Clarity

Nothing Like Her

Tom has no words as to what he is witnessing at this moment. The way his dear friend, Xianghua, the one who figuratively held onto his jacket like a child found someone of the opposite sex to be close to.

To be honest, he expected her to be close to Scarlett or Cobie. Scarlett has a quiet demeanor that Xianghua can relate to unless she is intimidated by the confidence and beauty of the red head. More than possibly, yes.

As for Cobie, Xianghua became friends with the less intimidating woman, Cobie is equally as attractive as Scarlett, but had her walls down. Still, she is still closer to Chris.

Xianghua’s laughter rang across the set, in realization she clamped a hand over her mouth giving an apologetic wave. Chris gently took her wrist and lowered her hand that hid her lips. A few words were said that resulted in rosy cheeks.

The smile that emitted from the American had Tom take a second look. Chris had that look of endearment, a share of liking the woman before him. He didn’t know what transpired between the two of them, but when he saw Xianghua the following day there was something off about her.

“Looks like those crazy kids hit it off.” Robert appeared beside Tom.

He only nodded sharing his opinion, “They get on exceptionally well. More than I expected.”

The older man grinned devilishly, “Oh? Did you want Xi all to yourself? I think Paty should be aware of your deluded thoughts.” As quickly as it appeared, his disposition shifted, “I know you are only looking out for your friend. She’s been a huge target with the media and a lot of shit is going on. I don’t read the tabloids, but any trained eye can see Xi is trying to move on from heartbreak. Someone broke her heart and from where I’m standing, Evans is helping with the moving forward process. Whatever becomes of them, leave ‘em alone.”

Robert looked up despite being demanding, his 5’10 frame held nothing against Tom’s 6’2. “I’m a fucking leprechaun compared to you, trying to be serious and I can’t even take myself seriously with my face up to your shoulder.”

Tom smirked at his idol’s mumbling. To boost his ego he responded, “You’re right. I should let what comes natural between them and let it take its course.”

“I know I’m right.”

Even though the pit of his stomach twisted in uncertainty and guilt, he will try not to think of what Ben might think when the relationship came to light.

_ _ _

Paty never felt more pressure in her life than the turmoil Ben is going through right now. As of when Xianghua left English soil, she tried to maintain a level of positive energy about her when she is around Ben.

He can be such a sour puss and it is obvious (to her at least) the poor man is in deep liking or dare say love with Xianghua. She wants to take Tom’s advice and wait a few months, but the task has proven quite much.

Within a months’ time Paty was the best mate on the planet and stuck like glue to Ben’s side who astonishingly hasn’t said a word about her hanging around him so much. Now here they are sitting in a pub with a few of their mates and Paty decided to put him in the spotlight since most of their mates were pissed off their arses.

“Benny, dear can I ask you a question?”

The man turned his attention to the young actress in quiet thought. “You already did, but you may ask another.”

Paty rolled her eyes before scooting closer hating to yell when the loud bustle of chatter engulfed their ability to hear properly. “What’s your mindset on dating? For you, I mean.” She clarified before she got another cheeky remark.

He held on to the longest pause she has ever endured in her short life, cautiously he responds, “What will this entail?”

Shrugging her shoulders, she played with the straw on her drink. “Nothing really except I know someone that fancies you.” She tried to play it off cool, oh she hoped it works out well and it wouldn’t’ involve her begging.

Paty is willing to put on a show if needed…

The corners of his mouth faltered, in the depth of his mind he hoped it wasn’t Xianghua—or did he? He didn’t know, but didn’t she know Xianghua already confessed to him? It’s probably not her.

The likelihood of that is high.

“She’s sweet, loving, and a little bubbly for you, but I think it will be a good fit.” The nervousness is evident on her features as she dabbled with the idea of telling him she is a fan of his work. Not particularly a fan girl just someone she admires.

“How old is she?”

Paty is caught off guard by his question. She never expected him to ask something like that. Age was never an issue before… “Er, 34.” Ben drummed his fingers on the plush seat considering meeting this woman. He has established to Tom and Martin that he does date around, but no line of support came through.

He needed evidence.

“And her name?”

“Deirdre.”

Deirdre.” The name sounded so foreign on his lips. He said nothing as he mulled over the idea. “Anything—drastic I need to know about her?”

“Other than she’s the heiress to the Meyers Corp. Nothing else, classy gal, loves art and a history buff.” Ben didn’t expect her to say that. The woman sounded…not so bad. The more Paty talked about Deirdre the more inclined he is to meeting her.

After careful consideration, he accepted the date. Paty beamed with excitement as she proudly extended the invitation to her friend.

It didn’t take long for Deirdre to get back to her. A little overwhelming to see that the woman is actually very eager to meet him or that is what he perceived it. Initially he thought he would at least be given a few days to come to terms with going on a date, but no it only took less than twenty-four hours and here he was standing at her door.

Ben fidgeted under the gleaming light on her doorstep, fixing his tie he rapped on the door a few times mindlessly forgetting the doorbell not that far from him. He blinked stupidly when his eyes caught the small button that could have made this so much easier.

Was he nervous?

He didn’t know and unfortunately didn’t have time to figure it out as the door swung open revealing the woman before him. Nothing spectacular stood out to him as his eyes roamed her form, typical pale skin slightly blotched around her neck possibly a rash of some sort, she tried to cover it up with concealer and it worked for the most part until he focused on it.

She is of average height coming up to his shoulder, caramel eyes wide in anxiety and glee as if she couldn’t believe he is standing at her door, small thin lips painted with red lipstick that reminded him of a particular girl.

The shade of red reminded him of Xianghua, she always wore red lipstick for the most part and when Deirdre flashed him a smile he saw Xianghua instead. Ben shook his head in dismissal before offering her a friendly smile, “Hello, you must be Deirdre.”

“Yes! Yes I am. So very nice ta meet ya.” The accent is unquestionably American as she shook Benedict’s hand. He felt sorry for her as he felt her sweaty palm in his. Taking a few steps back he asked if she was ready to go. Being the gentleman he is, he extended his arm once she closed her door.

Taking in her features again, he noticed the small bump at the bridge of her nose before it curved up. Small flaws that he compared to Xianghua’s features; he shouldn’t be focused on comparing.

This is a date, a date that he was looking forward to or so he thought.

Deirdre is a kind, sweet and very bubbly person once she got over the fact that he is merely human like everyone else. That took her a couple of dates in, Ben enjoyed her company and he hasn’t laughed in ages, but something held him back.

There was no spark, no fuel or ignition when he pressed his lips against hers for the first time on their fourth date. He politely asked her if he could kiss her and with a shy response coming from her, he did so. She became a little eager a few seconds in inclining him to extend the same amount of force into the kiss.

Deirdre exuded passion, fire and warmth with her kisses, Ben felt like he is only playing tit for tat. His kisses were bland, only adding the needed pressure to not make her feel like an overeager woman.

There were hearts in her eyes whenever she saw him and he solely went through the motions: sending her flowers, text that reassured her that he had a good time on their dates and in the weight of it all he slept with her.

He didn’t know what he was doing at the time. After the first kiss, Deirdre became the instigator, showing affection every chance she got. Ben is simply a man and getting the attention from any woman that isn’t related to him felt like a win to him. He knew he isn’t the most attractive man; he compared himself to a horse for goodness sakes.

His face is way too long, peculiar shaped head, mismatched eyes, a brooding face, bow shaped lips along with his wild curls and lanky frame to top it off.

Each kiss, each touch he started to relish in it. When was the last time he was touched like he is the most important and sexiest man alive? He couldn’t remember and with that single thought, he caved.

Only to have regretted it later on, now Deirdre is now hooked. Those days turned into months and before he knew it, Deirdre is tagging along everywhere he went. Of course, he invited her and Paty was beyond thrilled at the matchmaking. The two thankfully never spoken about relationship status, but in the pit of his stomach those unspoken words already screamed couple when the duo was together.

She’s a lovely woman, beyond lovely. The sweetest woman with a mouth that could ramble for hours on end. He didn’t have to talk for the most part, nodding his head from time to time and when she caught herself she sheepishly smiled at him before pulling him into conversation.

With Deirdre clinging onto his arm and his hand gripping hers in a sweet fashion, Paty bounced in her seat when she exclaimed the most exciting news. “Tom and Xi are coming back tomorrow! We should throw them a welcome back party.”

The group agreed, going on about details of the simple bash that will take place once they landed. Deirdre joined in, adding her specific taste and detail to the ideas Paty had roaming in her notepad. Ben on the other hand, felt his hand slacken at the news.

Coming home?

He wracked his brain to remember if it has been five months since the departure. It has. A tight knot formed in his throat as he quietly let his mind race a million miles per hour thinking he should have never have come here in the first place.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh my goodness, I can't believe the amount of readers and recs I have been getting! Thank you all so much! And for the ones that comment I thank you. You really push me to update sooner and brew new and exciting ideas.

The homecoming of Xianghua and Tom are in the next chapter! How many of you are excited? If I get awesome reviewers, who knows I possibly will update within the next few days? Love you all :D