There Is Always Someone Who Loves You

There Is Always Someone Who Loves You

If there was one thing I hated the most it was being away from him. We knew when we got into a relationship together that being away from one another would be part of the deal. His job took him on road trips all over the country for days on end sometimes even weeks and working in marketing my travels could get pretty sporadic itself. Honestly though, in the beginning I never thought we were going to stick together, I never thought I would miss him and I never thought I would love him like I do.

I couldn't handle waking up to an empty bed without his big strong arms there to wrap around me. It was like the only way I could start my day was from his warmth; from his kisses to my cheek that trailed down my neck, the way his accent thickened, his hair stuck up all over the place, his face softened and a smile that always worked its way onto his features. It was my Evgeni and he had been that way for four years now.

Four long years we had been together, through the ups and downs and nothing was going to get in our way. There were so many nights where our relationship teetered on edge and all it would have taken was one for one of us to walk out and we would have been over, but neither of us were the kind of people to give up on something we cared about.

That was why I could not wait to get home to see him. Sure I loved my job, I had worked so hard to get to where I was but Evgeni had become more important now, he was my family, him and Jeffrey our big mastiff were my boys and they were all that was on my mind every second of the day.

'Hey sweetie I just got in, half an hour and I will be home. Do you want anything from the shops while I am out?' I shot him a quick message as I picked up my luggage.
'Hi ))) no is ok you come home now I miss you.'
'Ok I miss you too, see you soon :)'

I headed out of the terminal and braved the Pittsburgh winter to accomplish the tedious task of finding my car. Evgeni did worn me about buying a silver car.
“You never find it with all other silver cars around,” he had claimed the day I drove it into the driveway. I had assured him I would be fine because no one else would keep it as immaculate as I would but how I was wrong. I could almost hear his torturing smug voice saying “I told you so” as I walked back and forth trying to remember where it was.
The only way I could really tell when it was mine was from the endearing penguins sticker I had put on the back for a tramp stamp. I thought it was funny, my car being a big booty hoe for the Pittsburgh Penguins but Evgeni had just shaken his head and walked away in disgust when I revealed it to him. I had told him time and time again it was just a joke and if he really wanted he could take it off but he claimed that if he did I would never be able to find my car before he proceeded to rip me about my poor choice in color. There was just no pleasing the man.

After at least 15 minutes of walking back and forth I finally found that little sticker and ultimately found my car. I was going to have to remember to mention that to him later, the logical reason behind the sticker never failed me.

I stuck the keys in the ignition and started the car so I could get the heater going and warm everything up while I put my bags in the back. There was nothing worse than trying to drive a car while you were too busy freezing your panties off.

I was searching through my things to find a CD to put it but in being unsuccessful with the first case I headed for the holder attached to my sun visor. I flipped it down not thinking anything of it when a whole bunch of heart shaped confetti dropped down into my lap with a little pink envelope in amongst it.

I opened the envelope and took the perfectly folded piece of paper out before scooping all the confetti back into the envelope so I did not make a mess of my car. I knew it was Evgeni's doing and he was going to cop it when I got home. He knew I hated any kind of mess in my car and he was always the one to do it in spite of all the times I had begged him not to.

I carefully opened the note, a huge smile on my face the whole time because I knew Evgeni had gone to some degree to do all this for me and I loved all of his little surprises.

Nikki
I never understood the meaning of perfect until I met you. Now I know what it means and you still take my breath away everyday. You are perfect to me.
Love Evgeni xoxo


I knew he hadn't written it on his own, his English wasn't that good but at least he had a shot at writing it this time. I had a whole bunch of notes from 'him' and they were in Sidney's writing which it kind of ruined the sentiment a little bit. But this note was going to be kept somewhere special.

I tucked the note away and headed home with a renewed desire to see my man.

I pulled into the garage and closed the roller door as I stepped inside the house leaving my luggage there until tomorrow.

I turned to head down the hallway but was stopped when I saw a path of candles lining the floor with notes attached to them leading into the main part of the house. I knelt down in front of the first candle to see what was on the piece of paper.

I love how beautiful your eyes are


I picked the candle up and blew it out not wanting to cause some kind of fire hazard that Evgeni had clearly forgotten about but it was sweet none the less.

I collected the note and moved on to the next one to find another pampering comment.

I love how strong you are


I blew out the next candle and moved on keeping the notes tightly clenched in my hands for safety.

I love how even when we are miles apart I still feel like you are right by my side


It was true though, because even when either one of us were gone I still knew that he loved me and that when we got home we would be there for each other.

I love laying in bed with you at night and talking about nothing


I love how your lips feel against mine


I love taking showers with you ;)


I love how you cuddle into me and let me protect you


I love how you are my number one fan even when you don't always know what is going on


I love your big bright smile


I love our life together


I could feel myself smiling like an idiot at the thought of Evgeni going to all this trouble for me. He really was the best person in the whole world and I was so lucky to have him.

My eyes caught a bouquet of orchids sitting on the coffee table in the lounge room, red ribbon holding them together. He remembered. Orchids were my favorite, my father had a tree of them that sat in the center of our backyard as a child and he would pick a flower everyday and give it to my mother with a kiss at breakfast. If I could have a marriage as half as good as they did I would be the happiest woman in the world.

I picked up the little card attached to it with more writing all over it. He really was doing himself a good one this time.

I not have enough time to tell all things I love about you and was hard picking ten. I not get mention your hair, sense of humor, intelligence and how much I love you for being you.
I want to grow old with you.

PS. follow the path yet traveled, it will lead you somewhere great


I didn't really know what he meant by the path yet traveled. Did he mean it in a literal context or if there was a deeper meaning but I guess I was going to find out soon.

I looked around the room and noticed a trail of petals leading back out into the foyer. I followed them until I reached the stairs where yet another piece of paper was staring back at me.

Come on, I am waiting for you :)


I followed the path of petals up the stairs and down the hall to where our bedroom door was ajar and a shimmer of light shined through telling me this was where I had to go.

I grabbed the door handle and slowly pushed it open, creaking the whole the way until it revealed our transformed room.

Petals shaped like a heart in the center of our large bed, candles the source of the dim light and music playing softly in the background which instantly calmed me. Then there was Evgeni standing there in the center of the room in a pair if black slacks and white buttoned shirt rolled up at the sleeves with a welcoming smile on his face, Jeffrey right by his side with a sign around his neck.

Just say yes


"What is all this?" I moved across the floor closing gap between us that had been there for too long. My eyes flickered between Jeffrey and the sign around his neck wondering what it meant and Evgeni's face with his smile growing wider with each step I took.

"Nikki," he put his hand up telling me he wanted me to stop right where I was just a few feet away.
He said something in Russian to the dog as he took the sign off him and gestured to the door before the big boy was off without a care for what was going on.
"What?" my eyes followed the paper as it fell to ground by his feet before shooting back up to my nervous looking boyfriend.

"I know we not always perfect, we fight more than I okay with but you most important person to me and everything I say on paper is true. You are perfect..."

The moment he dropped to one knee and pulled out a beautiful silver ring my breath was gone. A mix of happiness and sadness washed over me in one shot, I guess I felt a little shocked.

"Will you marry me?"

I bit my lip as I tried to stop the tears from escaping but I couldn't hide my true feelings when he was around.
"Yes, yes I will marry you," I stepped forward and threw my arms around his neck as he stood back up almost knocking him over with my excitement.

"Nikki," he sounded panicked as I sobbed with my head buried into his shoulder, "not want to make you cry," he pulled back and looked me straight in the eyes.
"No it's okay they are happy tears, I am happy," I wiped at my face trying to get rid of the tears on my cheeks.
He lent forward and kissed my forehead reassuringly before mumbling a quiet, "good."

He grabbed my shaking hand and lined the ring up with my finger before giving me a final questioning look. I nodded for him to continue and he slipped the ring on.
"Perfect," he whispered cupping my face as he drew me closer to finally kiss my lips.

I had missed him. Being away from the one you love is hard but knowing that the whole time he was there in my heart made the weeks just that bit more tolerable. I never wanted to be apart for that long ever again, business could wait.

I pulled back but kept my arms around his neck not wanting to let go of him just yet as his hands settled around my waist. He lent down and kissed the spot just below my ear making goosebumps appear all over my skin. Before a ray of whispered sweet things in Russian came out of his mouth. I was no master at the language but I could understand the words, love, beautiful and forever.

I let my hand fall into place on his neck so I could tilt his face at the perfect angle to kiss him. After everything he had just done a good kiss was the least I could give him in return right now.

The music began to drown into my ears and suddenly I recognized my favorite song and I just had to sing.

He rested his forehead against mine with a huge smile playing on his lips.
“Forgot to say how you have beautiful voice,” I felt his arms tighten around me and pull me closer eliminating all space between us.
“You don't need to say anything else to make me love you, I already do,” I ran my hand through his hair and let my hand settle at the nape of his neck and gave his lips a sweet peck as we continued to sway to the music.

“Your the most amazing man I have ever met,” I let my head fall down on his shoulder where he wrapped his arms around me, his protective flair showing through.
“I love you,” he dropped a kiss to the top of my head.
“I love you too,” I finally settled and relaxed completely into his arms knowing he would be there to hold me.

That was thing with Evgeni, on the ice he had this rough, angry appearance, a short temper that would flair up at any time and sometimes that got in the way of our life but he was working on it. He was doing everything in his power to make the best of what we had and used that passion to protect me.

Sure everyone has their flaws but when you are love with someone you can see past their imperfections and find what is left, the most perfect human being you could ever imagine.

I learned that the real meaning of love is loyalty, it is being there for one another no matter what. Sure the things Evgeni sees in me now will fade one day but I know, I have complete faith in him that he will never fade and that he will be there for me no matter what comes across our path.

When I first met him he was just another guy trying determined to make a move on me until I realized that determination was directed at something more than what I thought and he became the only world I knew. He shared my passion for hard work and determination, he encouraged me to do what I believed in, he became my rock, my angel if you like.

My point is, there are a lot of people in the world. No one ever sees everything the same way you do; it just doesn't happen. So when you find one person who gets a couple of things, especially if they're important ones... you might as well hold on to them. You know?
♠ ♠ ♠
This is the first story I have written for contest so I hope you all liked it :)