The Baker

1/1

Katie stepped back from the cake she was working on, breaking her concentration for the first time in almost an hour, to observe her work. The cake, which was a special order for a bridal shower, was a Tiffany's box. The cake was white, almond flavored with raspberry buttercream between each of the three layers, the bride had picked this flavor combination per the baker's suggestion. After spending ten minutes on getting the frosting the perfect shade of blue Katie took special care spreading the frosting over the cake.

Katie placed the now frosted cake in the fridge so she could start working on the white fondant bow for the top of the cake. She pulled the tub of marshmallow fondant out of the cooler and got herself a decent sized sheet to begin cutting and stretching into shape. She took her pizza cutter and began slicing the fondant into evenly sized ribbons to begin making the bow. Katie was just about to start when the bell over the door jingled, letting her know she had a customer.

"Be with you in just one minute!" She called cheerily over the music in the shop.

"No rush," a male voice returned. Katie wiped her hands on her apron, popped the fondant back in the cooler, and headed out to the counter.

"Sorry about that," She said, coming through the swinging door that separated the kitchen from the front of the bakery.

"It's okay," The man smiled, he was leaning on the counters, his palms planted firmly on the glass top.

"What can I do for you today?" Katie smiled back to him. He was handsome, sporting short, messy blonde hair and he had clear blue eyes; He wore a simple black V-neck and well fitting jeans. Katie thought about all the frosting staining her apron and wished she would have taken it off before coming out of the kitchen. She wasn't even supposed to be working the front today, but her co-worker had called off, leaving her to run the bakery by herself.

"Well," He said, pulling a folded piece of paper, "I heard this is the best place to get a cake," Katie smiled at the compliment as He unfolded the paper and slid it across the counter, "I need this logo on a cake big enough to feed about a hundred." Katie studied the image, it was simple lettering and basic colors, "Whatcha think that would run me?"

"Depends on the flavors you wanted," She answered, "This is pretty simple."

He nodded, "And what are my options?" Katie pulled a flavor sheet from beneath the register and approached the counter, sliding the list over to him.

"These are the cake flavors, under them are the recommended frosting flavors," She explained, "I'm Katie, by the way, I'm the head baker here."

"Sean," He grinned, now taking his time to look her over and not being careful to hide it. Katie noticed his observing eyes, making her more self conscious, "What do you suggest?"

"Erm," She stammered, "Chocolate's always a crowd pleaser, we have a really amazing lemon cake, people order that a lot-"

"But what do you like?" Sean asked, giving her a smirk as he leaned in closer. He could tell he was making her nervous, which made him smile more. The way she chewed her lip out of nervousness was adorable and it took all he had not to place his hand over hers.

"Strawberry cake, chocolate between the layers, marshmallow icing," She answered, "It's like Neapolitan, but a thousand times better."

"A thousand?" He asked, raising an eyebrow, "Well, I'm gonna have to try that."

"If you want to come back in an hour I can have a sample ready for you," She offered.

Sean nodded, "That sounds good to me, Katie."

"Can I have your number?" Katie asked, her eyes going wide once she realized what she'd said, "I mean, for the cake sample, I-"

"Of course you can," Sean said while she fumbled for a note pad and a pen. He took the pen from her, purposely brushing her hand with his fingertips. He wrote the numbers neatly and his name underneath, "Gimmie a call as soon as it's ready," He gave her the pen back, "And I'll hurry back."

"Will do," She said, glancing down at his number written in his neat handwriting.

"See you soon, Katie," Sean said, winking at her before heading for the door. Katie leaned back against the wall at watched through the large front window as Sean crossed the street, heading for a coffee shop.

_________________________________________________


Katie dialed Sean's number again, looking at the sample she'd made up and then to the clock. She had already stayed over twenty minutes past closing. Sean's phone went to voicemail, again, and this time she gave up and dumped the cake into the garbage can. She'd already cleaned up for the night, so all she had to do was double check the fridge and lock the door.

As she made her way out of the kitchen, Sean entered the bakery looking frazzled.

"I'm so sorry," he said, running a hand through his hair.

"It's fine," She said, looking at the small cake she'd tossed, "Not a big loss."

"I'm having a house built," He said, "They hit a gas line digging the foundation and the builder had to have me up there to deal with the cops and-"

"You don't owe me an explanation," Katie said, avoiding looking at him and shifting her purse from one shoulder to the other, "I was just heading home, so if you want to come back tomorrow-"

"Yeah," He nodded, "Of course, I'll be here."

Katie grabbed her keys as Sean remained still in the bakery, "I'm closing now," She said, hinting to him that it was time to go.

"Right," He said with a sigh, feeling like an asshole. He followed her to the door where she let him out first, closing and locking the door behind her. Sean watched her lock the door, his eyes wandering a bit until she turned around.

"Ah," She started, "Have a good night,"

"You too," He answered, neither of them moved for a few awkward moments before he spoke again, "Are you walking home?"

"Yeah," She said, "I always do."

"It's dark," he pointed out the obvious, making her glance up at the stars.

"I know."

"How about I walk you?" He asked, "Or I have my car," Sean gestured to the black charger parked at the curb, "I could give you a ride."

"You're a stranger," She laughed, "Not getting in a car with you. "

"I don't look trustworthy?" He asked, holding his hands out with a smile.

"Nope," Katie replied, smiling as she slipped by him and began to walk away.

"Smart girl," He said, following behind her, "Gotta be weary of people-"

"But not you, right?" She asked over her shoulder.

"Heaven's no!" He stopped in his tracks, "There is one thing, though."

"What's that?" Katie asked, turning to look at him.

"You've got my number," Sean answered, "But I don't have yours and I just don't like things being that uneven, 'cause you know I'm gonna pace around all day tomorrow, waiting for you to call me and when you don't I'm gonna feel like I wasn't good enough," He joked, flirting with the baker.

"You'll just have to be patient," Katie said, "You already stood me up once-"

"Not my fault," Sean grinned, holding his hands up in a shrug, "I can make it up to you."

"How's that?"

"A date," he said confidently.

"You didn't even ask," Katie said, trying to hide her grin, but failing. Sean closed the distance between them, coming to stand in front of her.

"I know we just met and I stood you up to taste test a cake," Sean began, turning on his charm, "But would you possibly," he said, stepping a bit closer to her, "just maybe consider going on a date with me?"

"Walk me home," She smiled, "We'll see how it goes." Sean held his arm out for her, she slipped her hand into the crook of his elbow and they talked while he lead her home.