Deadly Affairs

Deadly Affairs- Chapter 20/Alternative Ending

This is an alternative ending to Deadly Affairs it’ll be starting at the point in Chapter 15 where after Mike knocks Kellin unconscious and Vic tries to explain everything to him he let’s him leave then Vic wakes up the next morning and takes a shower, gets coffee while waiting for his brother Mike to come back over and while he’s waiting there’s a knock at the door.
____________________
I had just got out the shower and now I’m in the kitchen making a pot of coffee. I was feeling pretty good because Kellin had texted me last night saying he loved me. That wasn’t how I pictured us saying ‘I love you’ to each other for the first time but it still felt good. I went in my room and put on a button up shirt and a pair of skinnies then I went back in the kitchen, poured a cup of coffee and sat in the living room watching the news. Someone knocked at my door so I assumed it was Mike so I got up to answer the door.
“Hey.” Kellin said standing there looking exhausted.
“Hey, are you okay?” I asked concerned.
“Yeah, I’m just tired.” He said. I stepped back, opening the door wider so he could come in. He took off his jacket as we walked into the living room and placed it on the arm of the couch.
“You sure you’re okay?” I asked again still a little worried for him as I sat down on the couch. His face was a little pale and he had on the same clothes from yesterday.
“Can I ask you a question?” He asked standing in front of the coffee table.
“Yeah, sure.”
“I want you to be completely honest because if I think you’re lying for just a second I’m gonna walk out that door.” He pointed over at the front door.
“What is going on, Kelllin?” I asked confused.
“Alright so I have my demons, believe me I do. I mean it’s the whole reason I was up on that building that night when we met and so I know a few things about deep dark secrets. Every guy I’ve dated before you always has something wrong with him and I’ve been trying to figure out what it is with you but you’re like Mr. Perfect; so charming, witty, protective, dashing, absolutely amazing and I’m smitten by you but in my life nothing good happens to me, I never get the better hand so I’ve been wondering what’s wrong with you? So tell me.” He was pacing back and forth in front of me then stopped and looked at me waiting for an answer.
“I…uhh…what?” I was taken aback by his little rant and didn’t know what to think.
“You and your brother were ‘joking’ as you call it about killing but I thought about it and your boss is dead and you’ve been pretty okay with that. I know you guys weren’t close and didn’t like each other but still. I was up all night and I was thinking about all the questions that the Detectives asked me and I think they think you did it. Why else would you need an alibi?” He paused.
“So… I can’t believe I’m about to ask this but…did you? D-did you do it?” He hesitated.
“Kellin, really? You think I could do something like that?” I said faking a shocked tone.
“Alright that’s it, I’m leaving.” He began walking to the door and I quickly got up trying to stop him.
“Okay, wait. What do you want me to stay?” I asked grabbing his hands.
“The truth!” He turned around, pulling away from me.
“I thought we were okay after last night?” I said.
“How could we be okay when your brother knocked me out? Those aren’t actions of an innocent person.”
“My brother is weird and some of the things he does is for no logical reason at all you just-“ I was cut off by knocking at the door. I went over and looked out the peep hole to see my Mike standing there. I huffed and opened the door a little bit.
“You just had to come right now, didn’t you?” I said snippy.
“You’re the one that told me to come over in the morning.” He said pushing the door open fully. I backed up and he walked in then stopped when he saw Kellin.
“Hello…” He said awkwardly then glared at me. “You didn’t tell me that he was coming.” He whispered.
“I didn’t know he was coming.” I said while smiling so he wouldn’t be able to read what I was saying. We walked into the living room and Kellin looked at the both of us.
“So…what were you guys doing?” Mike asked sitting down on the couch.
“Nothing just talking.” I said sitting in the chair across from him.
“About what?” Mike asked. I rolled my eyes at him in frustration then he gave me a confused look not knowing what he did.
“You, actually. Kellin wanted to know why you knocked him out.” I said nonchalantly hoping that he would play it off like I was and say it was a stupid accident then apologize for being an idiot.
“Oh, uh…” Mike’s eyes were wide and he looked dumbfounded. “Well maybe you could answer that since I was helping you out.”
“Helping me?! I didn’t tell you to attack him, you did that on impulse!”
“Oh and I wonder who I learned that from.” He said cheekily. I clenched my jaw and just stared at him. My focus was taken off from him when I heard a clearing of a throat in the background. I turned my head and that’s when I remembered that Kellin was still here. Sometimes Mike and I can go at like we’re still little kids fighting over a toy and not even notice anything else because we’re caught up in the moment.
“Sorry he just gets heated sometimes.” I said.
“I don’t get heated. I wouldn’t even be down here if it wasn’t for you not knowing how to control yourself and when to walk away so if anyone has a temper problem it’s you. I have many accounts I can recollect to back that up.” Mike said still having this pissed tone in his voice.
“What is your problem?” I asked frustrated and getting upset because he was still acting like this in front of Kellin.
“I told you to take care of this last night and now look. I’m not going down for you, I’ll cover for you because you’re my brother but I will not go down with you. I have a life, a girlfriend, a job and yet I still have to save your ass when you decide you want to let off some steam. How about you be normal and join a gym to punch stuff if you’re pissed at someone not kill them!” His jaw dropped after he realized what he had said and I was literally frozen. Not one muscle in my body would move, I couldn’t even get my eyes to glance over at Kellin. It felt like time was standing still but at the same time my heart was pumping erratically and my body was starting to heat up because I didn’t know what was going to happen next.
“I…uh…-“
“Shut up.” I quickly said cutting Mike off. I didn’t move any part of my body except my mouth. Out the corner my eye I saw Kellin getting up slowly then he tried to walk to the door but only got a few steps before Mike got up and stepped in his way.
“Hey!” I said getting up and pushing Mike back away from Kellin. “Don’t touch him.”
Mike looked at me shocked but I just stood my ground in front of Kellin protecting him. As Mike and I had the staring showdown Kellin stepped around us and began slowly walking towards the door. Once I realized what he was actually doing I stopped staring at Mike then went to follow behind him.
“Kellin stop.” I said as he opened the door but he didn’t listen, he walked straight out the door and I pulled the door open as he tried to close it. “Kellin please.” I begged grabbing his arm trying to stop. He had this look of fear in his eyes then he glanced down at my hand on his arm. I let him go immediately. I never wanted him to be scared of me but now he is.
“I can handle crazy, I really can because I’m a little crazy but this is on a total different level. This isn’t crazy, this is absurd. Just please let me leave.” His pupils were shaking and it looked like he wanted to run. I took a step back, leaning against the door and put my head down as he slowly backed up and walked away.
I went back inside after standing outside by myself for a couple minutes. As soon as I got back inside Mike was standing there staring at me.
“Where is he?”
“He left.” I said.
“You let him go?!” He raised his voice. “You’re gonna get us both in trouble, do you care about me?!”
“He’s not going to say anything!” I said walking pass him into the living room.
“How do you know? He could be on his way to the police station right now to turn you in, ultimately turning me in as well.” He paced in front of me.
“I know him, I trust him, and I love him so when I say he won’t tell know that he won’t tell. I don’t know how I know but I feel it, I-I just feel it.” I started getting choked up as I ended the sentence. It was unlike me to not question people or to trust them so it was scaring me that I was relying on Kellin to actually love me and not betray me. I was relying on Kellin to stand by me.
“Oh great, I’m putting my life on the line because you have a ‘feeling’.”
“You need to go now.” I said shaking off the feeling. He stood there for a second then turned around and left. I huffed and got up, heading to the kitchen so I could get a glass of water. As I reached for a cup and filled it up with water from the sink someone knocked at the door. I rolled my eyes and walked to the door.
“Mike, I told you to-“ I stopped mid-sentence when I saw it was the detectives knocking at my door. “Oh detectives what are you doing here?”
“We came to ask a few follow up questions.” Detective Hotch said.
“Well right now isn’t really a good time so maybe another day.” I said giving a slight smile trying to act normal.
“It’ll just take a few minutes.” Detective Walker said stepping forward like she was insisting and wasn’t going to take no for an answer. I looked at the both of them then sighed.
“Alright fine.” I said opening my door fully to let them in.
“So what do you need to ask me?” I asked as I sat in the chair and they sat on the couch across from me.
“We just wanted to know about a bag.” Detective Hotch said.
“A bag?” I asked confused.
“A security guard said you brought a bag back with you when you came back to the office, you didn’t say anything about a bag the last time we talked to you.” Hotch said.
“I came back with a bag because I had the files I told you about in the bag.” I said.
“What does the bag look like?” Detective Walker asked.
“It’s a black duffle bag.”
“Do you mind going to get it?” She asked. I got up and walked back to my bedroom and closed the door slightly so I could go in my closet and get the bag. It was with the rest of my tools so I didn’t want to risk them maybe roaming around my house and seeing my closet full of tools. I grabbed the bag and began walking back to the living room. I stopped right before I got to the end of the hall and I heard them talking.
“Hopefully the bag will have some type of evidence or blood on it and we can charge him because you’ve been making me follow him around with you and my wife isn’t so happy about me staying at work late.” I heard Detective Hotch say.
“Look, I just know that he’s the one, I feel it. He’s got something to do with this. His coworkers said they both were at each other’s throats and didn’t like each other so he’s hiding something. We just have to keep following him around and keep pressing on the security guard, his boyfriend and coworkers until we find something. ” Detective Walker said.
“Well either way I can’t follow him today my in laws are coming in to town and my wife will kill me if I miss it so no stakeout tonight.” Hotch said. I quickly went back in my room and put the bag on my bed then went to the living room.
“Sorry, I couldn’t find it. I must’ve thrown it somewhere. If I find it I’ll give you a call.” I headed over to the front door and opened it waiting for them to get the hint.
“Okay, well, have a good day.” Detective Hotch said as they got up and walked over to the door. Once they left I closed the door and went into panic mode. I looked out the window and watched them leave then went back to my room. I went to the floor vent in the corner of my room and pulled up the cover, exposing a small plastic bag that was down in the vent. Picking it up I threw it on my bed and then went to my dresser drawers so I could get some clothes together. I tossed them onto my bed, one after the other, not looking back to see if they were landing all the way on the bed. I went to my night stand and opened it, I saw my passport. I paused for a second and tried to calm myself so I could actually think this through. I don’t know what I’m planning exactly I just have the need to run or restart so I can relax because today has been too much and it’s not even noon yet.
I got the passport and put it with the rest of my stuff then got that black duffel bag and put everything inside except the plastic bag and passport. It was pretty stuffed but I managed to make it all fit. I ripped the plastic bag open and took out the money that was inside, it was about 5000 dollars. I picked up the bag and walked into the living room then sat down on the couch letting out a big sigh. I had two options; 1. I could take this money and leave because if they press Kellin and try to get more information out of him he could break and tell them what he knows or 2. I could stay here and trust my heart because my heart is telling me that Kellin won’t say anything. If I stay I’m risking my freedom and my brother’s freedom for a guy. I’m putting my faith in him and trusting him. This is a big decision, a life changing decision that I have to make and I have to make it by myself. These types of situations always make me wish that I had chosen a different hobby.
_____________________________________
Standing in the airport I had already bought my ticket so I can leave for Argentina. I sat down and waited for my flight to board, a little antsy because I couldn’t believe I was actually going through with this. I looked down at my watch and I only had 30 minutes left before my flight would be ready to take off. I looked around the airport and watched all the people pass me heading to board their planes. The speaker came on and a woman began talking.
“Flight 1065 to Argentina is ready for boarding.” She said then the PA speaker turned off. I looked around the airport one more then down at my watch and sighed. I began walking to my plane so I could stand in line with the rest of people waiting. Once I got there I stood behind a woman and her child then gave a slight smile to them. The line was moving very slow and people were getting agitated. I didn’t really understand why, it’s not like the plane is going to leave with no one on it.
I was getting pretty close to the entrance when I started to hear a commotion in the back. I turned around to see what was going on but I just heard people arguing and looking upset. That’s when I saw someone pushing pass people so they could get through.
“Him! That guy right there! I’m with him.” I saw Kellin say pointing at me. I was shocked to see him; I didn’t actually think he would come.
___________________________
2 hours earlier
“Hey Kellin, it’s me Vic. Look I have to go, I have to leave town and…I don’t know. I love you and I want to be with you and I know that what you heard probably scared you away but if you love me too then please just come with me. Please just leave with me because I can’t stay but I can’t leave you. I can’t walk away and not follow through because I never follow through and I never trust but I want to with you so I’m giving you all the power. That’s also something I never do so the ball is in your court. If you decide you want to come with me I’ll be at the airport and I’ll have a ticket waiting for you, already paid for, flight 1065. I’ll be waiting for you so just please show up, please.”
_______________________________
“I wasn’t trying to cut I was just trying to get to my boyfriend.” Kellin said in a hostile manner as he pulled his bag away from a guy who was trying to hold him back. He rolled his eyes then continued to walk towards me.
“Hey.” He said giving a small smile.
“Hey.” I said still a little shocked. “You came.”
“Of course I came, I love you.” He grabbed my hand.
“Um…excuse me but are you two boarding?” The lady at the desk asked.
“Yes we are.” I said pulling out the tickets and handing them to her. As we got on the plane and sat down in our seats we both looked at each other.
“I don’t trust you, but I want to so I don’t know how the fuck you are gonna make this up to me but you better because I’m not walking away. I always walk away too but I can’t walk away from you, I love you too much.”
“Alright passengers we are getting ready to take off. We have a smooth flight ahead of us today so just buckle up and stay seated until we say you can take off your seatbelts.” The pilot said, stopping Kellin from talking. Kellin looked down and buckled up and I did the same thing.
“I’m gonna make this up to you. I don’t care what I have to do or how long it takes. I want you trust me again.” I whispered because everyone was settling down so it was getting pretty quiet. He smiled at me but I could tell it was a fake smile. I leaned in and gave him a long deep kiss. After I broke the kiss I put my forehead on his forehead and my nose against his nose and stared at him. “I promise.”
Once I let go and situated myself in my seat I noticed the man in the aisle next to us wouldn’t stop looking our direction.
“What? You gotta problem with gay people? We’re on our honeymoon so fuck off before I kick your ass.” I said aggressively. The man’s eyes widened like he was scared. “Turn around and face forward before I make you.” Once the man stopped staring I looked over at Kellin and he chuckled in amusement. I smiled at him then kissed his cheek.
“Did I mention I have a little temper?” I joked.
“Whatever, just don’t kill anyone and we won’t have a problem.” He said quietly and smirked.
“Joking about that already?” I said a little shocked but still smiling.
“Believe me, that’s the only thing I can do since I have murderer on my hands.” He said cheekily. I shoved him lightly while laughing a little. “It’s true. You are so lucky I’m in love with you because any sane person would be gone.”
“Well I guess I’m lucky that you aren’t sane then.” We laughed then began to get a little quiet but kept smiling.
“Oh and by the way I’m in love with you too.” I leaned in and whispered as the plane took off. He didn’t say anything his smile just got bigger and his cheeks began to get flushed. I put my hand on his leg then he rested his head on my shoulder and we both closed our eyes as we got ready for this long journey ahead of us.