Status: work in progress

We All Have Demons

Crashed

Blaire’s P.O.V.

It’s time for my break, so i slip on my jacket, grab my cigarettes and head out the back door to the alley. The night air nips at the exposed skin on my legs. It makes me shiver a bit. It isn’t until after i have my cigarette lit that I realize someone else is sitting outside smoking to. After blowing the smoke out of my lungs I squint to see who it is. I think it is the girl that punched the guy at the bar in his face. I smile a little in admiration.
You know, something tells me that she isn’t like the rest of them. Them being the people inside. She seems wiser somehow. It also seems like she has a life that actually means something. I had gotten so caught up in staring at her that I had yet to realize she hasn’t seen me. I try to make a noise with my shoe against the ground to grab her attention.
In a smooth and graceful movement she turns her head and tips it up to face mine. Hey dark brown eyes lock with mine. I can’t help but notice how warm they are, but at the same time they seem troubled. Her curly brown frames her pale face perfectly. While I’m looking at her I can’t help but notice a bruise on her neck. It almost looks as though its from someone’s hand wrapped around it. I soon notice I have been staring, and so has she, so I clear my throat to maybe break the silence. When we are both back to reality I walk over and sit on the ground neck to her. I take her hand in mine to look at it. I’m not sure what compelled me to do this. But i feel as though part of me though if there is a bruise on her neck then surely there would be more on her wrist. I turn her hand over enough to see that there is. I also notice that it is the hand she punched the guy with. I smile a little at that but i feel my heart drop because of the bruises. What has she gotten herself into? I look again at her face. This time a little more closely. Something about it is so familiar, but unfamiliar at the same time. I just can’t place it.
Finally i give in and ask her why that could be? She says that she doesn’t know but something in her eyes tells me she does, maybe. But it’s not worth it. I don’t think she will tell me. Maybe that means she doesn’t feel as comfortable around me as i do around her. I wrap one arm around my knees and home my cigarette in the other. I blow my smoke to the sky and watch it rise. Even the smoke i have control over. At least to a certain point.
The girl suddenly startled a little. She stand up and says she needs to go. She also asks if she could have a cigarette for her walk home. I hand her the pack and start to hand her the lighter before pulling it back. I take the marker out of my pocket and neatly write my phone number on it. I tell her my name is Blaire and to just keep it. I walk inside before another word is said.
***
I feel something cold against my face. Something i don’t much like. I open my eyes to be blinded from the afternoon sun glaring off the white tile floor. The same floor that I am laying on. I sit up careful to not hit my head on the edge of the toilet like i did last time. I lean against the bathtub for support as i try to recall last night. I can’t seem to remember leaving the bar or exactly when i came home. But at least i made it home i guess.
I finally muster the strength to stand up and brush my teeth. I look in the mirror and smile a little at the fact that I don’t look as shitty as i feel. I walk into my room to find clothes through thrown on the floor. It isn’t until then that i realize i have pajamas on. I go to the kitchen and start making a pot of coffee. My phone is on the island so i pick it up with the coffee pot bubbles and pops. I have a missed call? who’s number is that? Don’t they know not to call before noon the day after i work? Suddenly it dawns on me. Could it be the girl from the alley?