Status: In progress.

Chemistry is Kerosene

3.

"Shit, shit, shit..." Dylan squealed when she found a creepy, crawly, ugly spider crawling around the sink in her hotel room bathroom.

For years Dylan suffered from chronic and severe arachnophobia. Just the mere mention of the word spider was enough to send Dylan for a loop. She was aware that some times she was a bit over dramatic, but she couldn't help it. Spiders freaked her out.

In a rush, Dylan left the bathroom, pulling the door closed behind her, hoping that she could contain the beast to one room.

She grabbed her phone and opened her contacts, scrolling to the name of the first person she thought would help her with the spider situation and the person who was one of the the biggest reasons behind it.

Jack? Are you awake?

She sighed, glaring at the bathroom door as she sent the text message. A few minutes later, her phone binged with a new message received.

Jack is drunk and about to pass out.

"Fucker," Dylan sighed, tossing her phone to the side. "I really need to grow up," she grumbled.

Grabbing her room key and walking across the hall, Dylan was sure she'd stand no chance of sleeping if she knew there was a spider somewhere in her bathroom and she wasn't about to let a night in a hotel room go to waste.

Dylan knocked at the door across from hers and just prayed silently that she hadn't interrupted her sister and Matt in anyway that would prevent one of them from coming and saving her from the killer spider.

"Dylan? Everything okay?"

Dylan's eyes widened as Brian stood in front of her. She suddenly became extremely aware of the old Britney Spears tour t-shirt and zebra print pajama pants she was currently wearing.

After their initial meeting over t-shirts spewed across the sidewalk, Brian and Dylan had certainly taken more time to get to know each other.

Brian was beyond cute and super sweet and always found a way to make Dylan giggle in a way that made Jack and Alex teased her. They said she sounded like a 12 year old girl with a crush at recess.

She essentially told them to fuck off and relished in the fact that for the first time in a long time she did have a crush on a boy.

"I-I'm really sorry," she said quickly. "I thought this was my sister and Matt's room."

"That's okay," he nodded, leaning against the door frame and Dylan swallowed hard, noticing him in his plain white t-shirt and black and white checkered boxer shorts. "They're actually next door. They sounded uh," he paused, biting his lip, "busy earlier."

"Ew," she scrunched up her face and Brian tried to ignore how adorable she looked. "That's wonderful," she mumbled. "I'll uh, see you tomorrow. I didn't mean to bother you."

"It was no bother," he assured her, reaching out for her hand as she moved to walk away. "Is there anything I could help you with?"

"Um," she turned to face him, biting her lip. "Actually, there is."

"What's up?" he asked.

"Promise not to laugh?"

"I can try."

"Well... There's a spider in my bathroom and I'm not gonna sleep knowing it's there," she rushed out.

Brian laughed a little, stopping abruptly when Dylan shot him a glare and he cleared his throat. "So, uh, kill the spider?"

She nodded. "That's where you come in."

"Oh," he nodded. "Okay, I get it. You have that crazy spider fear."

"Yeah, that's exactly it. So, will you help me, please?" she asked, her eyes wide and her lip pouting just enough that Brian didn't care if she was asking him to kill a spider or a lion, he'd do it for her.

"Yeah, just let me grab my room key."

A smile spread across Dylan's face and she had to bite the inside of her cheek to prevent it from spreading even more. "Thank you."

Dylan had started to realize that maybe the way she felt about Brian was teetering passed just being a crush. Every night when The Summer Set would play, she would all but promise Vinny sexual favors to allow her to leave merch, just to be able to watch their set.

She was never really good at approaching boys in that way, so she wasn't really sure how to mention the whole "I kinda like you" thing to Brian. So, she sort of just stuck it out and stayed his friend. If things were meant to be, they would work themselves out.

"It's not a problem," he said, shoving his room key in the pocket he never understood why his boxers had and followed Dylan across the hall to her room. "It's not very often I get to look cool in front of a girl."

Dylan giggled a little as she pushed the door open. "Oh, that's not true."

"Why? You think I look cool often?" he asked.

"Well, uh-" she stammered. "I just mean every night when you play, the girls in the crowd seem to eat it up."

He nodded, biting back another laugh. "So they think I'm cool. But you don't think I'm cool?"

"That's not- I didn't mean..." she trailed off, biting her lip.

"I'm kidding," Brian said. "So where's this killer spider?" he asked.

"Right this way," she said, gesturing to the bathroom. "It was in the sink."

"Okay. Here goes nothing," he said, pushing the door open and stepping inside.

"Be careful," she called after him and she heard Brian snort a laugh.

"It's a spider, Dylan... Not a dragon," he chuckled.

"Don't make fun," she pouted, mostly to herself since he couldn't see her face.

"You said it was in the sink?" Brian asked, poking his head out of the bathroom a little while later.

"Yeah. Did you get it?"

"I'm sorry, Brian. The little dude must have left the same way he came in. There's no spider in here," he said, walking out of the bathroom.

"R-Really?" she swallowed hard. "So, there's a loose spider somewhere in here?"

Brian shrugged. "Realistically speaking, there's probably a lot of loose spiders. I read once that at any given moment any person is no less than three feet away from a spider."

Dylan's eyes grew wider and Brian wanted to punch himself in the face.

"I'm kidding," he said quickly. "I didn't mean that."

"It's okay," she said. "You're right. I need to come to terms with this issue I have eventually."

"I'm sorry," he said, biting his lip. "Anything I can do?"

"I think you did enough," she said, laughing a little.

"I mean is there anything I can do now?"

She laughed a little more and shrugged. "Switch rooms with me?"

"And sleep in the spider infested room myself? No way."

She pouted. "No fair."

"Well, we can always share my room," he said, not exactly thinking it fully before he said it.

"No, that's okay. I couldn't put you out like that."

"It wouldn't be so bad. I mean, I'd hate to leave you alone in here now, knowing you can't sleep because I suck at slaying spiders."

She giggled. "Are you sure?"

"Totally," he said, sounding more sure than he really was.

"Okay. Let me just grab my pillow."

"I have pillows in my room," he said.

"I know that," she said, grabbing her pillow with the Little Mermaid pillow case and smacking him in the back with it. "But I need to sleep with this one."

He laughed a little and tossed his arm around Dylan's shoulder as they walked across the hall. "You have a lot of issues, my friend."