Cold and Dark

Chapter 2

The Nightmares had shrouded Jack in darkness and when they pulled away, the boy did not look the same as he had before. His hair was now raven black, and his eyes were red. Pitch walked around Jack, examining him with obvious pleasure in his eyes. The playful sparkle that had been in the boys eyes only moments ago was gone now, and it was replaced by darkness.

Pitch would continue to feed Jack darkness until there was not an ounce of the old Jack left. Jack looked at Pitch then and smirked, twirling his staff a few times. “So, what’s on the agenda first, bossman?” he inquired, cocking his head and hopping up to sit on the top of his staff. Pitch looked up at Jack with humor in his eyes, hands behind his back as he slowly walked around the staff, the boy watching him the whole time.

“Eager to get started, are we? I think… My first task for you is… to go and test out this new form of yours.” Jack nodded, still atop his staff. Jack’s memories were now pocketed, and long since forgotten. Jack hopped off of his staff, leaning on it and looking at Pitch.

“Alright, now… Focus on fear, and nothing but fear..” Pitch whispered, and Jack closed his eyes, focusing on nothing but fear, like Pitch had told him. When he sensed some fear, he opened his eyes, nodding at Pitch as if to say he had sensed some fear. “Good.” the Nightmare King said, steepling his hands in front of him. “Then go, Jack. Go seek out the fear. You know where to find me when you’re done.” He nodded at Jack as he spoke, and Jack returned the nod before flying up into the air, staff in hand, towards the place where the fear was coming from.

He flew for quite some time until he came upon Burgess. Jack’s eyes widened slightly when he sensed the fear coming from Jamie’s house. The boy floated over to Jamie’s wondow to find Jamie sitting in his room. Even though Jamie didn’t believe in him, so therefore couldn’t see him, he had felt a connection with him before Pitch had turned him into what he was now. Jack had to shake his head to clear his mind of any emotion he might feel towards Jamie now. Those were no longer needed, and he gripped his staff, opening the window just enough for him to slide inside.

Jamie did not look up from whatever he was doing. But after a few moments, for whatever reason, the younger boy did look up, sensing something was not right. His eyes moved around the room, and he felt a chill run down his spine, sensing someone was watching him. “Who’s… Who’s there?” Jamie said, voice trembling. Jack figured he might as well try to speak and see where that got him.
Jack stepped from the shadows, and was surprised when Jamie acknowledged him. He clutched his staff when Jamie spoke. “Wha-… Who are you?” Jamie whispered. How does one go about explaining that they’re Jack Frost go darkside? “Let’s just say I’m Jack Frost with a darkside. And honestly, I don’t mind being on the bad guys side as much as I thought I would…” Jack said with a shrug of his shoulders. Jamie looked at him with confusion and hurt on his face.

“Wait… I don’t understand.” There was a bit of fear in his eyes now, for he had always thought of Jack Frost as one of the good guys, but it turned out he wasn’t. “I thought… you were supposed to be a good guy…” Jack shrugged, rocking back and forth, still leaning on his staff. Jamie’s eyebrows knit together. “What can I say, kid? Being a bad guy is just a lot more fun. So I decided to work with them.” Jamie’s bottom lip trembled and he clenched his fists. “I want you to get out…” he growled. “Get out of my room right now.”

Tears were running forming in Jamie’s eyes but Jack showed no emotion, simply shrugged his shoulders. Sure, good Jack would jump on the chance to comfort Jamie, but things were different now, for this Jack merely turned and disappeared as silently as he had appeared, leaving Jamie with tears running down his face and a heavy heart.