Status: Updates on Sundays

Why Don't You Just Drop Dead?

The World is Ugly

“No! Just leave me alone!” I demanded, trying to hide some of the panic in my voice. I’d been cornered again by Mikey and Frank, no doubt looking for more blood. Three separate puncture marks bruised my arms already and I’d been given nothing to recover with. The dress they’d given me was frayed terribly and torn at the sleeves from my repeated attempts to escape.

“Oh, Winona, you’re not scared of us, are you?” Frank teased maliciously, “Ray’s got a nice surprise for you right outside.”

“What of Gerard?” I asked, knowing they’d drag me out soon. “Haven’t heard anything about him for a while.”

“Hunting. Your blood is just for desert. Now come on, you know it’s not good to keep Ray waiting.”

I gave up on trying to remain calm for the other people that could be hurt. As much as I could, I struggled away from them, especially as they drew nearer to Ray, who was adjusting a wire on an unfamiliar contraption.

“This, princess, is electric shock therapy. We think it might force more of those visions.”

“How do you know about those?” I snapped, trying desperately to remain standing as Ray helped them push me onto the cot. A strap was place across my forehead, along with my ankles and wrists. “William keeps me out of sight when those come over me.” Usually this meant Brendon hurriedly teleported me to my room and kept me from biting my own tongue off.

“We know everything. Bite this, so you don’t shatter your teeth,” Ray commanded calmly, putting something vaguely cylindrically shaped in front of my mouth. It tasted like gauze and leather.

Surely, I thought. Surely William will interfere now, before they actually manage to kill me.

More screaming, through clenched teeth. It reverberated off the open hallway walls, and I flinched back involuntarily.

There was William, cowering in his own corner, stripped of his power and alone. So that’s why he hadn’t interfered. Gerard was there, looking more terrifying than ever, covered in blood similar to my own(which had always been a shade or two darker than the typical, non Seer human) but more opalescent. I could only guess it belonged to William.

“Winona?!” The voice snapped me out of the trance temporarily, but the continued electricity to my brain kept me from fully being aware of anything.

“Winona, just hold on,” Oliver said, brushing the hair out of my face as the hunters lured the Jersey vampires into an adjacent hallway. “This thing’s got like a million switches and I don’t want to fry your brain, so just give me a second to figure this out.”