Heut Ist Dein Glückstag

Chapter Six.

I loved Jenna. No, I REALLY loved Jenna!! I broke into a speed walk after snatching the clipboard from my friend giving her the biggest hug and cheesy grin ever, before slowing as I approached their room to what I considered to be a normal-ish walk (don’t want to seem too keen!) before knocking on the door hearing a muffled ‘come in’ in response allowing me to enter.

“Hey, how are you two feeling today?” I smile at them both.

“Not too bad, these painkillers seem to be doing the trick” Tom smiled back at me, looking happy for the company.

“Ughh, speak for yourself” Bill winged… ahhh, that’s why Tom looks so desperate for a third party! I was really not looking forward to this so much anymore now, Bill winging every step of the way would kill the mood for anyone, even Jenna, I laugh to myself.

“Well I’m afraid you’ve had the maximum dosage for now” I tell him consulting his record sheet. “But never mind, a nice, hot bath should ease the pain a little!” I smile at him trying to look as positive as possible despite my sudden dread.

“Do I get to have bath time too?” Tom says behind me looking even perkier now. And I giggle at his enthusiasm “Yes Tom, you get to have bath time too!” I say as if talking to a child. “Which one’s going first?” I ask hands on my hips.

“Me!” Bill snaps before Tom can open his mouth. “I want to get this over and done with – if Tom goes in first I could be waiting hours” he exaggerates, though I can see his point.

“Ok” I agree making sure Bill is comfortable before lowering the bed, pulling a wheelchair from the corner of the room and lining it up so that he could easily slide in without jogging his collarbone too much. Once he’s in and comfy I wheel him through the doors, giving a quick wave to Tom as we go, and off down the corridor to the bathroom. Once inside I help him to remove his button-up pyjama shirt, easing it over his painful shoulder before replacing his brace for support. He looks a little awkward as I half fill the bath with warm water and some peaches and cream scented bubble bath that he’d had bought in for him. I turn back to find him sat awkwardly in the chair trying to take off his pyjama pants with one hand.

“Want some help?” I sympathise; considering how extrovert he appears, not only as a performer but when off stage too, when it comes to girls and intimacy he seems completely introverted, so unlike his brother, at least from what I’d seen. He nods slightly in response and I stand him up gently, take both sides of the bottoms pulling them down until he can step out of them easily. “You can leave them on if you want?” I offer sensing his complete discomfort at the idea of removing his underwear too, he looks relieved and I he sits on the bath lift as I ease him gently as possible into the water. He cleans himself as much as possible with his limited movement before I step in and finish the process; his back, sore arm and his hair making sure he was completely clean and free of soapsuds before raising him up from the dirty water and into a fresh, fluffy towel. I’m not sure how we managed it but with a lot of wrestling, and me shutting my eyes for his comfort the now sopping wet underwear was removed and placed with his other clothing into a wash bad and he could begin to dry himself.

It was around an hour after we’d left that we returned to the room finding Tom practically bouncing on his bed in anticipation for his turn. Once Bill was safely put back into bed (I made sure to take as long as possible, knowing it was a tease to Tom) I turned to the elder brother. “Right, your turn now” I say watching his face light up at the words. I lowered the sling holding his cast-covered leg in the air, allowing him to free himself of it before lowering his bed as I had done Bills so that he could slip across into it as I adjusted the foot rests to support his leg better, and finally pushing him from the room receiving a ‘good luck’ from Bill. This was going to be fun!

I press the buzzer in the bathroom to gain the attention of a nurse; being unable to leave a patient unattended in the bathroom in case they had a fall, or drowned or something equally unlikely when they are bandaged up in a wheelchair, next to an empty bath.

“Hey, you need me?” Jenna asks sticking her head round the door – honestly, it’s like she and I are the only ones that do anything in the fucking hospital!

“Can you go get me the bin bags and stuff please?” I ask nodding to Tom’s cast covered leg.

“Sure, be right back” she smiles disappearing again and returning in what seems like seconds later with an extra towel, a bin bag and some gaffa tape. “Have fun!” she winks at me, in response to which I stick my tongue out, not that she sees as she’s already gone again – like a crazy yo-yo that one!

“Aww, that’s a shame, could have had you both bath me!” Tom grins from his position in the chair receiving a small glare as I turn to the bath twisting the taps until I get the right temperature of water; standing up to reach the bubble bath adding two squirts before replacing it in Tom’s wash bag and turning off the taps again.

“Right clothes…..” I pause taking in the glazed look across a certain person’s face realising that once again he’d been caught having wondering eyes. “What?” he asks, a cheeky smirk crossing his face as I look at him with raised eyebrows. I chose to ignore him and resort back to my previous sentence “Clothes off!” He appears more than pleased to do so throwing his shirt off and into the laundary bag provided, followed rather more awkwardly (to the point of him nearly fell headfirst out of the chair) by his shorts. After repositioning himself in a less dangerous fashion on the chair, he goes to remove his boxers too.

“Woahhh!” I jump in, having lost myself in his abs for a second. “Let me put this on you first” I gesture towards the bag in my hand “I’m not heading down there when the snake’s let loose!” I laugh kneeling on the floor in front of him.

“Well that’s no fun” he play-sulks, doing the most delicious pout I’ve ever seen! “He wants to meet you, don’t you lil’ Tomi” he says looking down to talk to his crotch, which has me bursting out laughing.

“Lil’ Tomi?! Ughh, that’s gross!” I laugh trying to hold the towel in place at the top of his cast whilst taping a bag around the rest of it to stop the water being able to get in.

“Why? What would you rather me call it, ‘the python’ or ‘the beast’?” he laughs back sticking his tongue out at me.

“How about ‘Tiny Tim’” I wink at him to which he rolls his eyes at me.

“You’ll see!” he insists as I step back.

“Ok, well get ‘em off then, you’re bath’ll be going cold, and then he be less ‘Mr Beast’ and more ‘Mr Mouse’” I chuckle.

I turn away as he removes his final garment setting a chair next to the bath for him to put his leg on in an extra effort to stop it getting wet.

“Done” I hear him call and I turn back around feeling the blush run across my freckled cheeks staining them bright pink as I desperately try to look at his face, the floor, or just anywhere but ‘that area’. I dash behind him to push his chair closer to the bath for easier entry, thinking of what Jenna would say if she saw me now. I know we were meant to be professional, but it was hard when the patient was THIS hot, I reason with myself. I hold his towel in front of me as he stands up, sitting on the bath lift to try and hide his gorgeous body from my sights until it was well and truly hidden by the thick layer of bubbles – thank god for bubble bath!

Once lowered into the bath, with his leg placed as comfortably as possible on the chair, I hand him his sponge and soap and watched over him as he washes himself as much as he can without straining the injury sustained to his neck. After several attempts to wash his back but failing because of the pain in produced, he looked at me sighing before offering up the sponge allowing me to take over. I lathered up the sponge running in gently back and forth across his back being careful not to move too low. I then set about washing his lovely long hair as asked, making a mental note of how well behaved he was being. Yeah, I spoke to soon. Just as I’d finished washing the last few bubbles from his hair; before I had chance to get up to move away, a tidal wave of water splashed over his shoulder, soaking me from head to toe.

“Tom!!” I yell jumping up in a mixture of shock and horror, looking up and down my drenched body before glaring at him through what I assume to be my now panda-looking eyes.

“Oops!” he simply giggles innocently back at me, and had it been anyone other than him, I’d believe it genuinely was an accident. His eyes though, told a different story.

“You moron! My shift doesn’t finish for another hour, what am I supposed to do now?! I can’t walk around in wet clothes!!” I complain to him, still partially in disbelief.

“Hmm, well you could get changed!” he says in what I’m sure he aims to be a ‘thoughtful’ way though I see straight through it for the evil, pervy ploy it is.

“You know what, yeah, I will!” I say in a strop, stomping over to the door to stick my head out and yell to the first nurse I come across, surprisingly not Jenna this time, no, PERFECT, it’s Kare instead! Despite her name, Kare isn’t caring, to be honest I don’t know why she bothers with nursing; she hates people, never stops complaining about her patients and is pretty mean when it comes to dealing with them, I mean, it doesn’t even pay that well! She’ll do nicely!

“Kare, we’ve had a bit of an… accident in here, can you come and take over while I go and get changed?” I call over to her and though she looks pissed, she can’t refuse. I give one last highly unamused look at Tom before saying a smug ‘good luck’ and bounding out of the room.

I reach the staff changing area – there’s always spare uniform, working in a hospital can be very messy at times – grab some new clothes, though looks like my shoes will have to do, ‘damn my big feet!’ and dip into one of the changing rooms. I’ve just about taken my silly little hat thing we have to wear off (what is this the 1920s?!!) when I hear the main door open and close and footsteps leading up to my door followed by a swift knock that I recognise straight away.

“Whaaaaat?” I groan

“I’ve just seen Kare taking Tom back to his room, neither of them looking very pleased, completely pissed off actually, – what happened?!” Jenna asks, her voice filled with a tone that shouts ‘I’m nosey tell me everything!’ – yes, if it was her I’d be digging for the gos’ too, but that’s besides the point.

“I’m wet… He got me all wet” I pout - ignoring the obvious pun there - then realise that she can’t see me and sigh instead.

“Oh God, Ash, I gotta see this, let me in!” she practically shreiks with excitement. Reluctantly I open the door and let her in, knowing she’d only draw the entire work force down here for a good gorpe if I didn’t.

“HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!” She bursts at the first glimpse of me and I almost push her back out again, but it’s too late. “What the fuck happened?!” She laughs, actually clutching at her sides… well I’m glad I’m good for comedy value; I like to see her happy, but jees, would a LITTLE sympathy not be appropriate right now?!

“Don’t laugh!!” I say grumpily folding my arms, only succeeding in pressing the now cold, wet fabric even closer against me. “He essentially just threw water at me… well no, not essentially, he did!! I knew he was being too good!!” I state feeling a chill run up my spine telling me it was time to change before I got hypothermia.

“Oh God, this is too funny! You look like a panda! No, a clown! No, a panda-clown!” She beems at me before falling apart again – I half expect her to start rolling on the floor in a minute.

“Ha, Ha, Ha.” I say completely unamused as I peal off my uniform inch by inch over my head. After a few seconds of pulling and tugging I come to a conclusion “Jeeeeeen” I say hearing her hiccup slightly before replying with a spluttered “hmmm.”

“I’m stuck!” I pout again, though she still can’t see it, what with the layer of soggy fabric in front of my face. After a couple of hours or so - ok, a few seconds, but you get the point - Jenna finally manages to pull herself together and pull me out of the fabric made trap.

“I hate you” I moan towelling myself dry and getting redressed.

“No you don’t! Admit it, you had fun didn’t you!” she smirks at me, and I can’t stop that blush from returning across my face. “I knew it!” she giggles “But no details thankyou, I’d rather not bring back my lunch!” Which has me laughing too – oh boy will she get details… when she least expects it! I will get my revenge, I agree with myself doing an internal evil laugh.

“Right, come on 45mins and we can go home!” She says after helping to towel dry my hair and fix my make-up as best we could… she was right, I did look like a panda clown! She gives my shoulders a squeeze in a sort of reassuring side hug as I “Hmm” less than enthusiastically following her out of the door and back onto the wards, making sure to avoid one certain part of the private section as I went.

Come home time my feet were sore, I had started to develop a cold from my still damp hair and all I wanted to do was curl up in a ball and sleep for a week. No such luck!

“BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ”
I look to the room down the corridor; the twins room, seeing the ‘attention nurse’ sign above it light up like a beacon of doom – a tad overdramatic… maybe.

“BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ”
Come on, there had to be someone else around that could deal with them – I wasn’t in the mood right now!

“BUZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ”
‘Great, looks like I’ll have to go!’ I sulk trudging down the short piece of corridor and into their room, trying my best not to look like a total grump in case it was Bill who needed something.

“What’s up?” I ask inwardly cursing myself that that’s not how I should talk to patients.

“I was hoping it’d be you!” Bill smiles slightly which quickly turns to a glare as his head shoots round to his brother who shifts uncomfortably under both of our glares. “Tom had something he wanted to say, didn’t you!” he urges through slightly gritted teeth.

“Yeah, errrr, sorry for, you know, splashing you like that, and getting you all wet” he says almost laughing at the last couple of words until a sharp cough from Bill wipes the smirk from his face.

“Apology accepted. Anything else I can do for you?” I ask in the most professional, yet distant tone I can muster.

“No, that’s all thanks.” Bills smile returns “And sorry again! He can be such as jerk sometimes!”

“Well she got her own back didn’t she, left me with that savage old bat! I seriously feared for my life when she was drying me – almost took my fucking skin off!” Tom interjects looking more than unimpressed himself now, as he glares at me with accusing eyes.

“Kare, savage? I don’t know what you’re talking about” I say failing to hide my giggle as the glare in his eyes hardens.

“How is it I always know exactly where you are?” Jenna asks entering the room, noticing the tension it held. “Oh God, What’s going on?” She in a tone of voice that suggests she really doesn’t want to know the answer, but I know she does, the little gossip!

“Tom didn’t like me leaving Kare to look after him, can’t imagine why!” I smirk at him.

“I could sue for the damage she’s done to my skin and I’m sure she’s made my whiplash worse!” He complains.

“Well maybe next time you shouldn’t throw water all over me and I wouldn’t HAVE to leave you with a crazy person!” I bicker back, not missing the eyes roll both Jenna and Bill gave at out childish dispute.

“Give me strength!” Jenna sighs “Look, you’re both as bad as each other, now apologise to one another before I strangle you both!”

We give her a slightly startled look before turning to one another, neither wanting to be the first to apologise.

“Toooom” Bill threatens.

“OK, OK, I’m sorry!” He sighs. Ha, I win!

“Now you!” Jenna turns to me and I open my mouth to complain but am shot down with a death glare instead.

“Yeah, I’m sorry too” I mumble picking at my nails.

“Good, you get some rest and you go clock off, it’s home time!” Jenna orders us both “See you tomorrow Bill” she adds in a sickly sweet tone, that he returns; I almost pick her up on it, until I remember that I’m slightly in the dog house again and carry on to the clock out point instead keeping my mouth firmly shut.
♠ ♠ ♠
I stayed up until 3:16am writing this so please read and share, lol!!
All comments and feedback welcome! :)
xo