Anniversary

Anniversary

Hannah’s pillow was vibrating. She groaned in her sleep, yanking the phone out from underneath. She knew it was bad to sleep with a phone near you, and under any other circumstance she would never go to bed with a phone, but she and Jay had been up late texting each other and Hannah had fallen asleep with her phone in hand.

Still half asleep, Hannah opened up the conversation with Jay. There were three new texts:

ponies and unicorns

I suspect you’ve fallen asleep love. Goodnight. See you tomorrow

Good morning beautiful, c u in 10.

Hannah gasped. See you in ten? She had completely forgotten about the interview today. Not that she hadn’t expected to see Jay today. It was their one year anniversary, a whole year with Jay McGuiness. A perfect year.

She suspected that her boyfriend had invited her to this The Wanted interview so they could spend time together after, he must have something special planned, she mused while pulling on her favourite sweater.

It was the only explanation. He’d never invited her to an interview before and Hannah had never seen the benefit of going to one. All she would do was sit in the back of a room and watch some interviewer ask then questions. One question which would most certainly be, “Who’s single?” It was an inevitable question that the boys couldn’t avoid. Hannah didn’t know why it bothered her, but for some reason it seemed so personal, like the question was really, “Have you broken up with you girlfriend yet, Jay?” Instead of just a general question for the sake of the fans interest.

It was unusually cold outside and she decided to slip on one of Jay’s beanies that he’d left at her house last time he’d slept over. The beanie flattened her wild, wavy, brown hair that she hadn’t been bothered to brush out.

Satisfied with her appearance, she went downstairs to grab a banana then quickly brush her teeth before Jay arrived. He was five minutes late.

“Hey love,” he greeted, pulling her into an embrace and burrowing into her hair.

She giggled. “Jay, we’re going to be late.”

“Us? Late? Never!” He said and scooped her into his arms making her squeal.

He carried her to the car where the other four boys were waiting with amused grins on their faces.

“Hey Hannah,” Nathan said first, grinning.

“Hey,” she greeted all of them, smiling.

Soon Hannah was pulled into an animated conversation, for which she only needed to nod occasionally so Tom wouldn’t get offended.

Jay was silent next to her, playing with her hands and lifting them up to his lips to kiss occasionally.

Hannah smiled with delight, but something was on her mind. Jay hadn’t said anything about their anniversary. Hadn’t even mentioned it, and while Hannah hadn’t said anything either she still felt uneasy. Had he forgotten?

After all the trouble Jay had gone to, to secure Hannah as his girlfriend, you’d think he would at least remember they’re one year anniversary.

Hannah thought back to their first week as a couple. He’d gotten her roses for their one week anniversary. Hannah had thought it was ridiculous, no one celebrated a one week anniversary. What Hannah wouldn’t give for roses right now.

“Here we are.” They filed out of the car, with Jay tugging Hannah along. She was still deep in thought.

“What wrong love?” He asked, before they entered the building.

She shook her head. “Nothing.”

He smiled, and followed the others through the entrance. Hannah didn’t know why she didn’t say anything. What if Jay hadn’t forgotten, then she’d just look stupid for asking.

The interview went for two hours and involved a few embarrassing moments for Tom and Jay being forced to talk about Hannah. She sat at the back and watch calmly, smiling as Jay said wonderful things about her. No one mentioned that it was their anniversary.

Sighing, Hannah signed on to Twitter and checked out Jay’s profile. He hadn’t tweeted today, but #HappyAnniversaryJannah was trending worldwide. She smiled. had Jay seen this? His fans knew it was their anniversary, so why hadn’t he?

Jay called her over then. “You ready to go, love?”

She nodded. “Where are we going?”

“Well the lads and I were just going to go get a drink, but you can come if you’d like.”

Oh. Jay had other plans. Plans that Hannah wasn’t included in, unless she’d ‘like’. Her lips turned down sadly, but Jay didn’t notice, he was too distracted by something.

He doesn’t even want to be with me today, she despaired. “I think I’ll just go home actually.”

“Oh, okay then.” Was that disappointment lacing his voice? “I’ll call you a cab,” he smiled. No, it was not disappointment.

“Thanks,” she tried to smile.

Five minutes later Hannah was waiting on the sidewalk with Jay’s strong arms wrapped around her, protecting her from the cold. He was always such a gentleman, even when forgetting the most important day of their relationship.

“I’ll see you tomorrow, yeah?”

“Sure,” she nodded sadly. He’d forgotten, it was obvious now.

It should have only taken fifteen minutes to get to Hannah’s, no more than twenty. But she found herself being driving around endless for more than half an hour before she plucked up the courage to ask, “Do you know where you’re going?”

“Yes!” The cab driver barked with such force that she didn’t dare question him again.

Finally he pulled up in front of her house and she went to pay him, about to argue over the fair because he clearly hadn’t taken the shortest route.

“Already paid,” he grumbled.

Hannah rolled her eyes as she stepped out of the cab, vowing to never let a stranger drive her around ever again. Fishing her keys out of her handbag, Hannah rushed to the front door, excited to be getting out of the cold.

She quickly texted Jay: That cab driver should be fired.

Stepping through the front door, Hannah felt an unfamiliar soft crunch underneath her shoes. Looking down she saw a red rose. Two, three, four. There was a whole trail of them leading into the lounge room.

Removing her shoes, she bent down and picked up the roses, following the trail.

In the living room was a mountain of red roses, lining the windows, splattered over the couch, and a trail of them leading up to a picnic rug in the centre of the room where the coffee table should have been.

“What?”

“Happy anniversary,” Jay whispered, coming up behind her and wrapping his arms around her waist before resting his chin lightly on her shoulder.

“How?” She looked around the room. There was a vibration from her jeans pocket and pulling out her phone she opened the unread text from Jay:

I needed time to get your surprise ready ;)

She turned to him, taking his hands in both of hers and gazing into his eyes. He gazed back with love. “You didn’t forget?”

He chuckled. “You thought I had?”

“Well… I… You didn’t say anything…” she trailed off.

Shaking his head he said, “That’s because it was supposed to be a surprise love. Why else would I have invited you to that awful interview? I just needed you out of the house.”

That’s what Hannah had thought at first, but then…

“And then when you didn’t want to have drinks, I had think of some way to get all of this set up without you knowing.

“How could I ever forget that day that made me the happiest man alive?” He winked.

“Oh Jay!” Hannah rejoiced, throwing herself into his arms. he embraced her willingly, kissing her cheek, her jawline, her nose and finally her lips. Hannah couldn’t believe her, Jay was the perfect boyfriend in the history of the world, and he was all his.

They spent the rest of the afternoon on Hannah’s lounge room floor, rolling in roses and indulging in every sweet Jay had managed to get his hands on. It was the perfect anniversary, just the two of them, being crazy together.