed towards the two mannequins across from them. “But its up to the future bride on what she wants to see her hubby in. And what's going to be easy to get off when the night's through.”

Michael snorted as Jess reached back to slap Sean in the head. “That is not funny! Why are you always thinking like that?” she growled and looked at Britany apologetically.

“He's a hormonal teenage boy,” was Clayton's answer.

“I'm nineteen.”

“Still a teenager,” Michael shot in with a grin, earning a glower from the Australian.

*

Britany sighed and sat back on the couch, closing her eyes as a headache began to claw at her skull. She felt Michael's presence in the room before one of her shoes was pulled off, than the other.

Britany peeked an eye open. “What are you doing?”

“You were complaining about your feet hurting earlier, weren't you?” asked Michael, beginning to massage her feet with strong, callused hands.

Britany smiled and leaned her head back. “You're amazing, you know that?”

He smirked and looked up from beneath his eyelashes as he kneaded the balls of her feet. “Yes, I do.”

Slowly, his hands worked up her legs, her palms, arms, neck. She sighed when his lips pressed against hers. He cupped her cheeks, lips fiercer against hers. An unspoken message of love, put into action what he couldn't put into words. Her finger's ghosted over his curls, his chiseled jaw aligned with bristles.

Their lips parted, Michael biting at her bottom lip before whispering, “you're so beautiful...” Her cheeks flushed, causing a smile to crawl onto his handsome face. “I love you so much.” His voice cracked, a ring of pain within the sound waves that made Britany's eyebrows furrow.

“What's wrong?” she demanded quietly, running her hands down his face. His golden eyes had turned to liquid, open and sad. The warmth was dimmed, making her uneasy.

Michael wanted to speak the truth—the truth about what he was. They were nearing a life together that would last until the end of their days, but what could he tell her? He was immortal, wanted to make her the same? How could she believe that? His heart ached to have her accept him for what he was, but he couldn't bare to scare her away. Not yet. The inner turmoil had the pain in his chest increasing, but he swallowed it down. “Nothing,” he answered after clearing his throat. “Nothing at all. Its just hard to believe that I have you...Tell me you love me.”

She smiled slightly. “I love you.”

“Again.”

“I love you.” She leaned forward to give him a quick kiss.

“You really love someone like me?”

“Of course.” Britany cocked her head to the side. “Like you? Who couldn't love someone like you?”

Michael shook his head, breathing deeply. “One more time.”

Britany took his face in her hands, making him look straight into her eyes. With as much meaning and passionate forcefulness as she could, she obeyed his wish, “I love you. And I always will.”
♠ ♠ ♠
FINALLY.

Britany, I am so sorry. Congratulations on graduating from college and your job! This is so late, but I thought I'd still tell you! Have some cheesy Michael love. :)