Status: Updates on Sundays

Why Don't You Just Drop Dead?

Our Lawyer Made us Change the Name of This Song so we Wouldn't get Sued

I knew from Patrick’s awkward, uncomfortable stance that William was most likely close by.

“We’re not going to kill him, not unless it’s absolutely necessary. Once the interrogation’s done you can go and talk to him for a little while.” This confirmed my theory, and I cringed outwardly when I heard the familiar hiss of cursed skin being doused with holy water.

“He’s probably not doing well,” I said, remembering how weak he’d been when Brendon first teleported him out. “You’re going to need to let me in there so he can take some blood and recover before you push too far and he just drops.”

“We’ll give him one of Pete’s shakes, but right now I think we need to talk about you.”

“Patrick, you’re not my mother. I have a very pleasant life planned out ahead of me, and I really don’t want to see you or any of the other hunters mounted above the fireplace. Please, just let me deal with my family and I promise I’ll try and keep them away from you.”

“Winona?” I pushed past Patrick and through the door when I heard William croak my name. Angry tears stung at my eyes and I demanded the hunters leave. “Winnie, it’s alright. Don’t let them think they’ve won, dearest.”

“Here,” I offered, holding out my arm. He reacted how I knew he would- accepting it with an air of humility and desperation and carefully piercing just above my wrist. “We need to go. I want to go home. I don’t want Gerard to find us and I don’t want you to kill the hunters. Can’t we please just go somewhere safe?”

“You’re looking thin,” he replied instead of answering me. “We’ve come to an… agreement. There are some ludicrous terms coming from the blonde boy especially, but there are battles in life that we all must fight.”

“Like what?” I was still tearing, but refused the stiff embrace from William.

“They want you to stay here. Well, not here specifically,” he sniffed, appraising the fading room. “but with them. And for whatever reason, of all things, cookies.”

I almost smiled in spite of it.