Status: Updates on Sundays

Why Don't You Just Drop Dead?

Reinventing the Wheel to run Myself Over

“Oliver?” I groaned, rolling onto my side. It felt like I’d gotten stuck in a washing machine during the spin cycle. “Pat? Joe?”

“Winnie.” My focus snapped onto Brendon who was looking pretty beat up himself. He managed to get William to put an arm around his shoulder, but Brendon was still supporting them both. “Winnie, I need to get William out and then I’ll come get you.”

“But what about-” He was gone before I could ask him about the hunters and the Jersey vamps.

The sounds of fighting encouraged me to peel myself off the floor and go looking for the source.

“Ray!” Aside from Gerard, he was probably one of the most powerful. Mikey and Frank were still too young and bloodthirsty. The two older could handle themselves better around blood and therefore were much more accurate killers. Ray faltered for a second, glancing quickly in my direction before completely ignoring me and going back to trying to rip Oliver to shreds.

I huffed. Admittedly, I didn’t know the first thing about fighting. This didn’t stop me from launching myself at Gerard’s back (he was shorter than Ray by half a foot at least and therefore easier to grab onto) and pulling at his hair.

“Winona, get the hell out of here!” Andy rasped, trying to collect the weapons that were spilled across the floor. I ignored the request and managed to distract Gerard, to an extent.

“Wait your turn,” Frank snapped, grinding the heel of an expensive Italian shoe into his hand. Andy recoiled quickly.

Oliver had taken several of the abandoned elements and had them raised in front of him, pushing the vampires back as Pete worked on bending metal from beds and machinery to form a sort of barrier across the doorway through which I could see an unconscious Joe and a panicking Patrick.

“Winona, darling, I highly suggest you remove yourself from me now or else we’re going to lock you in the padded cell for the rest of your meager life,” Gerard said, struggling to keep his voice even as Oliver thrust a chair into his stomach, knocking us both backwards.

In the process, Gerard managed to shake me off, going at Oliver with an air of revenge and punishment. I looked around wildly before finally finding one of the silver knives Andy had been trying so hard to obtain.

In one movement, I grabbed the knife and slit open the palm of my hand, raising the wound like a beacon.

“Pete, get them out of here.” My voice sounded different. It was relaxed even though my hand stung. “Your real issue is with me, not them.”