Status: Finished

The Anthem for a Dying Breed

"You're not set in stone" - Hope, We Came As Romans

I made the consecutive decision to invite Alex over and crash on our bus for a couple of nights: it seemed to make sense, seeing as he needed the time and space away from Jack to sort out his thoughts, and I was the only one at the moment who knew. Unfortunately, he was as much of an anxious puddle of girl as I was at times, which meant over the couple of days that followed, he practically worried himself into a cold.
I felt awful for him, knowing he would have to have been in a really shitty place to do so - the entire time we spent together, he was extraordinarily miserable and rather needy. This resulted in him refusing to leave the bus, and guilt-tripping me every time I tried to leave.

For forty-eight hours straight, I humoured Alex by watching countless Disney movies, eating nothing but popcorn and the food Adam or Rayne would occasionally coerce him into eating, and snuggle. Like, a lot.

It was killing me that I couldn’t tease him about being so clingy and needy, be he was a bit fragile at the moment, bless his soul.

Spending so much time together with him didn’t actually bother me though - in fact, it was a welcome distraction to the fact that there were a couple of things that did. One being that, since Alex had attached himself to me, Tony had spent the last couple of days seeming a tad disinterested and cold. I’d seen him last the day before yesterday, and he spent a grand total of ten minutes on our bus, before rushing off, claiming their manager was calling him.
I was trying my hardest to not be a pushy twat and text him all the time, but he made no further attempt to come and find me or try and initiate contact. To go from cute, cuddly Tony to this was...not nice. To make it worse, I had racked my brain, but couldn’t seem to come up with what I had done wrong or a legitimate reason as to why he was suddenly so detached, other than maybe he had realised he could do better.
Much better.

Secondly, Ben. Ben fucking Bruce. I didn’t have any issue whatsoever harassing him until he answered me, but the little shit wasn't answering my texts or calls, and had been doing a damn good job of avoiding me until had I had temporarily incarcerated. Danny had been the closest I could get to him, and even he was being weird and ambiguous about why Ben was the Invisible Man of late.

Lastly, and this on a more introverted note, I was hearing a seeing a few things. About me. Rumours were strife online, and I hadn’t realised how many pictures of me the the mates I’d made this summer had been of such interest to the fans. There had been a lot of speculation about who Rayne and I were over the past couple of weeks - some theories were hilariously outrageous, particularly the one about Ray being a traitor to the nation, and me being a member of the Al-Qaida undercover.
I laughed so hard, I nearly dropping the timer bombs in my pocket.
Professionally, we were Adam’s apprentices. Personally...we were a mystery to thousands of curious kids across the nation who had let their imaginations loose. And unfortunately for me, it wasn’t just my blog that had caught peoples’ attention, but my social networking accounts too.
I didn’t know if Ray was receiving any of the kind of messages I was getting the the moment, but I didn’t intend to ask anyone until I reckoned we might have a moment of peace alone.

“Al,” Alex whines, slumping sideways so his weight was on me, “what are you doing?” I flicked from one tab to the other on my laptop so he wouldn’t get an eyeful of the new wave of tweets directed my way.

“Lex,” I mimicked with a drawl, “I’m dying of boredom.” He poked my cheek to get my attention and I glanced at him. “What?”

“I wanna watch a different movie.” he demanded. I sighed and went back to my Pinterest account. “Aaaaaaaaaaaal!”

“This is all we got, Lex. Sorry.” I mumbled.

“Where’s all the other ones gone?” he persisted. I shrugged.

“Think Vic nicked a couple yesterday.”

“Go get ‘em.”

“No.”

“Goooo!”

“Go wank yourself, Gaskarth.”

“Fine.” he snapped, pulling away. “I’ll tell Vic to bring them over.” I grunted to show I couldn’t care much less, and he got on his phone. “He said he’ll be here in a couple of minutes.” Alex announced after a moment, sending another text. “Make meone of those things. What are they anyway? I want one”
I rolled my eyes and grinned at him as he wiggled closer on the sofa, worming his legs under mine as I tried to explain the concept of the online pinboard to his Majesty, the holy grail of all utterly unmanly melodrama. “So...I can just post whatever? Like Tumblr.” he concluded.

“Uhh...kinda. Yeah, I guess.” I shrugged again. “It;s more like a virtual mood board though, if that makes any sense.”

“It’s basically Tumblr.”

“No, it’s-”

“Yeah, it’s-”

“Yo, anyone home?” Vic asked, knocking on the door as he closed it behind him. He had already let himself in. “I know, ladies, I’m hilarious.”
I snorted and elbowed Alex away to try and get some personal space “Here are your movies,” Vic continued, setting them down on the table and sitting down next to me, “why don’t you guys just use Netflix?”

“I do. I use Adam’s. He doesn't need to know that though.” I replied, sinking further into the sofa cushions with a slouch. Alex got up to pick a DVD and feed it into the TV set, then went over to the kitchen to get us some more popcorn. How we even had the amount we did was still unclear to me; our cupboards did have a profound lack of cookies though, and I hadn’t had the chance to go out and buy us some more. Bummer.

“So…” Vic began, making himself cosy next to me. “Hey.”

“Uhm…” I looked up from my screen and frowned at him. “Hi?”

“How you doing?” he asked, voice a warm hushed indoor level - Alex could really learn from this guy. I gave him a you’re being weird look, and he gave me a answer the question look in return.

“Fine, I guess.” I mumbled, brain to sluggish to figure out where he was going with this.

“You ‘guess’?” he pushed. I sighed exasperatedly and ran a hand through my mess of a plait, managing to fuck it up even more, layered strands sticking up at hilariously odd angles.

“Where you going with this, Fuentes?” I demanded.

“Why haven’t you and Tony been hanging out?” he answered immediately: something gave me the feeling that was the reason he’d come over, and not so much to return to DVDs. To be honest, I wasn't even sure if half of them were ours. I do not recall purchasing Billy Elliot: the Musical. I do not recall ever being associated with anyone who ever purchased Billy Elliot: the Musical. “It’s been like two days.” he continued.

“Exactly,” I said calmly, “it’s been two days. He’s probably just busy or something. Too busy to answer texts, anyway.” I added in a bitter mutter under my breath. “Besides. It’s not like we’re dating or anything.”
Vic scrunched up his face then, like he was struggling to fit that into his head. I would have laughed at his expression if I hadn't known he was being deadly serious.

“You don’t think he’s...jealous...do you?” he said eventually: his tone suggested he was thinking out loud, but I was already feeling edgy about the whole situation.

“Of what, Alex?” I scoffed. “I don’t think he has a right to be - of him or anyone I hang out with. They’re just as much my friends as his! Seriously, Vic, if he’s not interested and you’re just here to convey the message, spit it out so I can get it out of my head and be done with it.”

What? No!” Vic cried, looking alarmed as his almond eyes went wide. I narrowed my eyes at him. “No, no, no! I’m just trying to figure out why two of my friends, who seemed really into each other are suddenly just…” He waved his hand around in an ambiguous manner, trying to find the words. He didn't, and gave up quickly as Alex returned with enough popcorn to drown in.

“Why is Vic still here and when is he leaving?” Alex demanded, throwing himself back onto the sofa.

“Why is Alex here and when is he leaving?” Vic replied pertly, giving him a fake scowl. “White boy.”

“Shut up, Mexican.” Alex retorted, pulling his pale, dry lips into a pout. “Go eat some burritos.” Vic chuckled lightly and pulled out his phone, pushing the argument out of mind.

“What are we watching?” he asked, locking the screen and placing it face down on his thigh. My phone buzzed in my pocket and I frowned, getting it out, but having to wiggle a bit; one of the many problems of wearing such tight jeans.
To my surprise, it was a text from Vic - I looked up at him, but he seemed already completely absorbed in the movie - or was very good at ignoring me.
Rolling my eyes, I decided to humour him, and opened the message.

*

From: Victorrr <3
Has T been ignoring you? x

To: Vic
I know you mean well but don’t get involved

From: Vic
Too late!

Tell me x

To: Vic
Dude

From: Vic
Dude

To: Vic
Weirdo XD

There’s not much to tell tbh

From: Vic
Won’t take long then ;D

To: Vic
Dunno, man

He’s been distant, I guess

Don’t wanna keep texting him though

I mean, we only hooked up so…

Not being clingy and w/e lol

From: Vic
Sweetie

You’re not clingy

That’s Capt. Clingy next to you

Jk ;D

To: Vic
NEVER SAY ‘JK ‘ AGAIN :O

DUDE FOR REAL

NEVER

From: Vic
whut my swag offend u bitch?

GET MY SWAGGY SWAG ON

JKJKJKLOLOLOL

YOLOOOOOOOOOOOO

Bitch swag tho

Check it

Swaggy swag

To: Vic


From: Vic
Let's never speak of this again

Ever

To: Vic
Agreed

*

I left Adam on Alex duty later that evening by request of Vic: he asked me to meet him outside the OM&M bus because - and I quote - his bus “would look shady”.
The boy really needs to stop watching action thrillers.

“Hey, hot stuff!” I called, spying him from a distance. He lifted his head and grinned at me, beckoning me over to where he was leaning outside against the bus.

“Hey, sweetie,” he extended an arm to wrap around my neck as soon as I was in reach and pulled away from the side, leading me into the bus. “So, we need to talk.” I rolled my eyes and stopped smiling, making to pull away and promptly damning his muscular arms as he pushed me up the steps and through the door. Phil and Tino were inside, playing on their Xbox, kept company by Aaron and Alan.

“Heyyyy, Al!” Aaron greeted me warmly. I shoved Vic away like the stroppy little four-year-old I was, and hugged Aaron tight to make a point. Tino glanced up to say hi and send me a quick smile, but Phil started whooping his virtual arse, snatching his attention back. I giggled at them and kissed the top of both their heads, noticing Vic’s eyes on me out of the corner of my eye.

“Are Aust and Rayne upstairs?” Vic asked. Aaron nodded at him, and I made to rocket-launch myself at Alan, who was reaching his long, pale arms out to me: however, Vic caught the back of my t-shirt and pulled me away. “Save your chit chat! We have issues to deal with!” he instructed, leading me further into the bus and up the stairs before shouting over his shoulder. “Sorry, Alan! Girl talk!”

“Why are we even here?” I whined, not resisting, but tugging on the sleeves of his hoody. He led me into the movie room and pushed me ahead of him so I could see Ray and Austin were there too. “Guys, Vic’s bullying me!”

“Dude,” Ray said calmly, patting the seat next to her on the sofa, “sit.” I narrowed my eyes at her warily and did as she said.

“OK, this is officially weird.” I stated, noticing the soft look of concern on Austin’s face as he watched me. The fact he was looking anywhere other than Rayne was weird in itself. Vic sat down too, but I kept my eyes on Ray. “Where’s this going, because you’re all giving me creepy looks right now…”

“I filled Ray and Austin in on the whole Tony thing,” Vic eventually said. I punched his arm mercilessly.

“I have noticed you being a hermit lately, Al.” Ray added in a slightly admonishing tone of voice. “Vic just made the connection between Tony acting weird, so we decided to...intervene.”

“We’re like the Avengers!” Austin piped with a delighted chuckle. I grinned at him until Ray’s implication sunk in.

“Wait, what do you mean ‘intervene’?” I said slowly, leaning away from her.

“The best way to figure out what a guy thinks of you?” Vic said.

“Make him jealous.” Austin finished.

“Worked for me and this idiot.” Ray added with a little shrug. Austin made a face, causing her to blush. Bless, a guy just made her blush! She must be getting really serious about him…

“I still don’t get it.” I admitted bluntly, feeling a bit thick. “Like...what’s the plan?”

“The plan is we convince one of the guys to hang out with you for a few days, acting all friendly-like, ya feel?” Rayne began, winking animatedly. “You’ll be together loads, and Vic will make sure Tony keeps on conveniently bumping into you, so eventually he’ll get his panties all twisted up and try to win you back.”

“Or realise he doesn’t care.” I suggested, feeling it was a completely valid suggestion. “But still...I thought you said he was being all weird because me and Alex were hanging out? Isn’t that the same thing?” I asked, twisting to face Vic and direct my question his way.

“No, because him and Alex are friends - he’d never confront someone he was friends with for hitting on his girl.” I made a face as he said his girl. Ew. “We need someone he’s not as close to.”

“What absolute complete and utter numpty would agree to that?” I said. Vic and Ray both glanced at each other, wearing matching smirks; I grimaced nervously and looked at Austin, who looked a little unnerved himself.

HEY!” Alan hammered on the door, making us all jump three feet into the air; damn it! Foiled before we’d even put the plan into action! And I thought it was definitely foolproof(!) “Can I have my hug now?!” he whined, poking his head through.
Hm. Maybe not.
♠ ♠ ♠
yup, there it is after...a long time. too long, so I'm sorry, dudes.
it's kinda shit, so was the last, but 98% of that comes out my arse so...XD

let us know if you guys wanna read something in someone else's POV instead of our usual stuff, that might be interesting - us hit us up if you like that idea

have a good one, Ls&Gs, I love ya
x