Sequel: Zero

rewind

three.

"Fancy meeting you here again," it was her voice echoing through the empty warehouse, that much he was sure.

Ales lifted his chin to find the familiar young woman stepping over the bodies of a few dead men. Black had already begun to line the edges of his vision as everything began to fluctuate between focused images and blurs. It was like a dream. He lost too much blood and it was still seeping from his wounds despite his attempts to staunch it. Still, he maintained some semblance of pride as he greeted her cooly with little more than a blank stare.

"Looks like you ran into a bit of trouble tonight," she said, stopping in front of him and crouching to peer curiously at his condition. She gave a slight grimace and a low whistle as she realized how grave it was. "Those are some nasty wounds you have, Alessandro."

She brushed a stray lock of hair away from her eyes before extending a hand towards his chest. Normally, he wouldn't let anyone touch him, regardless of any reason. But at this point, Ales didn't have anything to lose by letting the young woman touch a dead- or a soon to be dead- man.

"But you're not dead yet," she murmured, her mouth slanting mischievously. "So I can help you a bit today."

The last thing that Ales could remember was a mysterious glow growing from the point of contact and an intense warmth reaching into his chest. When he lifted his eyes to look for hers, her eyes were alight with an unearthly glow that he had thought he'd seen the first time they met. It didn't hurt, but the pressure was so overwhelming that Ales felt himself slip away within a matter of minutes.