Status: Updates on Sundays

Why Don't You Just Drop Dead?

XO

“Is Pete doing alright? I heard the blender go again.” I wasn’t entirely used to making small talk, so it was awkward sounding. Oliver hadn’t locked the door behind himself, so I found him in the kitchen.

“He’ll be fine. He’s just got to get used to you.”

“So I’m staying?” I asked, trying not to sound defeated. I didn’t want them to actually get attached to me. It would only make people sad when I joined the Dandies again. I figured I’d just observe quietly and go home, ending my connection to them.

“Sure, ‘course you are. At least until Patrick’s done with his research, anyway. Who knows? Maybe you’ll even want to stay. I’m sure we’re a hell of a lot easier on the eyes than the vamps you’re used to.”

“Do you mind if I bake?” There were several plastic grocery bags on the counter. Oliver shifted over, which I took as a no. I kept talking as I worked, trying to erase all of the negative things I’d yelled to the hunters. William wanted me to gain their trust, so I started spewing things about myself.

“So were you always with the Dandies?” Oliver asked, reaching into the mixing bowl and eating the cookie dough off his fingers. “Or did they take you from somewhere?”

“I was born in that mansion.” Not something I’d been prepared to answer, though I knew the story. “They were out hunting. William only eats at the mansion so he brought home a girl. She was pregnant with me at that point, so he kept her around until I was born, and then drained her. Could you put these in the oven?” I asked, shoving the tray at him.

“Nice segue, princess, but sure.” Again, he didn’t bother with his physical being, but used his telekinetic powers to move the tray into the oven. “And what’s up with all the staring into space?”

“Practicing. It strengthens my Sight. Don’t you need to stretch your powers too?”

“I’m lazy as shit. All I do is stretch my powers.”

“Oliver?” I asked, already preparing myself to smack him for whatever rude comment he could make. “Do you have any clothes I can change into?”