Status: This story is complete :)

Change

The Discovery

I stood in front of the large hospital, it loomed over me and I wondered what Annie could have done to get herself stuck in such a dull, depressing place. The image of her being in it didn't fit with her bubbly personality. It was weird.

I clutched the flowers I'd bought her more tightly. I thought it'd be ironically funny to give her the same kind of flowers that had been where we first meet, the flowers I had been taking pictures of when she shoved her way into my life.

I smiled fondly and approached the hospital, entering the reception area I walked up to a nurse at the desk.

"Hi, I'm here for Annabelle Hart, my name's Gregory Daniels." I informed politely.

The nurse eyes me carefully before checking her computer screen and then finally nodding. "Gregory Daniels, she's been expecting you. She's on level three, room 84." The nurse pointed to the elevator and I nodded, thanking her and heading to it.

I pressed the number three and the door closed. I wonder what Annie would look like, I braced myself to see extensive injuries and then pictured her in a full body cast. The only thing visible was her blue eyes and fluffy cotton candy coloured hair.

I couldn't help but chuckle at the thought, then grimace because that meant it had been a pretty serious accident. The door dinged and opened and I stepped out. I checked down both corridors before finding the right way and going down the empty hall. It was surprisingly quiet as I made my way to her room.

All to soon I'd made it to room 84 and I reached for the door handle, again I braced myself to see Annie in a fully body suit groaning in pain. I opened the door and the first thing I saw was Annie, lying there looking bored but she didn't have any type of cast on that I could see.

She heard me come in and turned to give me a massive grin. It's then that I notice something odd about her. She no longer had her cotton candy coloured hair, in fact she no longer had any hair.

"What the hell happened to your hair?" I blurted out without thinking.

She let out a round of laughter, "You haven't seen me in months and you're upset about my hair?" She asked me in disbelief.

"Duh, now I'll have to try harder just to find you in a crowd of people." I stated in horror.

"Sorry," She mused, "I didn't really have a choice though, chemo tends to do that to hair." She sighed sadly. I can't ever recall her being this sad before and it honestly killed me.

"Chemo? What for?" I asked.

I'd never forget the four words that changed my life.

"For my cancer, silly." She giggled carelessly.