Cold and Dark

Chapter 1

Jack had almost chucked his memories over the side of that mountaintop, but something had stopped him. He had become too interested in what the teeth held, for they held his true memories. He didn't hear Pitch, for the Nightmare King had appeared rather suddenly. It was a moment before Pitch spoke. "I thought this might happen." Jack turned around, tensing slightly. "Leave me alone." he growled, walking past Pitch.

The Nightmare King sighed and turned to look at Jack as he walked past him. "Jack... I know how you feel." he whispered, and Jack rolled his eyes, turning to face Pitch, teeth clenched. "No, you don't!" he yelled, and he shot ice out of his staff at the Nightmare King, who countered it with black sand. "You don't think I know what it feels like to be cast out, to long... for a family? All those years in the shadows, I thought no one else knows what it feels like... but now I see, I was wrong."

The boy's eyebrows knitted together and he swallowed loudly, looking at Pitch as the Nightmare King began to circle him. "What goes together better than cold and dark? We can make a world where everything, everything is-!" "Pitch Black?" Jack tilted his head. "And Jack Frost, too." Pitch pointed at Jack, nodding his head. Jack cocked his head in interest, taking a step closer to Pitch. He didn't think he would ever let Pitch get to him, but here he was, letting the Nightmare King get into his head and entice him. And the more Jack thought about it, the more he wanted to join up with Pitch.

"Jack, what are you thinking..." Pitch purred. "Do you think you want to work together?" The boy was silent for a few more moments, letting the thought turn over in his head for awhile longer before he gave a curt nod, causing Pitch to smile widely. "Yes. I do." Pitch had a triumphant look on his face and he reached out to pat Jack on the shoulder. "You will not regret this." he said before a few Nightmares suddenly appeared. The King nodded and without another word, the Nightmares lunged at Jack, shrouding him in darkness.