Status: Updates on Sundays

Why Don't You Just Drop Dead?

Heaven Help us

I wanted so badly to scream at them. To demand they let me out and leave my friends alone. They had no issue with slaughtering innocent people, though, and that’s what kept me from trying to break down the door to the room they’d locked me in. Instead, I slipped into the provided dress and tried to sit still while I waited for them to come back and announce the deaths they’d tallied for the night.

It was just a game to them, and it made me sick.

“Winona.” It was Mikey, this time, standing in the room holding a glass of strawberry milk. I took it gratefully. “I’m sorry, princess, but the hunters got away. Their telekinetic brat got his second wind and we lost sight of them.”

“Don’t call me that,” I said for the second time. “You have no right.”

“Oh?” I glared at him. As long as I didn’t directly disobey orders, I was no more threatening to them than a doll locked in a case. “Oh,” he said again. “I see. I’ll tell Gerard to kill him first.” I dropped the glass and the pink fluid spilled across the floor.

“Mikey!”I pleaded. “You don’t have to kill any of them, I’m alright, see? That part of the plan still holds. William just wants to lock them up. He promised me.”

Mikey laughed.

“He promised me! He’d take Pete because he’s a vampire, and the humans to keep him happy. No one dies.”

“Relax. You won’t even know that it happened. Now come on, we need blood to recover.”

“You can get it from somewhere else, because there’s no way in hell I’m letting you take it from me,” I snapped. It was Mikey’s turn to glare. One hand caught my wrist and the other tangled itself in my hair, forcing me through the doorway and to a room I’d never seen before. Its set up was familiar, though. There was the dentist chair, with the straps and buckles, and the tray with the needles and tubing. William had one like it that I’d stumbled upon when I was almost seven years old.

His was clean and sterile looking. To put it simply, this was not.

Faded stains covered every surface and I tried to wriggle out of Mikey’s grip as he pushed me down into the chair.

“I was going to be nice, and give you the sedative since I know how much you hate needles. Drop the brat act or we’ll beat it out of you.”

I was sure my screams would force William to come and save me, or at least make them be gentler, but I suffered alone.