Status: Finished

The Anthem for a Dying Breed

"I'm alive" - Move Shake Hide, Marmozets

“I hate you so muuuuuuuch!” I whined, dragging my feet across the concrete after Rayne. She carried on walking towards the thumping music emanating from the club up ahead and readjusted the top of her dress to ensure she wasn’t flashing too much flesh.
She had eventually decided against the black dress and opted for one with the Batman emblem on instead, paired with black Converse. I was just in black ripped skinnies, tank top and Vans.

Partying wasn’t really my forte.

“You had fun on the first night.” she reminded, brushing her orangey-red fringe out of her eyes.

“Yeah, because everyone was shitfaced, so I didn’t have to make a fucking effort.” I grumbled, sticking my hands in my pockets and slouching.

“Well, everyone’s going to be shitfaced again today, so don’t whinge.” she replied, giving me a quick grin over her shoulder. “You got your pass?” she asked as we stopped a couple of feet from the club. There were big, scary-looking bouncers standing at all the entrances to make sure no one without a pass got in; Adam had gotten ours for us and arranged to meet us there so he could catch up with some friends.

I reached (quite indiscreetly) into my cleavage and took out the pass as Rayne did the same. We both giggled at the schoolgirl habit, and a few passers by gave us some weird looks. “Come on, then.” she said, beckoning me closer.
We approached the nearest entrance and handed the bouncer our passes somewhat hesitantly - this was exclusively Cool Kid Shit, by the looks of it.
The guy checked the passes, then handed them to his mate, who gave him two wristbands that he handed back to us, motioning for us to go on in.

“Eww, it’s yellow!” I moaned, sliding it onto my wrist and looking at it.

“I thought you liked yellow.” Rayne replied, frowning at me.

“Not with this outfit, I look like an overweight bumblebee.” I whined. She rolled her eyes and pushed me away, shaking her head as she made her way through the crowd to the bar. “For the record, I hate bumblebees, thanks for asking!” I yelled after her.
She flipped me off and I made a heart sign at her before blowing a kiss.

“What, you hate bees?” someone said in a British accent; I looked to see no one other than Dan, this time with Josh Franceschi by his side. “How can you hate bees?” he demanded, poking my shoulder.

“He means ‘hello’.” Dan piped, looking at his mate. “So...yeah. You alright, kid?”

“Alright, thanks. What about you?” I replied, watching JOsh wander off and start to grind on Sean Smith.

Wowsers.

Dan followed my gaze and laughed, noticing my expression.

“He gets dancey when he’s tipsy.” he chuckled as Josh started to do a moonwalk back over to us.
At least, that’s what I’m assuming he was doing.
“Shall we get a drink, Josh?” he asked, slapping him on the back.

“Get naked!” Josh whooped, attempting to pull his t-shirt over his head. Dan pulled it back down and let Josh wind an arm around his neck.

“We’ll get a drink,” Dan nodded, kissing the top of his head, “Come on, you too, kiddo.” He motioned for me to follow, and Josh wound his other arm around my neck.
These guys should drink less: they get way too friendly when they’ve had a few.

By the time we got to the bar, Rayne was out of sight and another pair of arms engulfed us.

“FRANCESCHI!” Alex yelled as I pulled away to see who had approached. “Joshy, baby! I’ve missed you!”

“Oh, Lex! Jack! Dan’s gonna get m’drink!” Josh announced, slurring proudly as he hugged them both.

“We heard the news. We’re sorry, man.” Alex said, patting his back with condolences clear in his eyes.

“I’m not - lets get naked, Franceschi!” Jack hollered; he knelt down and wrapped his arms around Josh’s legs, picking him up. For a split second, he teetered about, unsteady at having to carry someone else’s weight on his skinny shoulders: but then he managed to regain his balance and carried Josh off to the dancefloor.

I watched the entire fiasco from my barstool, eyebrows sky-high and mouth slightly open. Alex and Dan turned to look at me, laughing slightly. Alex seated himself between me and Dan, pulling one of my loose dark curls to get my attention.

“Josh’s girlfriend just broke up with him,” Dan explained, “he’s not taking it so well.”

“I think Jack’ll happily take up the vacancy.” I replied, nodding over at them slowly. Dan sniggered and Alex looked at me earnestly. “How are you guys, anyway?” I asked, putting my elbows on the bartop and placing my face on my hands.

“Not too bad, actually. Other than Josh and Lucie breaking up, nothing too bad’s happened so far.” Dan replied.

“Yeah, everything’s just started so fast this summer,” Alex added,” it feels like we’re already head first into the summer but I haven’t had the chance to even see any of our friends out here, you know? Let alone make new ones.”

“Mmm. Like this summer’s just going to fly past.” Dan agreed, nodding.

“Sucks balls.” Alex sighed, motioning to the bartender for a beer. “Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllls.”

“Big balls?” I said, sipping my coke.

“Huge.” Alex replied. Dan and I laughed, watching Alex trying to show us exactly how big.

“Well, if it sucks balls that big, what are you doing still sitting here, talking to me?” I demanded, though not unkindly. “Both of you - why aren’t you talking to people or dancing or whatever right now?”

“You’re people.” Alex said pointedly.

“Yeah, but not exactly the most interesting person here. Why not talk to that guy?” I said, nodding randomly at a person.

“Shut up. You just need some alcohol inside you.” Alex replied confidently. Dan nodded, sliding a bottle at me. I grabbed a handful of the complimentary peanuts and aimed for his head: he opened his mouth and caught one.

“Urgh, too salty.” he commented.

“That’s what she said!” I sniggered. Alex rolled his eyes and Dan quirked an eyebrow.

“Alright, you know what? Lets actually go party.” he ventured, getting off his seat, “Bring the bottle.” he added, motioning for me to get it and follow him. I did as I was told, having nothing better to do, with Dan by my side. I asked Dan where we were going as we weaved through the packs of bodies, and he shrugged his broad shoulders cluelessly.
After a moment, it became clear Alex had led us to the VIP area, separated from the ordinary cattle by more men in black and velvety blue ropes hanging from pillar to pillar. The guard let Alex and Dan through, with me close on their trails as Alex confirmed I was with them.

“Hey, ladies!” Mike shouted, immediately spotting us and heading over.

“Here,” I said, handing him the bottle of Jack. His face lit up like it was Christmas morning.

“How did you know?!” he demanded, grinning like an idiot. I shrugged. “C’mon, lets get wasted!” He caught hold of my arm and pulled me into the midst of the crowd.
“Vic!” he called, getting his big brother’s attention. “Your little buddy got us liquor! I approve!”

Vic turned around, spying us, and waved us closer. He was dancing with a pretty petite blonde-haired girl who I recognised immediately. No need for intros. Jenna McDougall.

My inner seventeen year old was practically jizzing her pants.

I took a quick inconspicuous deep breath and glanced around for the support of Dan or Alex: Alex was the closest, so I grabbed him dragging him along as Mike dragged me along.

“Hey, Aleena!” he laughed, leaning down to hug me with one arm (the other was trying to stop his hat falling off his head). “You’re here!”

“I’m here too!” Alex chimed, pushing Vic to get his attention.

“Alex, my man!” Vic added, hugging him too. “Although, I did see you like an hour ago.”

“Just feel the love.” Alex replied.

“I’m feeling it.” Vic insisted.

“That’s what she said!” Jenna and I chorused; I looked at her in shock, and she smiled at me.

“Hey, I’m going to get more drinks - do you guys want anything?” she asked, breaking eye contact and looking between the three of us.

“I’ll get them,” Vic began. Jenna waved off the offer and began to head to the bar.

“Don’t worry about it, just talk to your friend.” she insisted. The second she was out of earshot, I turned to Alex and Vic, letting out an insanely high-pitched squeal (probably disturbing the neighbourhood dogs in the process) and let my arms go full spaz.

“Oh my god!” I squeaked, gripping Alex’s arm tightly.

“What?” he demanded, shaking me by the shoulders.

“I. Love. Her.” I replied simply, stopping my fangirl moment. Vic laughed.

“We didn’t get a reaction like that. Did we, Alex?” he teased. Alex grinned, shaking his head.

Well, would you like a reaction like that?” I said, letting go of Alex and putting my hands on my hips. They looked at each other, then at me, nodding enthusiastically. “Fine,” I sighed, “prepare yourselves.”
They both exchanged a look, seeming somewhat anticipant of what was to come.
“Oh. My. God. Yeah...this is not happening.” I said, crossing my arms over my chest and deadpanning.

“What?!” Alex cried. “I feel cheated!”

“Damn, girl…” Vic added, shaking his head in mock disappointment, “I’m just…”

“Just what?” Jenna piped, appearing by his side, holding four bottles of beer. She handed one to Vic and another to Alex, then handed one to me. I took it with a small smile.

“So in love with me.” Alex replied, winking at me. I sniggered as she looked between the three of us dubiously. “Are you in love with me too, Jen?” he teased.

“Urgh,” she pulled a face, “I’d rather smell Hime’s feet!” Vic chuckled, screwing up his nose and elbowing me.

“That can be arranged!”

Jenna gagged dramatically, making us all grin. “I’ll go get him, shall I?” Vic added.

“Awh, hell no!” she yelled, shaking her head. “I take it back! Fuck!”

“Quick! Pick a forfeit!” Alex demanded, ever the diva. Jenna faltered, looking around frantically for an escape. “Too slow! You gotta kiss Ally!” he shouted gleefully.

“You what?” I mumbled, turning to stare at him sharply.

“Kiss her!” Alex drawled, Vic pulling kissy faces at us.

“Kiss! Kiss! Kiss! Kiss!” he chanted, fist pumping in time as Alex joined in. Talk about peer pressure.

Wankers.

“She doesn't want to kiss me, you sad bastards!” Jenna laughed, glancing at me.

“Did you ask her that, blondie?” Alex replied quickly.

“ ‘Cause it’s kiss her, or declare your undying love for Alex!” Vic added.

“Ahh, shit,” she exclaimed, extending a hand to me, “you’d better be prepared for a lesbian experience of a lifetime.”

I giggled, then tripped forward with a yelp as Vic pushed me closer; Jenna wound an arm around my waist, and I glared at the two guys.

“You sad, sexually deprived gits.” I said. Alex and Vic howled with laughter, doubling over and clinging to each other in effort to stay upright. Jenna arched an eyebrow, looking slightly annoyed at them.

“I know how to get them to shut the fuck up.” she murmured, bringing her face close to my ear.

“Yeah?” I said, as I wrapped an arm around her shoulders and tried not to piss myself in excitement. She leaned forward and tilted her head to the right a little, lowering her gaze to my mouth.
Holy shit.

I leaned closer instinctively and met her halfway: our lips brushed slightly and Jenna smiled against my mouth. I pulled away quickly, laughing it off as my cheeks turned pink. She grinned at me and we both glanced over at the guys: they had turned to statues, mouths, hanging open, eyes wide in shock and faces scarlet.

“It worked!” I exclaimed, letting go of Jenna. She loosened her grip on me, but kept one hand at my waist.

“What worked?” Mike piped, appearing besides Vic and Alex. “Oh, let me in on this!” he yelled, spotting Jenna and I, barging past the guys and enveloping us in a hug.

“Where’s Adam and his fricking camera when you need him?” Alex whined, stamping his foot.

“Who needs Adam?” Vic replied, slipping his phone out of his pocket and holding it up. “Permission to take a selfie?”

“Permission granted.” I chuckled, squirming between Mike and Jenna. Vic posed in front of us, and Jenna planted another kiss on my cheek. The camera clicked and we all let go of each other, babbling over one another to try and get a look at the picture.

“Mike’s face!” Vic chortled; while the three of us looked comparatively normal (what with Jenna kissing me, me blushing with an idiotic grin on my face and Vic smiling like an insane fangirl), Mike had decided he was too cool to smile and had stared blankly at the camera instead.

“Creeper!” Jenna declared, turning to shove him.

“Shit, man, if you want a creeper, check Alex!” I gaped, noticing him in the corner of the picture: he’d managed to photobomb, winking at the camera, and unnervingly well at that.

“Alex, you creepy bastard!” Vic sniggered, looking around for him. “Where'd he go?”
Jenna, Mike and I glanced around - there were bodies moving around us constantly, but none were Alex’s. “He’s disappeared.”

“Do you know what? Send me the picture, or tweet it or something. It’s too fucking brilliant, Rayne’ll love it.” I said, turning back to Vic. Jenna and Mike agreed loudly and enthusiastically, coercing Vic to be quick about it. He tweeted it promptly, and I hugged him thank you. “I’m going to find Rayne.” I added, pecking his cheek quickly. He nodded and gave me another quick hug.

“I’m going to go find Tony - catch ya later.”

We split up, heading on separate missions, and I called Rayne’s phone. No one answered, and I frowned, ending the call and glancing around.
There was a ladies’ restroom nearby, and I weaved in and out of the party-goers to push open the door and peek in.

A distinctly familiar unnaturally red head caught my attention; I stepped into the restroom and let the door close behind me, clearing my throat, arms crossed over my chest.
Rayne was leaning against a wall, a petite brunette pressed up tight against her: their lips were locked pretty passionately, and to be honest, I wasn’t sure if I could see where both of the brunette’s hands were. Ray noticed me and pulled away abruptly, letting her hands slip out of the girl’s silky hair. The girl turned around, flushed with chagrin, and excused herself in a small voice hastily.

As she darted around me and out the door, I sprang forward, grabbing Rayne’s shoulders.

“Oh my god, that was Tay Jardine!” I whisper-screamed. A sly grin spread over Rayne’s face, and her eye’s went hazy.

“I know.”
♠ ♠ ♠
my throat is fucked.

BTW, THIS IS SUPER IMPORTANT: THE NEXT FEW CHAPTERS WILL BE WRITTEN BY ZIRARA, FROM RAYNE'S POV, k?

have a nice evening, sweeties
x