Status: In the works :)

Sammy Boy

Chapter Thirteen

“Sid,” James Neal caught up to him after practice ended on Friday. “You’re going to that thing tonight, right? The charity event?”

Shit. Sidney had totally forgotten that he made a promise to a woman named Lucy that he’d be in attendance.

“Yeah, I’m going. Why?”

“Oh, I was just wondering. I guess I’ll see you there, then.”

Sidney liked James but considering they hadn’t played a game together – the Pens acquired Neal after the concussion – they hadn’t really had a chance to bond.

But Sid was happy he’d have an ally at the event tonight.

---

Mackenzie looked at herself in the mirror. It was six thirty and Love for Lilly started in an hour and a half but since she had to be there an hour early, she started getting ready at four.

After she had showered and set her dark hair in rollers, she did her makeup.

She wanted an effortless look that appeared as if she wasn’t trying at all, when in actuality it had taken hours to accomplish and years to perfect.

Once the rollers were taken out, Mackenzie’s long hair billowed to her shoulder blades and glistened every time they caught the light.

Her eye makeup was dark but feminine. The mood lighting in the restaurant would accentuate the smoky eyeliner and mascara, and the nude lipstick would keep her from looking unprofessional.

Mackenzie’s dress was black; Harper said it made her blue eyes pop like there was no tomorrow. If it wasn’t a work event, she probably would have gone with something more fun, but as she stared at the simple black gown hanging in her closet, she knew she had picked the right dress.

Six thirty rolled around and the company sent a car to pick the employee up. As she walked out of her building, Mackenzie heard a low “whew” come from a pair of guys walking past her.

Color crept into her cheeks as the chauffeur opened the door to the car.

---

Sidney settled on his black suit for the event tonight; he didn’t want to draw attention with a pinstripe, or turn heads with a navy or gray suit.

The event had started at eight and it was already eight thirty by the time he put his key in the ignition – he had promised he’d be there, but planned on making the appearance short.

---

Sidney pulled up to front of the restaurant and was greeted by a huge banner the read: LOVE FOR LILLY, BLOSSOMING HOPE FOR FAMILIES.

Clever, Sid thought as he handed the keys to the valet.

---

It appeared that by the time Sidney arrived at nine, the party was in full swing. Cocktails were being served, mini weenies were being eaten, and checks were being written.

As soon as he walked in, Sid was pulled in a million different directions, shaking hands with business executives, doctors, and families who had a kid in the hospital.

“We’re so honored to have you here, Mr. Crosby!” … “Thanks for coming to the event, it means the world!” … “Can’t believe you made it!”

Sidney had heard it all before and he took it in stride.

“Sidney. Crosby.” A woman in her mid-fifties appeared at his side and rested a hand on his shoulder.

“My name is Gladys Kensington and I am so happy you could make it to Love for Lilly.”

“I’m happy to be here,” he countered with a smile he hoped would come off as sincere.

It’s not that he wasn’t happy to be there and help the cause – children, especially those suffering from an illness, were always near and dear to his heart – but the week had been exhausting with the practices and his body was readjusting to the energy needed to fuel a hockey player. Plus, he had been cleared to travel with the team the next day and wanted to get a good night’s rest.

“Well, it was my PR firm that planned this whole shebang,” Gladys looked around and Sidney could tell the woman was proud. She had every right to be – the restaurant looked great.

“Please,” the woman continued, “let me introduce you to my team.”

“I would love that.”

Gladys hooked her arm through Sidney’s and set off in search of her team.

---

Mackenzie had found her groove about thirty seconds into the party. The anticipation of anything was always worse than the thing itself. While Mackenzie didn’t know what to expect, she realized worrying was silly.

She was a confident girl who knew what she was talking about and it seemed that people at the party took notice; several attendees were asking her questions, complimenting the firm, and complimenting Mackenzie herself. They all seemed to love her dress, and she had gotten more than one adoring comment about her eye makeup.

She made her way to the back table where the food was – Mackenzie was starving. She picked up a napkin and put about six cocktail weenies on the fabric. As she stuffed two in her mouth, a hand landed on her shoulder.

“…and this,” the familiar sound of Gladys’ voice reached Mac’s ears, “is Mackenzie North, my newest employee.”

Her mouth still full, Mackenzie turned around to greet her boss and found herself face to face with Sidney Crosby.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks again for all the encouragement! It means the world! COMMENT COMMENT COMMENT! Xox, Anna