Status: Finished

The Anthem for a Dying Breed

"Lets give 'em hell" - Congratulations, Sleeping With Sirens

“Elmakias!” someone hollered as soon as we stepped into the bar.
“Again?” Rayne sighed, rolling her green eyes dramatically. Adam shrugged and smirked.
“What can I say? Bitches live me.” He replied. I choked back a giggle and looked away; Adam frowned over at me. “You’re lucky you’re already injured,” he added, miming cracking his knuckles.
“What a gentleman,” I snickered, before yelling “OUCH!” as my lip cracked a little more.
“Alrighty, then, lets get some ice for those lovely faces.” Flyzik reminded, nodding at our beat-up faces.
Rayne shot Flyzik a dazzling smile despite the purple bruise blooming on her cheek, then poked her tongue out at Adam.

“I like him more than you.” She stated, punching Adam’s arm.
“I’m hurt,” he chuckled, pulling her along to the bar after Flyzik. I followed suit until someone tackled Adam into a hug, knocking Rayne and I to a side.
“Adam, fool! Where you been? I was calling you!” A spiky chocolate-haired guy yelled; I glanced at Rayne, quirking an eyebrow as she mouthed ‘That’s Alex Gaskarth!’
I laughed silently and mouthed ‘I realised that, dope face’ back.
“You should come do shots with us – Jack’s already shit faced.” Alex urged.
“Sorry, man, I’ve got to get these idiots some ice.” Adam said, gesturing vaguely over at us. Alex looked over at us, eyeing use up and down, all suspicious-like.

“Elmakias, did you dishonour sacred bro-code by breaking up a girl fight?” he demanded. Flyzik smacked him upside the head and explained our little spat with the twat faces.
“Oh. Oh! Do you want me to beat ‘em up for you? I’ll get Zack...” he burbled, disappearing into the crowds before Flyzik could stop him.
“Ice?” Rayne said hopefully, looking between Adam and Flyzik.

They finally requested some ice packs for our swollen faces, and got us some drinks too. Good move, men.
“So what are two British chicks such as yourselves doing in the States?” Flyzik inquired, smiling slightly at us both.
“We’re Adam’s apprentices for the summer. We’re basically helping him to document the tour,” Rayne replied, “Never been to Utah before. Or the States at all, for that matter.”
Flyzik gave us another dimpled smile, warm and familiar all at once. I could tell we were going to get along perfectly.
“Salt Lake City’s a pretty cool place to be,” he said, referring to our current location, “there are always amazing places to visit on tour. I’m pretty sure we could scope some sights together, if we get the chance.”

I was about to mention how cool this would be, when Alex reappeared by my side, this time with a gang of his own.
“Right, little lady, who we fucking up?” he demanded, scouring the scene.
I stared at him and his group a little blankly; behind him was Rian Dawson and Zack Merrick, Jaime Preciado (of Pierce The Veil) and Dan Flint (of You Me At Six).
“No one. They’ve gone.” I replied, pulling a face. Alex looked at me, exasperation clear on his face. “Sorry.” I mumbled, feeling like the ultimate killjoy.
“S’okay,” he sighed heavily, dropping an arm around my neck, making me buckle under his weight. Pretty sure he’s had a few... “Y’have nice hair.” He mused, resting his chin on top of my head.

Jaime, meanwhile, had engulfed Rayne in a huge hug on noticing her Pierce vest.
“You have awesome taste in music!” he trilled. Rayne lost her usual cool composure and squeaked, hugging him back.
“No fair, I want a Mexican.” I whined. Alex pulled back, wide puppy-dog eyes all offended.
“Don’t you like me?” he asked, lip quivering. He was definitely drunk.
“Oh, honey, I love! But I’m just not woman enough for you,” I teased, feigning heartbreak. Alex stared at me intensely.
“You are for me......”he looked confused for a moment, “wait, what’s your name?”
The group around us laughed, and I grinned up at him.
“Aleena. Nice to meet you.” I offered my hand for him to shake, and he took it. It was all weirdly formal after the scene prior to this.

“Another Brit!” Dan chimed, beaming at us. I couldn’t help but beam back – how can you not, with those dark intense eyes and secretive smile? I feel like a troll in comparison; the idea made me giggle. “Where abouts you from, then?”
“Reading,” I nodded, barely containing my inner fangirl, “Though Rayne moved to Swindon a little while back.”
“Ahh, so not far from us, then?” he said, flashing pearly whites at me. Stupid perfect smile, I’m all giddy from it...
“Yeah! Surrey, right?” I asked, delighted he was even remotely interested.
“Yes!” he laughed, looking pleased, “You’re going to have to meet the guys!” The smile that lit up my face just couldn’t be suppressed – he was lovely, Alex was lovely, Flyzik was lovely; everyone was lovely!

I needed to get a thesaurus...but how else could I have describe these people? I couldn’t believe my own luck, tempted to pinch myself to prove it wasn’t a dream. My own excitement was practically tangible.
I looked over at Rayne, who was holding down a different conversation with Adam, Flyzik, Rian, Zack and Jaime each. Alex nudged me and smiled; a cherry-lipped, bright-eyed smile that was almost delirious.
“D’you want to dance?” he offered. I licked my lips tentatively and nodded.
“Bare with me, though,” I warned, “I dance like a drunken owl!”
He spluttered with laughter and pulled me to my feet, and into the crowded dance floor. I caught a glimpse of Dan’s face grinning at use before rejoining some of his friends.

Every other face around us melded into a blur of colour and noise: raucous, blissful, boundless. This was how I wanted to spend the rest of the summer.
What a beautiful way to start a new life.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, 2 updates in 1 week! whoopwhoop!
I'm quite proud of myself, so...yeah.
I hope you enjoy it, dudes.

A x