Status: work in progress

We All Have Demons

Just Another Night

Kristin's POV

I stand there naked and covered in sweat putting my clothes back on. I hear a grunt and a man roles out of the bed, last costumer of the night. He drops the comforter to the floor and stands their naked while he counts out the $100 he owes me. I wish her would hurry. I hate being here, being with guys. I will never understand how woman could ever want to be with that. They are so repulsive. I only do it because I have to. Got fired from my last job and I needed someway to keep paying the rent. A couple of 'friends' talked me into, they are also...also..they are also prostitutes. Damn, I hate that word. It makes me feel dirty. Then again, I am.

The man makes another grunting noise to get my attention. He hands me my money and I take it and leave. Once im finally outside I breathe in deeply. Pulling the cold New York air into my lungs. That's the first really breath I have taken since I set foot in that's nasty hotel. I keep promising myself that this wont be forever. Im going to stop this as soon as I get another job. This is just temporary.

Im so lost in my reverie I don't even notice the cute petit red head walking right at me until I practically run her over. I glance up quickly to mumble a sorry and our eyes meet for a split second. Her eyes are the palest of greys. There is something hidden behind them but I don't know what. We both just look away and keep walking. I walk up the block a bit more before i stop and go into my apartment building.

As soon as my chocolate lab puppy Belle hears the click of the lock she comes sprinting for the door. I bend down to her eye level and my face is soon covered in here sweet kisses. This dog is my life. She is the only one that i true love and is there for me. People have always fucked me over and hurt me but i know that Belle will never do that. We protect each other.

I scoop Belle up and walk over to the answering machine, 3 messages. I check the phone; they are all from mother dearest. I play them and only half listen to what she is saying while i go to the cabinet for the bottle of Captain.

'Hi dear, its mom. I talked to your brother earlier today and he said that you lost your job? Why didn't you tell me? Call me when you can.' Damnit Toby, cant you keep your mouth shut about anything?

'Its me again, i stopped my your place a but ago and you weren't there. Where are you at? Hopefully out job hunting. This time im not going to take care of your rent if you fail to pay. You're a big girl now.' Yup, that's good old mom. As heartless as ever. This is why i have no choice but to do what i do. I would end up living on the streets if i didn't.

'Okay, seriously, where the hell are you at? You have me worried sick. How am i suppose to know if something happened to you. Call me as soon as you get home.' I don't get why she cares all of the sudden. She didn't care about me the 25 years of my life; which would be all of my life. I have went all my life without my biological parents; a dead beat dad that i have never met and don't care to, and an alcoholic mother that left me at an orphanage as soon as she popped me out.

I will never understand why people who don't want kids or aren't fit parents pop out babies like no tomorrow when there are other couples out there that pray for a child to call their own and have to go through so much work to adopt. I guess that's the kind of messed up world that we live in these days.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not really much of a story writer, i normally just stick to poetry. so please give me feedback so i know how i am doing and how i can be better!