Status: In the works :)

Sammy Boy

Chapter Four

Sidney felt bad and could tell that the woman on the other line was surprised he wasn’t more grateful and urgent. Of course he cared about Sam, but the team meeting started in fifteen minutes and he had to prioritize. What are a few more hours of dog sitting? Sam was an easy dog to tend to; some water and food and he was good to go. Plus, Sid was sure Sam enjoyed the company; he’d been a bit neglected the past few weeks what with all the doctors’ appointments and press conferences.

Sid made a mental note to be more attentive to his dog, but, for the time being he had to focus on
getting to the meeting.

----------------------

Mackenzie was actually enjoying the company that the dog was providing. She didn’t realize how lonely her days were until this dog made it evident of all the things she did alone. Sam joined Mac on her jog, went to the bank with her and joined her at Olive Garden, where she sat outside and attached Sam’s “leash” to the table.

She hoped that whoever this Sidney was realized what a catch he had for a dog: friendly, loyal, and appreciative. One afternoon of attention and this dog was putty in Mackenzie’s hands. She was even considering taking Jacob’s advice and making the dog the apartment complex’s mascot.

----------------------

Four o’clock rolled around and Mac found herself on a bench just outside of the main downtown area in front of Scoop’s Ice Cream. She had meant to try this place months ago, especially in the sweltering July heat, but hadn’t had the chance to. It had a reputation of having the best homemade ice cream anywhere in Pennsylvania and had been established almost one hundred years earlier. The recipes were sacred and had been passed down from each generation. It was rumored that only the two current owners and their son knew what went into the frozen deliciousness.

At thirty after four, her belief that this Sidney guy was a dick was reaffirmed. Who’s thirty minutes late to pick up a dog after leaving it with a stranger for a day? Mackenzie thought. So she tied the makeshift leash-belt to the bench and went inside to order an ice cream cone. Tardiness was no reason to starve, she thought.

Mackenzie instantly fell in love with the inside of the parlor; adjourning the walls were dozens of pictures of celebrities and athletes who had visited to get a scoop of the famous treat. Carrie Underwood, Ben Roethlisberger and Bradley Cooper were all photographed with a cone along with the owners. Mac smiled; Bradley was her ultimate celebrity crush. She couldn’t believe he had stood where she was now.

She went up to the counter and ordered a scoop of chocolate-chip-cookie-dough in a waffle cone.
She paid and took her dessert outside. There was Sam, right where she left him. She sat down and pulled out her phone. No phone call or text from Sidney indicating he’d be late. Dick, she thought as she took a bite of her ice cream. Her eyes rolled back; she definitely understood the hype. It was the richest and creamiest ice cream she had ever tasted.

----------------------

Sidney hated being late; he was recognized around the league for his promptness and professionalism. But, the team meeting ran late and he ended up having a physical therapy session at the last minute. After that, another press conference was held and he wasn’t able to leave the stadium until four-thirty.

I hope this Mackenzie has patience and doesn’t take it out on Sam, he thought as he turned his key into the ignition and made his way to Scoops Ice Cream.

----------------------

Mac was finishing up her cone when she heard a voice yell: “SAM!” She turned and saw a man standing across the street waiting for the traffic to subside so he could cross.

Sam started to get up from where he was laying and his tail began violently wagging; Mac assumed that this must be the owner. As he stood across the street, she gave him a once over: he was wearing dark jeans, a simple black t-shirt and a baseball cap.

As he crossed the street, Mac finished her cone and untied her belt from the bench. Sidney approached the pair and bent down to pet his dog.

“Hey buddy, I missed you. Where’ve you been?” The dog responded by nuzzling into Sidney’s body. Sidney smiled.

He stood and offered a hand to the temporary dog-sitter.

“Thanks for watching this guy,” he shook Mac’s hand. “I really appreciate it.”

Mackenzie was taken aback by how handsome this man was: sweet brown eyes, full lips and a built body. He filled out his clothing nicely and his jeans seemed as if they were custom made for his body. He seemed very strong and when their hands touched, his were warm and calloused.

“Yeah, it was no problem,” Mackenzie countered. “Your dog is pretty boss.” She smiled.

Sidney looked at the girl in front of him for the first time: she couldn’t have been taller than 5’3, had dark brown hair and shocking blue eyes that felt like ice on his skin. She wore a sweater and jeans and had a smile that made his heart beat falter.

Sid cleared his throat: “Well, um, I’m Sidney.”

“Mackenzie.”

“Nice to meet you.”

“Yeah, you too.” The temporary daze this Sidney guy had put on her subsided; it dawned on Mackenzie that this was the man who left his dog with some stranger who found him in a park. A flush of color rose in her cheeks. “Well, I better get going. You know, you’re almost an hour late.”

“I’m really sorry about that. My meeting ran late.”

“Clearly.” Mackenzie wasn’t going to let this handsome stranger off the hook so easily. She had decided he was a dick that morning and was not going to let his face and body change her mind.

“Well,” Sidney said. “Can I make it up to you?”

“No. Just take better care of your dog.” She unhooked the belt from his collar and passed the dog to his rightful owner. She wondered if this is what divorced parents felt like when they dropped their kids off at the other’s house. Mac knew she was being crazy; Sam had literally been in her life for twenty four hours, but she already felt protective over him. He was too cool of an animal to not have all the love and attention in the world.

Mackenzie squatted down and patted Sam’s head: “Be good, Sammy Boy.” The dog licked her face. She giggled. Sidney blinked back as the sound washed over him; he was surprised by the adorableness of the laugh that sounded like chimes in a windstorm: delicate but hardy and full.

“Bye Sammy Boy,” she said as she stood back up. “Nice to meet you Sidney.”

“Uh, yeah, you too.”

And with that, Mackenzie started to walk in the opposite direction, away from the parlor and dog.

She didn’t look back.

Sidney couldn’t explain why he wanted her to look back.

What the hell? She’s just a girl. She’s obviously not interested, he thought. Neither am I. What do I care if she thinks I’m a shitty owner? She doesn’t know anything. He adjusted his cap. Maybe I am a shitty owner.

“Alright Sammy Boy, let’s get going.” He tightened his grip on the collar and started walking to his car.

He had never called his dog Sammy Boy before.
♠ ♠ ♠
Please let me know what you think! I would really appreciate any feedback: positive or negative! Xox, Anna