The Mess That Feels so Right

I wanna hang out!

Image


"Miiiiiike," Olivia whined into the receiver of her phone, in response to his deep-voiced Hello?

"Olliiiiivee," He responded, bringing a small smile to Olivia's face. That was still her favorite nickname.

"I wanna hang out!" Olivia pouted.

"Oh, you do?" He laughed. "Well, it's gonna cost ya, and I don't think you can afford this."

"Stop prostituting yourself out for a second," Olivia laughed. "And yes, I could absolutely afford that. But that's not what I'm talking about!"

"Ugh, whatever. Denial is the first step, Olive."

"Whatever you say, Mikey," Olivia teased.

She could practically hear the boy scowl. "I still don't like being called that, Olive Loaf."

"You're gross. So is olive loaf. Take me to the zoo and you will be Mike again. Okay, Mikey?"

"Why the zoo, anyways?"

"I want to take pictures. I feel like I'm getting rusty."

"You take pictures now?"

"That's why I came back to Chicago, to work for a magazine. Eventually. I just haven't found that job yet..."

"Fine," He finally sighed. "Let me take a shower. Where's your apartment?" She told him the address. "I'll be there in like, half an hour."

An hour later, and my cell phone finally rang. "I didn't think you'd ever call!" She greeted. "My heart was broken into a thousand pieces, Mikey."

"I can leave."

"No no no! I'll be right down."

---

Finally, they made it to the zoo. Despite Olivia's desperate protests the entire way there, Mike paid for both of them to enter. The first animals she sought out were tigers.

"Why can't we go through the zoo in order?"

"Because that would be boring."

"But Olive," Mike whined. "I don't want to walk."

"Sucks to suck," She teased. "It's exercise."

"Jerk," Mike pouted.

"You love it."

"Maybe I do."

For a few long moments, she couldn't respond. She'd been lost to her camera. They were in front of the tiger exhibit of the zoo now, and she was fully engrossed in getting a few perfect pictures. She walked back and forth around the side of the exhibit, looking for the perfect angle. Once she found it, she did her best to hold herself steady and managed to snap one picture of the orange tiger lounging lazily a few feet from the wall. A few perfect moments later and he yawned, which also ended up on film.

This pattern repeated through the next few exhibits - sloths, zebras, red pandas, and a few types of owls, specifically.

A few times, when Mike wasn't looking, Olivia even managed to snap a few pictures of him as well. That is, until he caught her taking the last one. "I'll break your camera," He joked.

"Oh, shut it," She laughed. "They came out great, I know it."

He just shook his head. The duo had made it to the lion exhibit and Olivia was about to go back into photographer mode when Mike not-so-sneakily took the camera from her hand. Olivia looked towards him, pouting.

"C'mon, Olive! Smile!"

"I don't like being on this side of the camera," She whined.

"Too bad." He said, snapping one picture.

"Be careful with her!" She practically yelled. "That's my baby."

"I'm not going to drop your baby," Mike laughed. "How do you know it's a girl?"

"Her name is Lucy."

"You named your camera?"

Olivia's only response was a smile. Which Mike reacted to quickly, snapping another picture. Olivia ran towards him now, hellbent on getting the device back. Mike stretched his arm upwards, keeping it out of her reach.

"You haven't changed, Mikey."

"Neither have you, Olive Loaf."

"I missed your face," She laughed.

"Sucking up isn't going to get your camera back," The boy grinned. Olivia was practically pushing him over now, trying to retrieve it.

"I don't like you right now, Mikey," She faked a glare.

"What a change of attitude!" He grinned. "You're lucky you're adorable, I have every right to just leave you here!"

"You wouldn't."

"I know," He laughed, finally handing the girl back her camera. He couldn't help but sigh as she walked a few feet away, resuming her photo-taking.
♠ ♠ ♠
This took me forever. Sowwie!