Status: Finished

The Anthem for a Dying Breed

“Forever alien and forever altered” – Laser Beams, Wintersleep

My first official day on Warped Tour began with someone throwing open the curtain to my bunk, flooding it with unwelcome daylight.

“Urgh. Fuck off.” I mumbled, burying my face in the pillow.
“You’re a bucketload of pep today,” Adam commented, peering at me cautiously, “How many did you drink last night?”
“Just two, I think.” I replied, tumbling out of bed and onto unsteady feet. “Why the fuck are you up so early, you weirdo?”

Adam laughed and led me to our kitchen/living space, where Rayne was already prowling through the fridge, dressed and all cleaned up.
“First day on the job, kiddo, we’ve got to be ready to go.” He settled onto one of the cushiony seats and began to check through his equipment, selecting his favoured lenses. I stared around the interior of the bus and hopped up to seat myself on one of the worktops.
There was a stereo with ridiculously huge speakers situated either side; every wall seemed a slightly different shade of blue; and everything that could possibly be mismatched, was so.

“Adam, why don’t we have any goddamn food?” Rayne demanded, slamming the fridge shut. He looked up at her, perplexed.
“But there is food. Like eggs, and stuff,” he said, “and milk. I definitely remember there being some milk.”
Rayne scowled at him. Uh oh.
“I can’t eat milk.” She snapped, folding her arms over her chest.
“That’s true.” I nodded in Adam’s direction, backing up my bitch.
“Then make something.” Adam said.
“You could do that.” I added. The man has logic.
“With milk?” she interjected, pointing at the fridge.
“And eggs and stuff.” Adam replied.
“I’m not a magician!”
“But you are an adult!”
“What’s your point?”
“Feed yourself somehow!”

“Shall I just make some pancakes?” I offered, swinging my legs.

They both turned to stare at me with defiant, bright eyes. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat and looked away. “It was just an idea.”
“We don’t have any flour, you dough ball.” Rayne eventually said, turning her attention back to laser-glare at Adam. He scowled at her and stood up, placing the equipment in his hands on the table.
“Well, I’ll go and ask for some. There’s only near enough a million bands out here with us – it’s not exactly a lost commodity.”
He threw her a victorious look at managing to get the last word, and marched off the bus.

I swung my legs a little more before breaking the silence.
“I won’t be able to live through over a month and a half of the amount of sexual tension between you.” I stated finally.
Rayne looked over at me with a chuckle, launching one the mismatched cushions at my head. I dodged it and jumped off the worktop.
“Stop making weird assumptions and go and clean up, you twazzock.” She laughed. I poked my tongue out at her and threw the cushion back, before slouching to the tiny shell of a room that should have constituted for a bathroom.

*

By the time I had finished brushing my teeth and freshening up, I was feeling a little less like a grumpy bitch. It turned out I wasn’t hung-over; I just didn’t like mornings.
Surprise.

Light hearted chatter and laughter drifted to meet me as I pulled on a clean t-shirt and pair of jeans before heading out. A collection of smiling faces greeted me, including Rayne’s and Adam’s.
It appeared he had bought back some friends.
“Hey, kiddo,” Adam called, beckoning me over as I stuck my head out the door, “come on, I want you to meet everyone properly!”
I fought the involuntary blush that crept into my cheeks at the idea of partaking in any kind of social gathering; people and I don’t get on.
“This is Vic, Kellin, Matty and Aaron. And, of course, you’ve already met Jaime.”
Vic Fuentes, Kellin Quinn, Matty Mullins and Aaron Pauley grinned back at me, waving hello, or offering a small “Wassup” kind of nod.
Dorks.

Jaime seemed to remember me, leaning forward to engulf me in a giant hug. I might have returned it if he hadn’t pinned my arms to my sides in the process: stupid, giant, strong Jaime.
I mumbled a quick “Hey, guys” but it came out muffled as my face was squished to his chest.
“I missed you, bubba!” he cooed.
“Bubba?” Rayne smirked, leaning against a counter.
“Don’t break the protégé, Hime.” Adam chuckled. He let go of me and I managed to catch myself just before falling off balance.
“Weirdo.” I said, frowning at Jaime as I readjusted my t-shirt.
“I’m hurt!” he cried, feigning wiping away a tear, holding one hand to his heart. I smile curled onto my lips and I laughed, elbowing him as he pushed me.

“Adam, I just remembered – Austin wanted to come up and say hi, too.” Aaron piped. Adam smiled and nodded.
“That’s cool, we’ll get some shots of you guys hanging out before we start then. Besides,” he looked over in my direction, smirking, “breakfast’s sorted.”
I narrowed my eyes and punched his arm.
“Fuck you, Elmakias.” I said. Rayne punched his other arm, grinning widely.
“OW!” he yelled. “What the hell was that for?”
“Seemed like fun.” She replied. I laughed again and hopped onto the worktop again.
The guys were watching us cautiously, but with polite smiles on their faces. I raised an eyebrow and stared back at them, wondering if they realised how unsubtle they were being.

“Why are you poop-heads staring?” I demanded after a moment of silence between us. Kellin and Matty both blushed, glancing at each other and looking away; Vic, on the other hand, kept up his defiant gaze and stuck his tongue out at me.
I stuck my tongue out back, going cross-eyes as he sat up straight and let a laugh escape his lips, lighting up his smooth face.
“Welcome aboard.” He chuckled. I giggled and nodded, feeling a little more at ease. “I’m Vic. It’s nice to meet you.”
I took the hand he offered and shook it, reminders of last night with Alex coming to mind.
“Same here. I’m Aleena.” I replied, just as someone knocked the door.

Austin Carlile swung it open, aviators perched on his head, looking ridiculously tall, despite the fact I was taller than normal seated on the counter.
“Aus! Nice to see you, man!” Adam shouted, getting up to bro-hug him. Austin smiled and hugged him back, smiling and nodding over at the guys.
“Hey, man,” I said, nodding at him respectfully. He glanced over at me and a grin curled onto his lips.
“Hey, miss. I don’t think we’ve met.” He said. I shook my head.
“We haven’t. I’m Aleena.” I explained.
“One of my apprentices for the summer.” Adam added, clearing the confusion on Austin’s face.
“That’s Rayne; she’s my mate, the other apprentice.” I smiled, fighting a hysterical laughing fit – Rayne had gone very, very quiet in the small amount of time Austin had entered the bus.

Austin looked over at her, taking in her presence; and kept looking. A small, soft smile appeared on his lips, as he moved his head to tilt to one side.
“Hey,” he eventually managed. Rayne looked everywhere but at him, throwing me a strange glance.

I sniggered and looked between the two of them. Hmm...interesting...
“FEED US, DAMMIT, ADAM!” she snapped.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry it took so long, my lovelies, but it's finally up!

Mad props to my bro/wifey/co-author for being so fabulous and patient and generally brilliant, and also to the wonderful internet for being the bane of my life. Love ya, dude. XD

Enjoy, I guess.