Just Us

Decided

"Michael, you have to leave!" It was Anne's sister rushing in and placing a bouquet of flowers on the table next to Anne's bed. She grasped my forearm and began dragging me to the door.
"Wait, why do I have to leave? " I asked confused. She turned to me then peered out into the hallway.
"My father is coming. He sure as hell won't want to see you here after what happened last time." She mumbbled soft enough that Anne couldn't hear. I nodded in agreement and ran to Anne.
"What's going on?" She asked with a hint of sadness apparent in her voice. I grazed her cheek with my hand and kissed her forhead.
"Oh, nothing. I have to go, but I'll come and see you soon. Okay?" She nodded and I literally ran down to corridoor and out to my car. I sat in the drivers seat and tried to catch my breath. I sighed and wished I had been able to stay longer with Anne.
I started up the engine and drove home to Neverland.

As I sat on the couch later than evening I wondered so many things, "Will Anne's father ever let her be happy? Can I make Anne happy?" I began to think that I was the cause of Anne's misery. Ever since she had met me she had been in the hospital twice and her father had practically disowned her.
"Anne deserves better than this." I whispered to myself. At that moment I made up my mind.