Horns Sound

Sleepover

People mingled in small groups through out the entire room. Madeline gripped Brandon's arm tightly as they walked through the open doors.

“Saad!!” A voice boomed from behind. Her eyes went wide and she looked frantically around. The mystery person put a hand on each of their shoulders which made them both jolt back. Simultaneously they turned, only to be greeted by Andrew Shaw. The two men did the classic “bro-hug” before Andrew turned to Madeline. “Mads...” His arms were open and she joyfully accepted his hug.

“It's so good to see you!” She beamed as she exited his embrace.

“I know, it's been a while. Man-Child here has been keeping you all to himself.” Andrew teased.

“You hit the nail on the head, Brandon actually locks me in a cupboard underneath the stairs, like that Harry Potter kid.” Madeline smirked as she watched Brandon's reaction from the corner of her eye. He leaned down to put his lips to her temple.

“Damn it, Madeline, I told you not to tell anyone!” He chuckled.

Andrew laughed before he shrugged and sighed “I'll let you guys go.”

“Are you by yourself?” She questioned.

“Yeah.” He responded.

“Chaunette okay?” Brandon's brow furrowed with concern.

“Yeah, her friend just went through a bad breakup and needs her, or whatever. Girl shit.” Brandon nodded his head.

“Sit with us later okay?” Madeline called.

“Of course.” Andrew winked and practically tackled another teammate, whose face Madeline couldn't quite make out.

“One down.” Brandon muttered.

“Shawzy doesn't count and you know it. We've known each other since— since I told you.”

***
Madeline came running out of her room, Brandon hot on her heels. “Take it back.” He growled as he stalked her from the opposite side of the couch.

“No, that mullet was the worst decision you ever made!!” She jumped onto the couch cushion, gracefully hopped over the back and slid half way across the floor toward the bathroom before a strong set of arms wrapped themselves around her waste and lifted her a few inches off the ground.

“Take it back...” He whispered sinfully into her ear.

“Make me.” She purred. Brandon let her slide through his grasp until her feet were on the floor. Her plain black v-neck rode up several inches, and exposed the milky white skin of her midriff. His arms felt warm flesh, and his hands went to work, casually making their way up her abdomen, until this thumb was tracing the skin just below the underwire of her bra; while his lips worked diligently against the base of her neck. Every so often the beginning of the beard that was developing on his face would scratch her skin, and elicit a barely audible moan.

The door buzzer went off, and they froze before Brandon took initiative and went to the hit the button to let their guest up. Madeline quickly threw her hair into a pony tail and adjusted her shirt. A knock came at the door and Brandon opened it to let their guest in and kicked it shut as he greeted his friend. “Shawzy!”

“Howdy ho motherfu--” Andrew stopped mid-sentence as he realized Madeline was in the room. “Brandon,” he corrected himself, “Madeline.”

“Hi.” She whispered meekly as Andrew walked toward her.

“It's nice to finally meet you.” He held out his hand for her to shake.

“You too.” Her voice cracked, she cleared her throat and tremulously shook his hand. Brandon walked from his friend, to his girlfriend and put a reassuring arm around her shoulder.

“Now I know why Saader hasn't been up for post-game celebrations. He went and got himself a beautiful girlfriend. Why have you been hiding her, bro? She needs to be seen.” Madeline smiled and stared at her red and white polka dot Keds.

“I'm going to check on Evan.” Her eyes didn't waver from her shoes as she slipped out from Brandon's arm and walked off toward the guest room. She opened the door and her dog's ears perked up but he didn't budge from his spot on the bed, so she went to him. With her legs folded underneath her, she placed Evan's head in her lap and stroked the space between his ears. She could hear the boys talking, but the actual words weren't recognizable.
~~~
“Did I say something wrong?” Shaw whispered as he followed Brandon into the kitchen.

“Kind of, yeah, actually dude you did. What the fuck was with the 'she needs to be seen'? I told you she wasn't--she's not good with shit like that.” His voice was low, but firm.

“Fuck, how was I suppose to know?” Shaw's hands slapped the counter.

“You've got to be fucking kidding me. If you said that in front of any girl they'd be freaked out. I also told you to tone yourself down like fifty notches before you came.” He threw a bottle of water at his friend who caught it mid air.

“I'm sorry, alright? Shit happens.”

“Just don't let it happen again. I'll be back in a few.” Brandon padded over to the guest room and knocked gently.
~~~
“Mads,” Brandon cooed from the other side of the door, “can I come in?” His hand rested on the door knob. A muffled 'yes' was all he got. He opened the door, and saw a glum looking girl with an oversized dog in her lap. “Evan, can you give us a minute?” The dog jumped from the bed and waited for Brandon to open the door to let him out.

His claws scraped across the hardwood in his exit and Andrew's calls for help went ignored as Brandon approached the bed. “Mads.” She remained silent, and avoided his stare by fiddling with her fingers. “Shawzy's a little shit, you'll learn to ignore most of what he says.” Brandon's comment was less than reassuring.

“How was I suppose to respond to what he said?” She stopped playing with her hands when she started talking.

“In an equally awkward way. Just make him more uncomfortable than you are.” Brandon sat down and put a hand on her knee and she slowly raised her head until they made eye contact. He could tell her mischievous mind had devised a plan.

“I'm drawing a blank on the uncomfortable thing, like I have an idea, but it would make no sense conversationally to say without some sort of transition.”

“That's perfect, say it and go grab something from the fridge.”

“You're sure this will work?” She questioned as she wiped her sweaty palms against her jeans.

“Yeah. Let's do this.” They both got up and heard Shaw screaming their names frantically. When they rushed out of the room to help, they found Evan sitting innocently on his haunches staring at Andrew.

“Guys... call him off, or something.” Madeline giggled and watched Brandon point behind them.

“Evan, out...” He commanded, the dog's head jerked to the side and complied. Evan trotted harmlessly back to his bed, and left the adults to mull things over.

“Thanks,” Shaw mumbled, “Madeline, I'm sorry about what I said earlier, I was out of line--” She stopped him.

“It's all good,” her confidence had increased ten-fold, “really.”

“But if you ever say anything like that again, I will put you in a box and express ship you to the Amazon.” Brandon added, a smile tugged at his lips.

“Oh, and I almost forgot to tell you,” Madeline looked over at Brandon to signal that this was the moment, “teenage girls write gay porn about you and Brandon Bollig.” Andrew's eyes went wide as she casually walked over to the fridge and grabbed a water.

“What?” Was the only coherent thing able to come from his mouth. Brandon was in hysterics, but managed to repeat to Shaw what Madeline had said.

“Teenage girls write gay porn,” he paused to collect himself, “about you and Bollig.” Andrew eyed his friend, and connected the dots.

“He told you to say that, didn't he?” He questioned.

“Not exactly, I was simply advised to make you as uncomfortable as you made me, and it worked pretty damn well.”
Shaw's once sour expression turned into a wide grin and he nodded his head in approval.

“I see a wonderful friendship in our future, Madeline.” Brandon watched the two cautiously.

“You sound like you belong in a shitty romcom right now.” She retorted.

“The movie starts in fifteen minutes we should go.” Brandon broke up whatever was happening between Shawzy and Madeline.
***
“He might not count, Mads, but you can relax a little bit knowing you've got some one else here to help.”

“You're right. I've got this.” Coach Q spotted them from across the room, and began walking toward them.

“We've got this.” He said as he took her hand.

They meet every one of Brandon's teammates and their dates before sitting down to dinner. The dining hall had massive twelve seat tables with no particular seating arrangement set, it was a free for all. Familiar faces surrounded their table. Shaw sat on Madeline's left while Brandon was on her right. Toews, Kaner, Bollig, Leddy and their guests took the remaining seats. Kaner had met Madeline a few days after Shawzy and had taken to teasing her mercilessly. Not anything mean, that would hurt her, mainly he teased her about sex and her height. Tonight he went for the height jokes.

“Mads,” he started as he sat down, “I thought we said no on the heels.”

“Just because it makes you insecure that a girl is taller than you, doesn't mean I'm going to take your fashion advice, sweetie.” All the guys hooted and hollered.

“Shit, Kaner, she got you.” Toews chimed as he stared intently at Madeline. Both Kane and Toews' girlfriends looked at her with dagger eyes. She took note, and made sure to keep relatively quiet for the rest of the night. At the end of the night hugs were exchanged and insincere we-need-to-get-together-again's were said. And Brandon took Madeline back to her place.

When they walked in Evan's snoring could be heard through the entire apartment, and they laughed. “That went better than I thought it would.” She sighed.

“It did go well, didn't it?” Brandon's arms were around her waist and his head was resting on her shoulder. He could feel her hum 'mmmhmm.'

“It's late,” she turned around in his grasp and put a hand to his face, “I should go to bed.” Madeline started to lean in for a kiss, but he stopped her.

“Actually, I had a question.”

“About?” She took a few steps back and Brandon's hands fell.

“Sleeping.” His eyes were innocent.

“Brandon, we've been over this. I'm Catholic, we wait until marriage.”

“Not sex, Mads, sleeping. Together, in the same bed. Just sleeping.” He tried to close the gap between them, but Madeline took a step back with every step he took forward. She stood motionless, contemplating what Brandon had suggested, for what seemed like hours. Madeline quickly walked to the bathroom with Brandon following her like a puppy. She dug around underneath the sink, pulled out a red and white plastic wrapped package and threw it at him.

“You're going to want to brush your teeth, I'm going to change and see if I have clothes that would fit you.” Without another word she slipped past Brandon, and went into her room to search for the clothes of his she knew she still had. Madeline came back with a familiar pair of black basketball shorts and a grey sweatshirt. “I never did get around to giving these back, but I'm pretty sure you still have some of my clothes.”

“Keep the sweatshirt.” He peeled the shorts off of the stack of clothes and handed her the hoodie. “I'll be out in a few.” And the bathroom door clicked closed as Madeline ran across the hallway and slammed the door behind her to find the best looking pajama's she owned.

“Shitshitshit.” She mumbled as she tore through her drawers with frustration. A white t-shirt made it's way into her hands along with a pair of pink plaid sleep shorts. Brandon knocked on the door.

“Mads?” Madeline finally kicked off her heels and padded barefoot over to the door, she opened it. The sight of Brandon shirtless standing in front of her bedroom door asking to be let in took her breath away.

“I'll be right back.” A bright red blush crept over her cheeks and ears as she went into the bathroom. She changed, washed her face, brushed her teeth, took out her contacts, her normal bedtime routine. But as Madeline reach for the door knob, she froze with the knowledge of who was waiting for her. It wasn't Evan, the only roommate she'd really ever had. It was Brandon Saad, left winger for the Chicago Blackhawks, the man who she loved, the only person who knew about her social anxiety. This rush of realization had Madeline on the verge of fainting, she slapped her face in the vanity mirror twice. “I've got this. We're just sleeping. It's going to be fine.” She opened the door and saw that Brandon had left the door to her room open, and he was perched on the corner of Madeline's champagne comforter. She made her way back to the bedroom and his head shot up when he heard the door close. Nervously she approached the bed, and started throwing the extra pillows on the ground, Brandon did the same on his side of the bed. Together they pulled the comforter back, but he paused before getting into bed.

“Is there a certain side you like to sleep on?”

“No, I'm not that persnickety.” Her voice was small as she dove under the covers, he mimicked her and slowly made his way over to Madeline underneath the blankets.

“Goodnight.” He whispered, propped precariously on his elbow.

“Goodnight.” She murmured and flicked the light switch next to the night stand. Brandon didn't move from the position he had been in, so Madeline turned the lights back on. “Lay down, weirdo. You look horribly uncomfortable.”

“Will you actually come near me if I do?” He watched her shake her head.

“Lay on your back.” Brandon complied and Madeline switched the lights off, again. She squirmed to him and put her head on his chest and rested her arm across his abdomen. He draped his arm around her. Within minutes Brandon's breaths slowed. Madeline's eyes eventually closed hours later.

Bright sun streaming through the open curtain's of Madeline's bedroom window woke them both up. Neither had moved since the night before. Brandon rubbed her back and whispered her name. “Mads, you awake?” He got a muffled grumble and he took that as a yes. His fingers gently pushed the stray hairs from her face and traced the outline of her closed eyelids. “I love you.” Soft lips pressed against her forehead, and her nose, and her lips and made a pit stop at her neck.

“I love you too, can we go back to sleep?” She babbled groggily.

“Absolutely not.” Brandon threw the covers back and picked her up fireman style.

“You're such an ass.” Madeline's eyes had yet to open as he carried her to the kitchen and set her down at the table.

“Don't say things like that to the person making you breakfast!” He said scavenging through her fridge and pantry. He ended up cooking scrambled eggs and toast, but Madeline had fallen asleep at the table, and he didn't have the heart to wake her, so he ate the entire mess of food by himself. Evan trotted out from his room and greeted his friend. They sat together on the couch watching Saturday morning cartoons while Madeline snored softly in the recliner Brandon had moved her to.

At eleven, she finally woke up, confused and disoriented. “Morning babe.” Brandon smiled smugly from the couch. She rubbed her eyes and cracked her back.

“Shit!” She exclaimed.

“What?”

“I didn't get to wake up next to that beautiful face of yours.” Her hand went to the small table on her right as she groped for her glasses. Awkwardly she slipped them onto her face and watched her boyfriend watch her.
“Then I guess we'll have to do that again.” His eyes lit up with the possibility in front of him.

“I guess we will...” Madeline glided over to the couch and nestled into Brandon's side before placing kisses over every inch of his bare chest. “Yeah, you're definitely sleeping over again.”
♠ ♠ ♠
It's currently 5:00am. I kept getting distracted and only writing a few paragraphs, but this is super long so that kind of makes up for the fact that it took so long to update. Also Gone With the Wind set me back like four hours. I'm going to try and update a little more frequently.